Kirk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
First -- that catch he made on a dead run was something:

You must be registered for see images attach

Second -- he is faster than we give him credit for

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

last year he had a game like this vs TB, but didnt really follow it up. Lets hope its different this year

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK said that Kirk was able to maintain his balance and make that catch because of "late hands". If a player reaches out with his hands too soon then it causes him to dive for the ball instead of keeping their footing.

Hey Kirk, you are a beast so grab Issabella and show him how to use late hands and track a ball in the air without stumbling and bumbling.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isabella did an interview where they were talking about track and she asked him which Cards would be on your relay team. i was surprised he picked Kirk but you're right, he's faster than we think, he just is never able to stay healthy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kirk is underrated as a deep threat and we should use him more. The routes we tried to Isabella should be to Kirk.

It was an underrated catch too. Not only was it fingertips but to stay in stride and not over balance and fall was always superb.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kirk is underrated as a deep threat and we should use him more. The routes we tried to Isabella should be to Kirk.

It was an underrated catch too. Not only was it fingertips but to stay in stride and not over balance and fall was always superb.

When I watched the replay my first thought was Andy never catches that. Faster but shorter arms and having to reach like that he probably falls over

Great throw let him run under it and just a hell of a catch.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
its a good thing that the Cards have two guys who have shown they can run deep

Andy has caught one -- regardless of the struggles -- a defense cant ignore him

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I watched the replay my first thought was Andy never catches that. Faster but shorter arms and having to reach like that he probably falls over

I agree. I don't think Andy catches that at this point in his career.

That said, this was a great play call by KK. The defense had to be scared about Andy as he had been running by them a few times in the game already. That post route he ran took the safety towards him, leaving Kirk wide open.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That said, this was a great play call by KK. The defense had to be scared about Andy as he had been running by them a few times in the game already. That post route he ran took the safety towards him, leaving Kirk wide open.

We actually had 3 guys going deep I think Hop was down the left side so yes as you said it took away the safety help and Kyler picked the right guy.

One of my pet peeves has always been on deep shots not giving the guy a chance. If you underthrow there's a chance for PI, or a comeback catch. It's the ones that are overthrown that drive me nuts a few feet ok, a few yards infuriating the guy has no chance and it's uncatchable so can't be a penalty. Kyler put that where literally the only guy on the field who could get it was Kirk, and he did. A foot shorter is better but I loved it. One of the things I always complained about with Rosen at UCLA was how often he overthrew open deep WR's, Kyler throws a better deep ball by far.

Wilson is the gold standard on it now although that kid in SD Herbert sure throws a nice one too. Wilson puts air under it, almost like Jeff Blake did, but more accurate.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/budda-baker-proves-his-worth-in-dallas

"When the play was called, I think I had just fair caught a punt, and Andy (Isabella) ran on the field," Kirk said. "He was like, 'We're calling the play. We're calling the play. You're going to go 80 yards for a touchdown.' It was kind of one of those where your heart starts beating a little fast."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We actually had 3 guys going deep I think Hop was down the left side so yes as you said it took away the safety help and Kyler picked the right guy.

One of my pet peeves has always been on deep shots not giving the guy a chance. If you underthrow there's a chance for PI, or a comeback catch. It's the ones that are overthrown that drive me nuts a few feet ok, a few yards infuriating the guy has no chance and it's uncatchable so can't be a penalty. Kyler put that where literally the only guy on the field who could get it was Kirk, and he did. A foot shorter is better but I loved it. One of the things I always complained about with Rosen at UCLA was how often he overthrew open deep WR's, Kyler throws a better deep ball by far.

Wilson is the gold standard on it now although that kid in SD Herbert sure throws a nice one too. Wilson puts air under it, almost like Jeff Blake did, but more accurate.

...and an interception. It is the 'throw it where only your guy has a chance to catch it' philosophy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and an interception. It is the 'throw it where only your guy has a chance to catch it' philosophy.

Right but don't overthrow by 5 yards. The guys that do that kill you.

The standard bearer for that is this one by Jimmy G that cost his team a Sb

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
better pic / diff angle

Talk about an amazing photo!

For the Cards to take the next step offensively they need Kirk to step up and be a true #2 WR. I had questions whether Kirk could be that guy but the last two weeks have given me hope that maybe he can.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
Talk about an amazing photo!

For the Cards to take the next step offensively they need Kirk to step up and be a true #2 WR. I had questions whether Kirk could be that guy but the last two weeks have given me hope that maybe he can.

I think that is just as impressive as some of the one handed highlights OBJ-like Ive seen: to catch the back half of the football with your fingertips at full extension while running full speed..... just amazing

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I’m not sure how many true deep balls Andy has caught. He gets shaky when he has to track balls that are high. That Kirk catch reminded me of John Brown catching a deep ball with his elbows once. Great concentration.