Knicks might be offering DA $6 mill

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3386183

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the Knicks continue to regard D'Antoni as their No. 1 target to replace Isiah Thomas and are preparing a "staggering" financial offer they hope will prove too steep for Chicago to compete with, thus convincing D'Antoni to spurn the Bulls.

It was widely assumed in coaching circles -- and even by the Knicks to some degree -- that New York's involvement was pursued by the D'Antoni camp mostly to get Chicago to increase its offer. But sources close to the situation were stressing Wednesday night that the rough monetary estimates in circulation from the Knicks, believed to be $6 million or more annually, are too substantial not to make them a real threat to the Bulls.

Yet sources maintain that Chicago remains D'Antoni's preferred destination and the favorite to land him, now one week since it emerged that the Phoenix Suns coach and the Bulls were a likely match. It's believed that neither the Bulls nor the Knicks have formally extended a contract proposal. One source added that the Knicks are likely to move quickly if they can't get D'Antoni by following up with an offer to long-standing front-runner Mark Jackson or recently fired Avery Johnson.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
So if these teams are desperate enough to offer him $6mil and bid against each other, tell me again why these teams wouldn't they be willing to negotiate with us for exclusive rights?

am I missing something here?...the laws of Supply and Demand seem to be holding up well despite what some on this board are thinking.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound like D'Antoni is using NY to get Chicago to commit. I don't think it would take an equal offer from Chicago either to get Mike.

Chicago is balking at D'Antoni's current coaching salary. So now you can say but I can go to NY and make 2 million more per year. Chicago says OK, will match your current salary with Phoenix.

I find it hard to believe he really wants to coach in NY. The media will have a field day should he struggle there.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I can't imagine DA wanting to go to NY. He can't handle the pressure from management or high expectations here. How is he going to handle that in New York?

Unless this is just a bargaining tool he's using to get to Chicago like Steel mentioned.

The saga continues.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Sound like D'Antoni is using NY to get Chicago to commit. I don't think it would take an equal offer from Chicago either to get Mike.

Chicago is balking at D'Antoni's current coaching salary. So now you can say but I can go to NY and make 2 million more per year. Chicago says OK, will match your current salary with Phoenix.

I find it hard to believe he really wants to coach in NY. The media will have a field day should he struggle there.

At least Mike is negotitiating it out, worst case he goes to NY, I think he would be well liked once they see his style of play and if he does anything, he will be larger than the great Jeff Van Gundy.

The Suns on the other hand are not playing this like they should be, this is their coach they should be getting something back......At least if you go by what Chaplin is saying here...it's all Mike wanting to leave, so why should the Suns not get something if it isn't all about saving face and saving bucks?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I can't imagine DA wanting to go to NY. He can't handle the pressure from management or high expectations here. How is he going to handle that in New York?

Unless this is just a bargaining tool he's using to get to Chicago like Steel mentioned.

The saga continues.

I don't see the whole expectations thing being a huge hurdle...The Knicks suck, so at best fans will know they can play his style and it will take 2 years to get his team in place. It'a not like they are going to expect him win by running with the garbage they have there today, just making improvements will be huge there. And if Mike can turn them into the talk of the NBA he will be loved. NY is intense, but he got run out of here too, there are very high expectations to win in Phoenix comprable to any team in the NBA.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Actually, if not for the bloated contracts of Randolph and Curry, the other pieces on the roster would fit DA's system.

Lee/Crawford/Robinson/Balkman/Jefferies/Q/Marbury/Chandler/Collins

All can run, shoot and defend. And they might buy out the option years for Curry/James/Q, according to HoopsHype, to potentially have some cap space already in 09/10 season after only 1 year. Not all that bad.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh please oh please oh please. I can't wait to see the NY media "bust him out."

He thinks Coro and Bickley are feisty...sheesh.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, if not for the bloated contracts of Randolph and Curry, the other pieces on the roster would fit DA's system.

Lee/Crawford/Robinson/Balkman/Jefferies/Q/Marbury/Chandler/Collins

All can run, shoot and defend. And they might buy out the option years for Curry/James/Q, according to HoopsHype, to potentially have some cap space already in 09/10 season after only 1 year. Not all that bad.

When did that become a D'Antoni system requirement ?
I think you meant run,shoot, and pass.

cly2tw

Reaction score
When did that become a D'Antoni system requirement ?
I think you meant run,shoot, and pass.

He doesn't teach or commit to defense, but he'd love to have guys who CAN already play defense without suffering much on offense. That's why he always tells that Amare had to play better defense blah~~. In other words, offense is the primary focus of his system, but defense is also important if obtainable without loss on offense. Players like Bell and Azubuike would florish in his system better than comparable offense-only guys.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I don't see the whole expectations thing being a huge hurdle...The Knicks suck, so at best fans will know they can play his style and it will take 2 years to get his team in place. It'a not like they are going to expect him win by running with the garbage they have there today, just making improvements will be huge there. And if Mike can turn them into the talk of the NBA he will be loved. NY is intense, but he got run out of here too, there are very high expectations to win in Phoenix comprable to any team in the NBA.
It's a two way street for sure in terms of DA leaving. I just think it's a terrible fit for him.

I think expectations for an improved team will be high right off the bat in NY, especially after the many years of crap the fans their have suffered though now. Honestly, I think the media there would think anything less than a playoff appearance would be a failure. It's not a patient market. The media isn't either. They're going to expect results, whether they're justified in that belief or not.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knicks spend money on players.. theyre fearless in free agency.. their owner and front office cares about the advancement of the team!!!

lawlz

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
So if these teams are desperate enough to offer him $6mil and bid against each other, tell me again why these teams wouldn't they be willing to negotiate with us for exclusive rights?

am I missing something here?...the laws of Supply and Demand seem to be holding up well despite what some on this board are thinking.

We might be "helping" D'antoni by not jumping into the mix. Im sure they all want to part as gentleman who still like each other. Sarver could have the mindset of, "since you wont cost us 8+ million dollars by resigning, we will be your puppet til you land whatever job you want."

Besides, its not like Suns fans would be surprised if we got gagootz while giving away a high profile and sought after head coach. Its not like SarvKerr has expectations to live up to.