Knicks @ Suns 3-28-14

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FT shooting is very important and can be a momentum changer especially in road games.

We were spoiled by Mr Automatic Steve Nash when he was here so we never had to worry about closing out games when it came to FT shooting and technical FTs.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FT shooting is very important and can be a momentum changer especially in road games.

We were spoiled by Mr Automatic Steve Nash when he was here so we never had to worry about closing out games when it came to FT shooting and technical FTs.

You're going to hang with this? Of course it's important but on a scale of importance it's way down at the bottom as a stat and as a momentum changer.

If you're good enough to hit three-fourths of your free throws, you're good enough to hit the big ones and that's far more important than a simple average. Again, if he were a great free throw shooter it wouldn't even amount to a full point per game. We didn't lose a single game this year because of his free throw shooting. He might have been able to force overtime if he had been perfect from the line in the recent Rockets loss and that's it, none of our other losses could have been impacted by his FT's. You're picking nits. I'd like to see him improve in any area but I don't see how it's holding him back from anything.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're going to hang with this? Of course it's important but on a scale of importance it's way down at the bottom as a stat and as a momentum changer.

If you're good enough to hit three-fourths of your free throws, you're good enough to hit the big ones and that's far more important than a simple average. Again, if he were a great free throw shooter it wouldn't even amount to a full point per game. We didn't lose a single game this year because of his free throw shooting. He might have been able to force overtime if he had been perfect from the line in the recent Rockets loss and that's it, none of our other losses could have been impacted by his FT's. You're picking nits. I'd like to see him improve in any area but I don't see how it's holding him back from anything.
Our losses have been slightly impacted by his FTs misses cause its momentum changer. If a player gets a tech and you miss the FT, then the team that had the tech called on gets some energy. If the player makes the FT then the team that made the FT gets the momentum in their direction.

Plus you can't just look at overall scores in games when judging if FTs mater or not, a lot of those had garbage points or last second FTs in them.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Our losses have been slightly impacted by his FTs misses cause its momentum changer. If a player gets a tech and you miss the FT, then the team that had the tech called on gets some energy. If the player makes the FT then the team that made the FT gets the momentum in their direction.

Plus you can't just look at overall scores in games when judging if FTs mater or not, a lot of those had garbage points or last second FTs in them.

While he should improve his FT shooting, that's far from "the only thing holding him back." Improving his ball handling, reducing turnovers, and playing better D by not gambling and going for steals all seem to be bigger areas of opportunities than his free throw shooting.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You're doing a great job of not letting the facts sway your opinion. Not a good trait IMO. You're just wrong on this one. Anything can sway momentum but in general, free throws are at the bottom of the list. He's not a bad free throw shooter and I can't remember him having a problem with clutch free throws. We really haven't lost all that many close games the last few months. Most of our close losses occurred early when he was shooting an even higher percentage. Free throws are not holding him back from wherever you think he should be and isn't.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While he should improve his FT shooting, that's far from "the only thing holding him back." Improving his ball handling, reducing turnovers, and playing better D by not gambling and going for steals all seem to be bigger areas of opportunities than his free throw shooting.
Yea I was wrong to say that's the only thing. His defense is atrocious but I think that's the only thing that should be a higher priority for him to improve than FT shooting.