Kent State @ ASU

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to believe game 1 is Thursday night. Hopefully we'll have a better showing than the Wildcats last night.

Not the toughest of opponents, but we have a lot of question marks and inexperienced players.

Should be interesting.

:grabs:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to believe game 1 is Thursday night. Hopefully we'll have a better showing than the Wildcats last night.

Not the toughest of opponents, but we have a lot of question marks and inexperienced players.

Should be interesting.

:grabs:

This should be an easy game. Allow Daniels to get through the butterflies of first start, have no significant injuries and win the game.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This should be an easy game. Allow Daniels to get through the butterflies of first start, have no significant injuries and win the game.

He needs a lot of in game reps, but we don't need him injured either. How long do you think he will play? I am thinking through one series after halftime.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I will be looking for a stream of the game or listening to it on radio. :bang:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He needs a lot of in game reps, but we don't need him injured either. How long do you think he will play? I am thinking through one series after halftime.

I am playing him however long it takes to put the game out of reach then I am going to Yellen. I want Daniels taking every meaningful rep.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm taking the over, Devils favored by 25.

48-13. Late garbage touchdown by Kent State but thankfully doesn't affect the line

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow it's going to be over 100 degrees and 35 percent humidity at kickoff. Hopefully heavy Eno and score on back to back possessions so I can get out early.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow it's going to be over 100 degrees and 35 percent humidity at kickoff. Hopefully heavy Eno and score on back to back possessions so I can get out early.

Kent State is supposed to run an "up tempo" offense pretty well. Should be a good test on our young defense, but will be interesting to see if they can sustain that up tempo in the heat.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kent State is supposed to run an "up tempo" offense pretty well. Should be a good test on our young defense, but will be interesting to see if they can sustain that up tempo in the heat.

It's actually gonna be more of an issue with the humidity... There are numerous sports teams here in the valley, from club leagues to highshool, college and pros that are totally accustomed to playing in triple-digit heat - but also with single-digit humidity levels. 35% or higher is gonna be a steam-bath at Sun Devil Stadium!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I hear they may be suiting up alum Jack Lambert

:)

Some full recordings of NFL games have been popping up on YouTube for me lately.

I watched a Steelers Vikings game from the 70s with him in it.

These are fun to watch. The players seem so small.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually gonna be more of an issue with the humidity... There are numerous sports teams here in the valley, from club leagues to highshool, college and pros that are totally accustomed to playing in triple-digit heat - but also with single-digit humidity levels. 35% or higher is gonna be a steam-bath at Sun Devil Stadium!

I just saw this on twitter from Kent Somers.

Kent Somers‏Verified account @kentsomers

104 and 23 percent humidity 90 minutes before ASU and Kent St kickoff. It might be an IV bag kind of game.

5:33 PM - 29 Aug 2019

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some full recordings of NFL games have been popping up on YouTube for me lately.

I watched a Steelers Vikings game from the 70s with him in it.

These are fun to watch. The players seem so small.

Lambert was Darth Vader, a scary man on the field, especially with those missing teeth. Glad he's not playing today.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Fubo TV is doing a free trial if anyone needs a streaming service to watch the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU loses an offensive lineman as announced before the game.

True freshman Dohnovan West is starting in the season opener for Arizona State, replacing junior Cade Cote, who suffered a broken foot Sunday.

That news came out less than an hour before kickoff at Sun Devil Stadium.

West will be snapping to true freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels. Cote, a junior, had surgery on his foot and could return for the final seven games.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...against-kent-state-jayden-daniels/2158344001/

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was expecting a bit more offensive production than this, but pretty good first-half by Daniels

The punter Turk has been awesome with each of his three punts being over 60 yards

Also good to see newcomer Jack Jones making an impact early that really bodes well

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was expecting a bit more offensive production than this, but pretty good first-half by Daniels

The punter Turk has been awesome with each of his three punts being over 60 yards

Also good to see newcomer Jack Jones making an impact early that really bodes well

Daniels has played well all things considered. He had to have had serious jitters taking the field for the first time, yet, he's mostly made smart decisions and has protected the ball.
A little surprised to see Eno struggling on the ground a bit. But again, first game and I'm sure the o-line - as is always the case, will need more time to gel.
Defense looks solid and our secondary looks fantastic.

Oh - and I LOVE how Herm has no fears whatsoever about starting true Freshman! They seem to be all over the field!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, the offensive line was an issue in the 1st half.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offensive line looked good in ASU's first drive in the 2nd half that goes for a touchdown. I suspect some adjustments were made as the running game came alive.