Kevin Kolb is done (IMO)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not normally one to say this about players because it can be surprising when they "get" it, but Kevin Kolb is done. Over the first two games of the preseason I thought I could chalk it up to rust and just getting back into the flow of things, but he is broken. Maybe he was always this way deep down, but he cannot stand in the pocket and make a throw. The protection has not been great this game, but he has numerous occasions where he has held onto the ball for 3 to 4 seconds and taken a hit when the ball needs to come out. There isn't an offensive line in this league that could protect Kolb at this point, and I am of the mind to cut our losses, sign a vet or make a trade, and cut Kolb loose.

He is done.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not normally one to say this about players because it can be surprising when they "get" it, but Kevin Kolb is done. Over the first two games of the preseason I thought I could chalk it up to rust and just getting back into the flow of things, but he is broken. Maybe he was always this way deep down, but he cannot stand in the pocket and make a throw. The protection has not been great this game, but he has numerous occasions where he has held onto the ball for 3 to 4 seconds and taken a hit when the ball needs to come out. There isn't an offensive line in this league that could protect Kolb at this point, and I am of the mind to cut our losses, sign a vet or make a trade, and cut Kolb loose.

He is done.

He is. You can see him looking at the pass rushers instead of the pass receivers. His head is tilted down. Sad. Well I wasn't too keen on having a starting QB that looked like Jason Dufner the Pro golfer. Wait! CKW is an avid golfer. Maybe that's why he liked Kolb so much.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

He is done.
Wow I would've never came to that conclusion;) lol

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
What a massive waste of money. Somebody needs to be held accountable for the evaluation of this guy.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What a massive waste of money. Somebody needs to be held accountable for the evaluation of this guy.

You never know how a guy is going to take a hit, and I can't blame Kolb for being skittish after the concussion last year. The important thing for this team going forward is to admit the mistake, cut our losses and move forward with Skelton. It may not be pretty, but it is the best option for the Cardinals.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's amazing It looks like two different offensive lines when the quarterbacks are out there

The sad part is, it is the QB that makes it that way. I won't say our offensive line is good, but having a QB who can unload the ball when his back foot hits on a three step drop hides the lines limitations. Getting the ball out on time KEEPS defenses from calling jail break blitzes. IF I am coaching against Kolb, I send everyone up the middle and then pinch from the outside because I know he will duck his head with the pressure up the middle and slide right into my pinching rushers.

The key to beating the blitz is exploiting it, and you can't do that with your head down.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it's clear the whiz likes Skelton hence pulling him after barely playing before he had the chance to do anything stupid! That way he can just reference the stats when he names him the starter. I think it's BS I am fine with Skelton but dude has got to play and get in game action to learn I still have very little confidence he can even read a defense! If we're gonna roll with skelton quit f-ing coddling him!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You never know how a guy is going to take a hit, and I can't blame Kolb for being skittish after the concussion last year. The important thing for this team going forward is to admit the mistake, cut our losses and move forward with Skelton. It may not be pretty, but it is the best option for the Cardinals.

The time to cut the loss was before the bonus was paid in March. And the front office also showed very poor judgment in pursuing Charlie Whitehurst, who also proved to be a disaster. Meanwhile, there was an opportunity to move up and grab Andy Dalton, but the front office didn't seem to have the wherewithal to consider that. This organization just doesn't know how to evaluate Quarterbacks or O-lineman and its unacceptable

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
Well it's clear the whiz likes Skelton hence pulling him after barely playing before he had the chance to do anything stupid! That way he can just reference the stats when he names him the starter. I think it's BS I am fine with Skelton but dude has got to play and get in game action to learn I still have very little confidence he can even read a defense! If we're gonna roll with skelton quit f-ing coddling him!

I'm thinking Wiz is taking no chances in getting him hurt! Skelton will get more game next week. Something tells me Kolbs gonna get cut & a vet will be brought in just in case.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm thinking Wiz is taking no chances in getting him hurt! Skelton will get more game next week. Something tells me Kolbs gonna get cut & a vet will be brought in just in case.

It is my thought as well. It sends two messages to the team. One, John Skelton is our QB going forward. Two, no matter what your getting paid, you are replaceable and we are a staff that is willing to make the move.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kolb is not getting cut! No way they pay the bonus to turn around and cut him, not sure what the total cost of cutting him would be, just guessing its too much!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Put down the stat book and watch some film. Skelton has been getting better and better at reading defenses and working through his progressions. You can see it if you watch the replays.

His one big problem is that he throws high. I don't know if that can be fixed but we can live with that, especially if Ryan Williams and Beanie Wells can give us a consistent run game.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It is my thought as well. It sends two messages to the team. One, John Skelton is our QB going forward. Two, no matter what your getting paid, you are replaceable and we are a staff that is willing to make the move.

He already got paid and the team has no other options at backup. Just bench him and tell him to keep his mouth shut. He can be sent to the pasture after this season

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not looking at a stat book wise guy I watch the guy play and he make some great throws and then he also throws balls that should never have been thrown!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's amazing It looks like two different offensive lines when the quarterbacks are out there

I posted this in the game thread:

I think the blocking is literally worse for Kolb, a lot worse. They know how skittish he is, how quick he is to roll out, they cant leverage guys right or left because they never know where Kolb will be, and as a result they just get beat. And during those last few drives even on the rare play when Kolb got time he made the o-line look bad by holding on too long.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, nashman's exclamation points ARE persuasive...

...but I'm going to go with my eyes and say that Kevin Kolb is garbage. I don't think we'll be hearing from TJ or AZF for a little while. Kolb looks worse this year than he did last year. Wolf and Pasch were falling all over themselves to make excuses for Kolb, but at a certain point Pasch even just started saying, "You have to get rid of the ball there."

No rhythm.
No ball placement.
No consistency of footwork or delivery.
No faith from his teammates.
Get him off the roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kolb's net yardage tonight:

22 passing yards
-10 penalty yards
-21 sack yards

For a net of -9 yards. Solid. The safety only counted as -1 yards... otherwise he could have broken double figures!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

...but I'm going to go with my eyes and say that Kevin Kolb is garbage. I don't think we'll be hearing from TJ or AZF for a little while. Kolb looks worse this year than he did last year. Wolf and Pasch were falling all over themselves to make excuses for Kolb, but at a certain point Pasch even just started saying, "You have to get rid of the ball there."

No rhythm.
No ball placement.
Get him off the roster.

I dont know about all of that, but it is painfully obvious that the defense smells blood in the water. They basically kept sending the house just to see him squirm.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not making excuses for
Kolb I wanna see Skelton get lots more time playing in a game situation if we're gonna roll with him as the starter

Buckybird

Reaction score

No rhythm.
No ball placement.
Get him off the roster.
:thumbup: