Kingsbury adapting offensive verbiage to match Oklahoma's offense

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by CFLredzoned, May 13, 2019.

1. Veer

Veer Registered

Wrong. KK is just helping Murray to get in a flow much quicker, which is smart given the limited time coaches have available with players. Why would he insist on his terminology? What matters is the actual play call, not if you call it Dragon, China or Banana...

2. gamebird98

gamebird98 Registered

So says you

3. Veer

Veer Registered

Come on. This has nothing to do with Murray's ability to pick up a new offense. Who knows when KK actually contacted Riley about this. Both were friends for years, so you can imagine they've been talking to each other about offense and schemes. KK might have picked up some of Riley's terminilogy well before we drafted Murray and installed it right away.

This is what I expect from KK: Get our young franchise QB comfortable quickly and put him in a good situation to succeed, doing what he does best. Being a rookie QB in the NFL is hard enough, let alone if stubborn coaches believe their system works. Ask Rosen and our 2019 coaching staff. I'm excited that KK is building the offense around Murray's strengths. That's the way it should be. So getting that little advantage of your starting QB knowing some terminology before others can't hurt. Will help Murray to grow into a leader as well, knowing some stuff already.

Cardiac, The Kraken and daves like this.
  4. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Umm, I think the terminology we are talking about is what they are calling in the huddle. They are not coming to the line and shouting out “ spider 3 y banana”.

Cardiac and daves like this.
  5. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Solar, there is a difference between skepticism and negativity. It just seems that no matter what comes up you find a downward twist.

Cardinals announce the are supplying the players with Safeway water. You’d come back the the season is doomed because they should be using Ice Mountain.

6. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Why should this surprise anyone? I've posted that people who interviewed him told me Murray has no concept of offensive scheme upon entering the league and never made calls/audibles/adjustments at Oklahoma.

Offensive schemes in the NFL are much more complex and DC's will eat this offense for lunch if they run a college scheme. The Cards most successful plays this year will be broken plays where Murray runs around and finds a guy open. Not really a recipe for success in my book.

As for the limited time with KK argument, that's BS. Murray has plenty of time to learn the offense/terminology on his own time. I'm not saying he has to have his head in the playbook 24/7 but there's plenty of time to learn the concepts and such.

Has there been any reports of Murray's work ethic when it comes to being the first one in or watching film? And I don't mean the Avengers.

kerouac9 and Delmar M Lewis like this.
  7. Delmar M Lewis

Delmar M Lewis Registered

Just asking mind you, but do you think most players entering the league have trouble learning the verbiage not just QBs as far as film study and work ethic I have no opinion on way or another

8. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I bet they told you Haskins was the best QB prospect since Peyton & that he is football Einstein in the film room too.

Cardinal and Frank like this.
  9. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

Why wouldn’t you just get this info from KM? He should know the numbering system and the entire OU playbook already? Hmmm

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Solar7 likes this.
  10. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Adjusting some verbiage to accelerate your quarterbacks learning curve is a good move and I am surprised anyone would debate otherwise.

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Jesus Christ.

If I have a new employee and I know of a way to make them more efficient faster damn skippy I’m leveraging that. Doesn’t mean my new employee is dumb.

I can only guess these viewpoints are from personal experience with posters trying to learn something new . . .

CardsSunsDbacks, The Kraken and daves like this.
  12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Stop making so much sense.

daves likes this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I’ll bet it was Haskins telling him this directly.

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

As someone stated earlier . . . limited time with players, unlimited with people outside the organization. Also, unlike Rosen, most players just memorize plays, they don’t have a hunger to understand the “why’s” so Riley can better explain the reasoning ruins concepts and naming conventions than can likely Murray, but keep rummaging around the bottom of an empty trunk to find whatever paltry lint you can to try to cast shade on Murray . . . it’s been entertaining, even if now it’s becoming a bit sad.

Cardiac, Krangthebrain and daves like this.
  15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I cannot ever literally recall anyone ever denigrating a coach trying to make an offense easier to transition for a rookie quarterback until this thread. Shows you just how dug in people are to try to find fault even where none apparently exists.

Cardiac, Krangthebrain and daves like this.