Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by TJ, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

I would not consider Gordon over Drake for this offense but if I was Drake, he has more to gain on the safe side with the transition tag... then if he bawls out, he can still make more money with this current situation and a lesser deal later

mjb21aztd likes this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

So is Drake waiting for the free agency money to dry up to see if he gets a better offer?

If so, this seems to be a dangerous strategy if the Cardinals can remove the transition tag.

3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I think the Cards are dealing with him in good faith. I also think the Cards are pretty confident he’s not going to get an offer anywhere near what he was hoping for.

I believe Drake will sign a longer term deal and won’t be playing under the tag. All him and his agent need to do is look at the trend. Even if Drske played on the tag and had a phenomenal year the big money is not going to the rb position.

4. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

The fact that he went untouched is a pretty big deal. Any NFL running back should have made that run. One guy maybe had an angle on him, but that was about it. If he doesn't make that run, now we're talking about only two games over 100 yards. Evaluating a player is all about what you can replicate. The Cardinals didn't suddenly start using Andy Isabella because he got a 90 yard TD.

I prefer realism. It's gotten me far.

It uses in-game context all the time. If you think it doesn't, you don't play seriously. Fantasy dives into individual player performance more than just about any other coverage. It's the only place bad teams and bad-to-middling players are relevant.

5. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Then why didn't we see David Johnson making runs like that? I don't think he would have taken it to the house.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and daves like this.
  6. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

No, it does not at all. They do not give extra freaking points based on the actual context of a game and when a play matters

daves and outcent13 like this.
  7. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

I would imagine most teams would easily take Gordon over Drake, and I think it's pretty safe to say Denver never would've given Drake a contract like they gave Gordon. Drake, also, should not make more than Ekeler or Fournette...that makes 0 sense.

Solar7 likes this.
  8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

He made receiving plays like that... he looks pretty fast here.

DJ didn't get a ton of holes. I'll agree with you though, Drake ran with a bit more decisiveness or true speed depending on how you look at it. But I think we can come up with a lot of thoughts as to why DJ was tentative, whether it be fear of injury, lack of desire (not my opinion, but for some), or lack of understanding of the offense.

I'm guessing you don't listen to any fantasy football coverage then, because they don't sit there and exclusively talk about points earned. There's a lot of really wonderful information in there, and ESPN does great stuff with consistency ratings too. If a player is on the field because he understands the offense and is a better pass blocker or something, they will talk about it. I listen to an average of about four hours of NFL content a day during the season, and I guarantee that the fantasy podcasts talk more about player performance than the mainstream ones.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Veer likes this.
  9. DVontel

DVontel Registered

If I need to struggle to get yards on average, give me Gordon over Drake.

juza76 likes this.
  10. TheCardFan

Melvin Gordon contract structure:

upload_2020-3-21_9-47-29.png

11. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Heh welcome to the world of @Solar7 where an 80 yard run is a negative!

I dont know how many times over the years I looked at a Cardinals defensive performance and said I thought they played really well except for that 82 yard screen play that went for a TD.

The fact of the matter is that most big games by offensive players feature at least one explosive play that increases the YPC.

What @Solar7 doesnt account for in all his arguments against Drake is that Drake has averaged a very good YPC over the length of his career.

Vacard, Pda4976, daves and 2 others like this.
  12. Ronin

Ronin Registered

He signed his tender offer.

cardsfanmd, gimpy, outcent13 and 2 others like this.
  13. TheCardFan

Does that change the situation...is he still allowed to get an offer from another team or is that done now?

14. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

Smart move on his part. He wasn't going to see a big number like that on the open market.

Can the Cards still negotiate with him to add a few more years and ease the cap hit?

mjb21aztd likes this.
  15. TRW

TRW Registered

Yes to both. Smart move and the Cards can negotiate.

No, he is with the Cards for 1 year and approx. $8 mil with the Cards able to negotiate for more years.