Kliff said "this is not our standard."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Simple. Because there isn't another coach in the league who Kyler could play for.

Can you imagine Kyler playing for an old school NFL coach in a West Coast system with plays 15 words long and 80% of the time under center? I can't. Not without at least 2 years of adapting at least and maybe not then.

What you're describing is a bust, plain and simple. If the #1 overall pick QB can only play for one coach who hasn't even proven he can coach at the NFL level yet, then he's a bust on an enormous scale. What you're saying is, that if Kliff is fired, we need to get a new QB. That is horrifying.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A lot of confirmation bias in this thread.

I think a lot of us have forgotten or never seen what a young QB developing looks like. And that is understandable because we have never done it in Arizona or at least the closest thing was Jake Plummer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What you're describing is a bust, plain and simple. If the #1 overall pick QB can only play for one coach who hasn't even proven he can coach at the NFL level yet, then he's a bust on an enormous scale. What you're saying is, that if Kliff is fired, we need to get a new QB. That is horrifying.

I said the same when we hired Kliff and drafted Kyler. You are creating an inseparable duo. Kyler has run an air raid spread offense since he picked up a football and he now run it for 2 years in the NFL and undoubtedly will for a 3rd year.

I'm not saying he definitively can't run it ever, but changing 10 years of playing a specific way isn't going to change in a single offseason. Neither is learning to play under center (which he has also never done) and likely a bunch of other things that this scheme and coach doesn't do that most NFL coaches will.

How many NFL coaches are going to be happy trying to hit the ground running while having to teach a vet QB a bunch of stuff they don't know?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A lot of confirmation bias in this thread.

I think a lot of us have forgotten or never seen what a young QB developing looks like. And that is understandable because we have never done it in Arizona or at least the closest thing was Jake Plummer.
I'm not really frustrated with Kyler on this one - he'll have expected ups and downs that people have forgotten exist because of Mahomes and Jackson.

However, I am terrified that Kliff's dynamic offense just isn't that dynamic. I saw your other thread kinda putting the onus on Kyler for not executing, but in addition, we can't do much running the ball (from the RB position).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not really frustrated with Kyler on this one - he'll have expected ups and downs that people have forgotten exist because of Mahomes and Jackson.

However, I am terrified that Kliff's dynamic offense just isn't that dynamic. I saw your other thread kinda putting the onus on Kyler for not executing, but in addition, we can't do much running the ball (from the RB position).

But you can also say we can't do much running the ball because the linebackers don't have to worry about anything behind them. They don't have to drop back into zone or cover intermediate passes underneath because Kyler doesn't throw them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I said the same when we hired Kliff and drafted Kyler. You are creating an inseparable duo. Kyler has run an air raid spread offense since he picked up a football and he now run it for 2 years in the NFL and undoubtedly will for a 3rd year.

I'm not saying he definitively can't run it ever, but changing 10 years of playing a specific way isn't going to change in a single offseason. Neither is learning to play under center (which he has also never done) and likely a bunch of other things that this scheme and coach doesn't do that most NFL coaches will.

How many NFL coaches are going to be happy trying to hit the ground running while having to teach a vet QB a bunch of stuff they don't know?

Again, you're describing a bust. If Kyler has to have only one possible offensive approach, he's bustola. A #1 pick generational talent QB should be able to adapt. It shouldn't take him years to adapt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

One thing is though, the method that defenses are attacking Murray is quite beatable by MOST QBs. Murray just for some reason struggles at completing intermediate passes. I don't know what is going through Murray's head (I'm not Mitch, I won't say for certain), but I would guess that he is scared to throw over the middle because of what happened in the Lions game.

The running game is struggling because the Panthers and Lions basically had all DBs and LBs playing soft zones. This allowed them to attack the run with extra defenders and take away as many of the easy short completions that Murray was getting in the first two games. I think Murray WILL figure this out, it's not THAT hard.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Didn't you say you were jumping ship for the browns a while back? Or am I mistaken?

I sure did. It is good to take a break from the Cards occasionally to help keep things in proper perspective. Similar to a couple sometimes needing a break from each other in order to appreciate themselves more.