Kevin Sumlin gets his recruit

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sumlin’s not messing around. Glad we have a guy who’s motivated to sell the program to kids.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sumlin’s top-3 recruits are out of Texas. Picked up two 4* players today but only ended up at 48th overall and 7th in the P12. Seems they went heavy on the OL/DL which is refreshing.

Relatively positive development yesterday, but overall I am afraid Sumlin has been a colossal disappointment, in terms of game preparation, in-game coaching and recruiting, especially compared to Herm Edwards up north.

TJ

Reaction score
Not a star-studded class, but Sumlin actually recruited against reputable Power 5 schools for talent as opposed to RichRod stealing recruits from Sac State. We got a lot bigger on both lines and have a QB who has limitless upside. All of the JUCO guys have a legit chance of starting day 1. Also, 8 recruits will be on campus January 9th. It comes down to coaching at this point.

TJ

Reaction score
Relatively positive development yesterday, but overall I am afraid Sumlin has been a colossal disappointment, in terms of game preparation, in-game coaching and recruiting, especially compared to Herm Edwards up north.

Herm is relying on a lot of hype at this point, and a 7-win season, although better than what many predicted, is not a stellar showing. If Herm and co. can’t build off of that, ASU will suffer.

Despite the outcome, I still like Sumlin more than Herm.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Based on what? Herm not only had a better, surprising season, but has also put together a better recruiting class... Objectively, why would Sumlin be preferred over Herm?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a listing of the recruit class rankings as of now.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

PAC12 - 12/12 teams in the top 70
ACC 13/14 in top 70 (all but Louisville)
Big 12 - 8/10 (all but K-State and Kansas)
Big 10 - 13/14 (all but Maryland)
SEC 14/14
AAC 5/12
CUSA - 2/14
IND - 1 (Notre Dame)
MAC - 0/12
MWest 1/12 (Boise St is the only one)
SBC 1/12 (Louisiana is the only one)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Herm is relying on a lot of hype at this point, and a 7-win season, although better than what many predicted, is not a stellar showing. If Herm and co. can’t build off of that, ASU will suffer.

I’d definitely take him over Herm because he has years of experience in college with major success at two programs. I will be quick to jump off the wagon if he continues to stick it out with Marcel Yates though. Maybe it’s a money thing but they need to dump that guy ASAP.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’d definitely take him over Herm because he has years of experience in college with major success at two programs. I will be quick to jump off the wagon if he continues to stick it out with Marcel Yates though. Maybe it’s a money thing but they need to dump that guy ASAP.

Mazzone needs to be gone as well. Trying to force Khalil Tate into being a pure pocket passer was one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen.

TJ

Reaction score
Based on what? Herm not only had a better, surprising season, but has also put together a better recruiting class... Objectively, why would Sumlin be preferred over Herm?
Objectively, Sumlin has a much longer track record of success in the college ranks against far superior competition. I guess if you’re a star gazer, asu has a better class, but it’s not like asu raked in a Top-10 class. There really isnt much difference in the middle. If Grant Gunnell doesnt lose his Top-80 designation, our class on paper looks much better. Additionally, I thought asu taking 3 QBs was silly. Better to stagger throughout different classes than stack in one class so you can address other needs on the team.

TJ

Reaction score

I’m lukewarm about Yates. We had some decent defensive games and then some games in which the team poo the bed throughout.

What’s funny is Yates had Top-25 defenses at Boise State.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Objectively, Sumlin has a much longer track record of success in the college ranks against far superior competition. I guess if you’re a star gazer, asu has a better class, but it’s not like asu raked in a Top-10 class. There really isnt much difference in the middle. If Grant Gunnell doesnt lose his Top-80 designation, our class on paper looks much better. Additionally, I thought asu taking 3 QBs was silly. Better to stagger throughout different classes than stack in one class so you can address other needs on the team.

Should be very interesting to look back 3-4 years from now and compare the records both will have put up over that time...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose