Kendall Marshall reactions/grades from media

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Decided to look around for some draft grades, analysis, stats and see what people were saying, etc. Then take that info (tonight's) and put it all on one page for easier viewing and to aid people's later speculative analysis.

Here is a bio

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kendall-marshall

5 - Kendall Marshall
North Carolina

Birthday: 8/19/91
NBA Position: Point Guard
Class: Sophomore
Ht: 6-4
Wt: 197
Hometown: Dumfries, VA
High School: Bishop O'Connell
Team Site Profile
Statistics

Mock: 20
Big Board: 13
Pos Rank - PG: 2
NBA Comparison: Mark Jackson

Strengths: A brilliant, "natural" floor general ... Understands how to control the flow of the game ... Makes his teammates better ... Has the height and offensive awareness to see the entire court at all times ... Always dribbles with his head up ... Rewards teammates when they run the court ... Makes throwing outlet passes look effortless ... Has a very advanced sense of timing ... Understands when to slow or speed up the tempo of the game ... A creative passer that also manages to be efficient ... Low turnover rate ... Operates equally well when running or playing in half-court sets ... Already knows the nuances of making good post-entry passes ... Can throw a highly accurate lob pass from anywhere on his team's half of the court ... Handles the basketball very well ... Wastes no movement and doesn't over-dribble (which is rare in young point guards) ... Is a good penetrator, despite his average speed ... Great reaction time and anticipation allows his to see plays before they develop ... Extremely high basketball IQ ... Smart defender that is capable of staying in front of his man ... Great size for a point guard, standing 6'4" ... Might be the best passer in the college game ...

Weaknesses: Scoring ability is practically non-existent ... Is the type of player that could average more assists than points ... Doesn't nearly have the same kind of confidence creating for himself that he has creating for others ... Lacks the shooting ability to command respect from defenders when he is on the perimeter ... Doesn't get to the free throw line much, and isn't a comfortable shooter when he does get there ... Not an explosive athlete ... Average footspeed limits his defensive potential ...

Overall: Kendall Marshall is a very talented point guard that is sure to arouse some interest in the first round ... If he can add a consistent jump-shot he'll be a quality starter because true floor generals are few and far between ...

Notes: Measured 6'4 (in shoes) 197 lbs, with a 6'4 wingspan at the 2011 Deron Williams Skills Academy."

Here is a cbssportsline page that has the stats for every college game he played this season (thus worth posting)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1780427/kendall-marshall

Here are the grades/analysis from during/after the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/draft-2012/tracker/draft_analysis/index.html

" Free-agent point guard Steve Nash made it clear recently that he's not coming back to Phoenix unless significant improvements are made. Regardless of Nash's status, Marshall could be groomed as the point guard of the future, a terrific passer who will spoon-feed the likes of Jared Dudley and Channing Frye on the wings. Marshall didn't score much at North Carolina, but here's how he explained it at the draft combine: "[T]here's a reason I didn't shoot the ball a lot. There are other guys in my team that specialize in that area. But I feel like when my number was called, and when I needed to score, I did so." "

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ts-anthony-davis-thomas-robinson-bradley-beal

"13. Phoenix Suns. Kendall Marshall, North Carolina.

If Marshall were a football player, he’d be Colt McCoy: somebody a desperate team tries to will into being a first-rate starter, who has enough intelligence, guile and skill to at least make a go of it — but ultimately too limited physically to be more than an elite backup (the comparison works all the way down to the fact that each was kept from his biggest college game by injury). This is certainly the case if the Suns cannot bring back Steve Nash.

Marshall has excellent size for a point guard and is a very good passer, but he’s not a Bird-Penny-Magic sort of inventor. His greatest gift in the passing department is the ability to see ahead in transition and complete long passes on the break. It’s nice to watch, but its practical applications are limited.

Much more important is Marshall’s absence of footspeed, his inability to develop a means to overcome this as a defender, his lack of pace to blow past opposing defenders with the ball. Oh, and he’s not a great shooter, either. No matter how desperate the Suns may be for a starting point guard, it’s hard to see Marshall as the answer. "

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/55906892?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

"Phoenix Suns: A-

Much of their rotation hits free agency, so general manager Lance Blanks said they would take the best available player with their lone pick. Whether Steve Nash departs this season or some point in the future, Kendall Marshall, chosen 13th out of North Carolina, is capable of replacing him. Marshall was the best passer in the draft."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/06/29/sixth-man-lillard-crashes-nba-draft-party/

"13. - Phoenix Suns - Kendall Marshall (North Carolina), Point Guard (6-4, 197) - This may signal the end of the Steve Nash-era in the desert. Marshall projects is the best natural point guard in this year's draft since Lillard was more of a scorer in the Big Sky. A natural floor leader who understands how to control the flow of a game, UNC coach Roy Williams called him the best passer he's ever coached.

"We are ecstatic," said Suns general manager Lance Blanks. "Looking at our board and who was there at the 13th pick, that was the guy we were targeting all along. Kendall represents where we are as an organization. Don't read too far into this as far as free agency-he represents everything we want to be about, as a player and as a person. He's a winner." "

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...by-pick-analysis-as-it-happens/1#.T-1dwvWOaIJ

"13. Phoenix Suns: North Carolina guard Kendall Marshall

The Suns say they want to bring back Steve Nash, but if the veteran point guard leaves, they have his replacement right here. Marshall is the best passer to come out of college in years, perhaps since Jason Kidd. He draws criticism for poor athleticism and defense, and he still needs to improve his shooting. But Marshall gets players involved. He averaged 9.7 assists a game last season and should, if nothing else, be able to take the reins when Nash does leave Phoenix. Grade: A- "

http://www.sbnation.com/nba-draft/2012/6/28/3114301/2012-nba-draft-results-phoenix-suns/in/2878299

"With the No. 13 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, the Phoenix Suns selected Kendall Marshall from North Carolina.

Marshall was the engine for North Carolina; the Tar Heels went off the rails when an injury knocked the point guard out of commission in the NCAA Tournament. A supreme distributor, Marshall has spent the pre-draft season convincing teams he can shoot and score, too; he was so reluctant a shooter in Chapel Hill that he averaged fewer than 10 points per game despite running the offense constantly. He's like the opposite of a Jeremy Lin: Marshall is a passer who dabbles in scoring. In the NBA, Brevin Knights are few and far between, but Lins last forever. Marshall hopes to follow the mold of Ricky Rubio and break that trope."

http://www.nbadraft.net/instant-analysis/2012

"13. Kendall Marshall | 6-4 | 197 | PG | North Carolina | 20
Wave goodbye to Steve Nash Suns fans, Kendall Marshall is your PG now. Marshall is the best distributing PG to come into the league since Ricky Rubio was drafted in ’09. There have been questions about his scoring ability, but don’t read too much into that. While he doesn’t fit the mold of the modern freakishly athletic PG (like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook), he should be able to make all the players around him better. –Seth Sommerfeld"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/19439248

"No. 13: Suns select: Kendall Marshall PG UNC Grade
Analysis: When I heard "Kendall Marshall," I really just heard, "Goodbye Steve." The Suns took what seems to be their new point guard and wow, what a downgrade. This is probably about six picks too high, and with questions about his speed and ability to guard, the Suns only regressed. Grade F"

The above seem to be various levels of professional coverage. Below are the more amateurish ones, yet still might be worth a see from an outside perspective. Maybe some of these are more like quasi professional. Who knows. Just saying someone had an opinion and here it is. So take it as if it was just another posters opinion.

http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrus...t-team-by-team-draft-grades-from-draft-night/

"Phoenix Suns: Love the pick of Kendall Marshall. Should be a Nash replacement. Wanted a shooting guard but the best ones were off the board. Grade: B-"

Rant sports also had a video so here it is....

http://www.rantsports.com/videos/20...es-kendall-marshall-to-phoenix-suns-at-no-13/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/wages-wins-2012-draft-grades

"#13 Phoenix Suns select Kendall Marshall

Grade: C-

Again, not a terrible pick. He was above average. His shooting is good, his assists are nice. His turnovers are bit high and he can’t rebound (even for a PG). That said, he won’t be replacing Steve Nash any time soon."

....and last but probably least everyone's favorite fan based crackerjack 'journalists' Bleacher reports

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2012-full-round-1-results-report-card/page/14

"Grade: A

It's impossible to replace Steve Nash, but it's also impossible to have made a better attempt to do so than the Suns did here.

While Phoenix will undoubtedly still make a serious push to re-sign Nash, Marshall ensures the offense isn't left in disarray should he opt to leave.

Marshall has tremendous court-vision, is out-of-his mind unselfish and is unstoppable in transition—just like Nash.

If Marshall develops a tendency to look for his own offense more frequently and touches up his footwork on the defensive end, the Suns may have a future All-Star on their hands."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So overall it carries some of the same themes we've discussed. Suspect shooter. Can't defend. Limited quickness. Good fast break and up court passes.

Interesting response he gave to why he didn't score much, but it also seems like something an agent would talk up his client to say. Might be something behind it. Might not.

Also seems to be a love it or hate it pick between people. Most gave good grades, but those that didn't scored us pretty low.

Hate is generally focused on shooting, athleticism, defense....or that it signaled to them that the Nash era is over. Love is generally focused on passing, fastbreak, etc.

Seems quite a few people think he's the best college passer in years, and best overall in the draft since Ricky Rubio.

Make you're own call. We'll see it if we see it. I love Rubio's passing skills since I started pimping him in 06. Seems he could be an All-star....could be a backup. Only time will tell.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I like Marshall but being the third oldest team in the league, having absolutely no talent on the roster and desperately having to rebuild really coming away with only Kendall Marshall in a deep draft is extremely underwhelming.

It's a joke, this front office probably still believes they don't have to rebuild... We will be in the same position next year sitting at #12-15 in the draft.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I like Marshall but being the third oldest team in the league, having absolutely no talent on the roster and desperately having to rebuild really coming away with only Kendall Marshall in a deep draft is extremely underwhelming.

It's a joke, this front office probably still believes they don't have to rebuild... We will be in the same position next year sitting at #12-15 in the draft.

Thank god the Suns didn't go get players after Marshall.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This pick was made for one reason.
1) Nash may leave or he may stay...but he'll take his sweet ole time deciding.

So the Suns basically made a "need" pick that fits the basketball culture. I cant get excited about this pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice presentation CardsFan88.

I'll be rooting for Marshall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So the Suns basically made a "need" pick that fits the basketball culture. I cant get excited about this pick.

Actually I think the Suns went with BPA on their board. I think if Lamb were there or some other SGs selected early, they would have been the choice. Not much to choose from after #13.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

great insight as to what nash will do:p

but yeah looking back on last night, he was the bpa and a need as well. which is maybe why some of us are dissapointed (i'm okay with it now) and not too exited. can't be mad about the reasonings here.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually I think the Suns went with BPA on their board. I think if Lamb were there or some other SGs selected early, they would have been the choice. Not much to choose from after #13.

If they really wanted a wing scorer they could have went Evan Fournier. He would have been a reach at #13 but not a bigger reach than picking Marshall in the lottery!

And Gambo tweeted that even if Lamb was available, the Suns would have still picked Marshall.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they really wanted a wing scorer they could have went Evan Fournier. He would have been a reach at #13 but not a bigger reach than picking Marshall in the lottery!

And Gambo tweeted that even if Lamb was available, the Suns would have still picked Marshall.

I am not a fan of Lamb, and would probably picked Marshall over Lamb too.

Summer leagues are coming. We will see.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said this in another threat but teams are going to force Marshall to shoot. Teams knew Steve could shoot and they employed that strategy all the time against Steve. Coaches like Pop and Jackson used to talk about it all the time...make Steve beat you. Steve was an all-star guard. They sure as hell are going to do it against a guy with a reputation for not being able to shoot.

IMO...defenses are going to have a field day with Marshall. They are going to keep him out of the lane so he can't penetrate and make him prove on a nightly basis that he can shoot. That is the part that could be disastrous for the Suns IMO unless this guy has some hidden talent for shooting.

My other issue with him is from a defensive perspective this might ensure the Suns continue to play lots of Zone to protect him like Steve or continue to put your best defender on the opposing PG which is more of the same for the Suns.

Simply not thrilled with this pick one bit. I might be able to buy that this guy could improve in one of those areas but both shooting and defense? That is a pipe dream IMO.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marshall is going to push the tempo and play up-tempo. Obviously he has flaws in his halfcourt game.

He is a lot like Jason Kidd in that regard. The important thing Marshall's jumper is not broken. It's nothing like Rajon Rondo. He will definitely get better in that regard.

If Marshall right now was also a great shooter and defender he would have been drafted #2 or even #1.. At #13 you don't get flawless players. If you are drafting a PG and have to choose 1 flaw, defense is definitely the best choice, least impact.

There are many articles that outline why defense from the PG position has little effect. Even the best defenders can't keep other PGs infront of them consistently.

My other issue with him is from a defensive perspective this might ensure the Suns continue to play lots of Zone to protect him like Steve or continue to put your best defender on the opposing PG which is more of the same for the Suns.

Putting bigger players on the PG for stretches is a strategy that is used by almost all NBA teams.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall is going to push the tempo and play up-tempo. Obviously he has flaws in his halfcourt game.

He is a lot like Jason Kidd in that regard. The important thing Marshall's jumper is not broken. It's nothing like Rajon Rondo. He will definitely get better in that regard.

If Marshall right now was also a great shooter and defender he would have been drafted #2 or even #1.. At #13 you don't get flawless players. If you are drafting a PG and have to choose 1 flaw, defense is definitely the best choice, least impact.

There are many articles that outline why defense from the PG position has little effect. Even the best defenders can't keep other PGs infront of them consistently.

Putting bigger players on the PG for stretches is a strategy that is used by almost all NBA teams.

I really hope it's a mechanics thing because he is going to be dared to shoot. Also, I remember seeing his shot selection chart and he only made I think 34% of his jump shots which IMO is a issue right out of the game and his overall percentage was boosted by his in the lane makes. With his questionable speed he will not get in the lane as much in the NBA which means more of an emphasis on his jump shot.

Suns have their work cut out with him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said this in another threat but teams are going to force Marshall to shoot. Teams knew Steve could shoot and they employed that strategy all the time against Steve. Coaches like Pop and Jackson used to talk about it all the time...make Steve beat you. Steve was an all-star guard. They sure as hell are going to do it against a guy with a reputation for not being able to shoot.

IMO...defenses are going to have a field day with Marshall. They are going to keep him out of the lane so he can't penetrate and make him prove on a nightly basis that he can shoot. That is the part that could be disastrous for the Suns IMO unless this guy has some hidden talent for shooting.

Simply not thrilled with this pick one bit. I might be able to buy that this guy could improve in one of those areas but both shooting and defense? That is a pipe dream IMO.

You're creating pressure on the kid when none exists. He's not meant to turn the franchise around like Steve Nash. The Suns needed a floor general and they drafted the best passer in the draft. That's a big part of the equation, but not the whole equation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For you "glass half full" types.

http://scoutingthenba.com/nba/2012/kendall_marshall.htm

Only the 5th True Point Guard to come out of the NCAA ranks since 2003. Kendall Marshall may not grade out extremely high compared to more athletic combo guards, however a True Point Guard makes his teammates better every game where a combo guard is normally self serving first.

To be a success at next level Kendall faces the same task as Deron Williams in 2005, he needs to go from a system point guard to a driving point guard that makes defenses react. If Kendall can make this transition into the NBA he will be the best player in this draft to build a team around, because he will make everyone play their own max level.

Draft Info: 1st - 3rd pick in value and could play most like Deron Williams to Steve Nash. Worst case scenario is he lands on a defensive oriented team and he does not have what it takes to put up big numbers. Kendall has something that doesn't show up on stat books much like scouts that watch Steve Nash. He makes everyone play to their potential.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Marshall were a football player, he’d be Colt McCoy: somebody a desperate team tries to will into being a first-rate starter, who has enough intelligence, guile and skill to at least make a go of it — but ultimately too limited physically to be more than an elite backup (the comparison works all the way down to the fact that each was kept from his biggest college game by injury). This is certainly the case if the Suns cannot bring back Steve Nash.

Marshall has excellent size for a point guard and is a very good passer, but he’s not a Bird-Penny-Magic sort of inventor. His greatest gift in the passing department is the ability to see ahead in transition and complete long passes on the break. It’s nice to watch, but its practical applications are limited.

Much more important is Marshall’s absence of footspeed, his inability to develop a means to overcome this as a defender, his lack of pace to blow past opposing defenders with the ball. Oh, and he’s not a great shooter, either. No matter how desperate the Suns may be for a starting point guard, it’s hard to see Marshall as the answer. "

I would love to believe he'll be more than this, but that about sums up how I feel. He could be a decent offensive point guard. Jason Kidd also had trouble with the really quick point guards. I remember Jason Williams used to go right around him time after time. The beauty of Jason Kidd was that he could slide over guard a 2 or 3 better than just about anybody.

The problem as others have pointed out is that #13 was just a pic or two too late to get one of the guys they really wanted, and they simply did not have the assets to move up. I'm not honestly sure who I would have preferred instead of Marshall at #13. I'm just not terribly excited about him. Perhaps we should have swung for the fences at that point and take somebody like Harkless or Royce White or even PJIII.

Now please don't go and sign a bunch of mediocre free agents for big money. I am begging.

Joe

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would love to believe he'll be more than this, but that about sums up how I feel. He could be a decent offensive point guard. Jason Kidd also had trouble with the really quick point guards. I remember Jason Williams used to go right around him time after time. The beauty of Jason Kidd was that he could slide over guard a 2 or 3 better than just about anybody.

The problem as others have pointed out is that #13 was just a pic or two too late to get one of the guys they really wanted, and they simply did not have the assets to move up. I'm not honestly sure who I would have preferred instead of Marshall at #13. I'm just not terribly excited about him. Perhaps we should have swung for the fences at that point and take somebody like Harkless or Royce White or even PJIII.

Now please don't go and sign a bunch of mediocre free agents for big money. I am begging.

Joe

Totally agree, teams don't get better by adding Colt McCoys, the league is littered with mediocre talent like that. You get great by adding transcendent talent, even if the bust potential is higher.

Further, what's the point of having a decent distributor when you have nobody to distribute to?

Here's to blowing tons of money on Mayo or some other mediocre talent!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Totally agree, teams don't get better by adding Colt McCoys, the league is littered with mediocre talent like that. You get great by adding transcendent talent, even if the bust potential is higher.

Further, what's the point of having a decent distributor when you have nobody to distribute to?

Here's to blowing tons of money on Mayo or some other mediocre talent!

In what universe would the Suns get "transcendent talent" at #13? I understand the misgivings about Mayo, but the McCoy comparison was made to a 20-year-old point guard. You've got to start somewhere, don't you?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In what universe would the Suns get "transcendent talent" at #13? I understand the misgivings about Mayo, but the McCoy comparison was made to a 20-year-old point guard. You've got to start somewhere, don't you?

Hey, Kobe and Karl Malone were #13 picks. :D How about potential future all stars? See Joe's list above.

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If there is anything that helps with the quote from the article above about being good in the fastbreak is nice but limited.....

While it still is a real and often limit, and we need tons more talent for him to do it, we are a team whose philosophy is generally fastbreak everyone to death. So imo whatever he turns out to be, the style we traditionally like to play (though haven't much that last few years) is what will serve and aid him best at being whatever he turns out to be.

One could easily say though that because we still had Nash, and this aspect dropped off, it was mostly/entirely because of the supporting cast, a cast that Marshall now inherits.

So on that note, we seem to be the best place for him, but it remains to be seen whether or not he was the best choice for us. For this draft, if the Suns wanted a pg that fits their traditional style the most, he was the guy. What that translate into we'll see.

We may have drafted him for a particular style, but forgot to add the other players to run it.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're creating pressure on the kid when none exists. He's not meant to turn the franchise around like Steve Nash. The Suns needed a floor general and they drafted the best passer in the draft. That's a big part of the equation, but not the whole equation.

Chap I never said his role was to turn around the franchise. I was looking at this from the standpoint that the Suns are saying "he is the guy we target all along". The Suns see him as a possibility to take the torch and be our future PG.

Simply stating that if he is in fact our future PG he can't be a one dimensional pass only guy to play that role. It's next to impossible to "coach up" a terrible defender. So, the only thing IMO that the Suns can do to improve his game is fix his mechanics so he is effective enough to be a starting PG for this team. He is going to have to shoot at this next level.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap I never said his role was to turn around the franchise. I was looking at this from the standpoint that the Suns are saying "he is the guy we target all along". The Suns see him as a possibility to take the torch and be our future PG.

Simply stating that if he is in fact our future PG he can't be a one dimensional pass only guy to play that role. It's next to impossible to "coach up" a terrible defender. So, the only thing IMO that the Suns can do to improve his game is fix his mechanics so he is effective enough to be a starting PG for this team. He is going to have to shoot at this next level.

Steve Nash is a horrible one-on-one defender, everyone agrees on that, but he was never actually taught to defend at a young age, neither here in Phoenix or in Dallas. By the time he got here, he was what he was, a player who was flawed defensively but became a superstar anyway.

The one thing he has improved since starting his second stint here is his team defense. He's actually pretty good at it. A lot of the problem is that the lack of competent big men over the years defensively have made him look worse than he really is. If Marshall can develop as a good team defender, I'm not that worried about it. The key is for the front office to put some good defenders around him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing he has improved since starting his second stint here is his team defense. He's actually pretty good at it. A lot of the problem is that the lack of competent big men over the years defensively have made him look worse than he really is. If Marshall can develop as a good team defender, I'm not that worried about it. The key is for the front office to put some good defenders around him.

I don't know Chap, I can't think of any player that was a bad defender in college "coached up" to be good defender in the NBA. I would say the odds of fixing his mechanics to make him a better shooter is a much higher probability.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hey, Kobe and Karl Malone were #13 picks. :D

As was Nash, so actually #13 has been a hot spot. But Chaplin's point still stands, of course -- just substitute "toward the end of the lottery" for "at #13."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know Chap, I can't think of any player that was a bad defender in college "coached up" to be good defender in the NBA.

Steve Nash, as far as team defending goes.

I would say the odds of fixing his mechanics to make him a better shooter is a much higher probability.

We agree there. Marshall actually was a better shooter than Nash was at Santa Clara. But now, IMO Steve Nash is the greatest shooter in NBA history, so if it can work for Nash, it can work for Marshall if he has the intelligence to do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave