Kellen Raab transcript

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been posting on the ESPN board and was nice enough to answer people's questions. It is a pretty interesting read.
----------------------
How does Carlos Gonzales look... i read you were impressed with shappi and millons... Any worries about pitching in lancaster (the park in particular)...

Carlos continues to get better every year. I have been on his team every year in pro ball and he keeps improving in every area. If things keep going the way they do I easily see him as the future right fielder for AZ no questions asked. Quentin will be moved to left for him. Shappi is good and continues to get by with what many scouts have said is average stuff across the board. He is extremely smart and gets the job done so I can see him outperforming his talent levels but on the same hand could see him struggling at the Double-A level. Milons is an outstanding athlete when he wants to be. It rins in the family to be a great athlete but he rarely turns it on. When his family was there, or it was a game with a huge crowd, he had great games. Otherwise he was average at best. He is still young and could really turn the corner but he really needs better plate discipline, shorten his swing, and cut down on the number of strikeouts.
As for pitching Lancaster I see it more of a challenge than anything. Being a low round after thought pick I have always set out to be the spoiler. Starting out as a reliever and breaking the starting rotation two years in a row, and to become the number 1 starter in the playoffs last season. I look at this as another obstacle to climb. I know its very much a hitters league and plan on not getting discouraged but I have improved leaps and bounds since I was signed so i hope that my improvements will help me adjust well to the level of play.

know its difficult to talk about yourself... but fill us in on what you have been working on. What kind of pitcher you are (ground ball, strike out, etc)- and what kind of pitcher you are trying to be... or what you have to do to be successful...

Ah the toughest thing to do. Talk about yourself and not try to come off as being arrogant or conceited. Well its a good thing I am only that way on the mound. Basically I see myself as the guy that got screwed along the way starting back in high school. I was looked over by schools and didn't even make the local Omaha area senior game for senior all-stars (I was an alternate behind 4 drafted players). I went to a Juco with a coach that didn't contact one school on my behalf because he said it was my job to do that. I ended up going to a Division 2 school and had a horrible year and fell far in the draft when early in the year I had higher expectations from scouts. Spent a year out of baseball in 2003 and basically became the guy nobody knew and was passed over. Extended spring training came around and I outperformed everyone there and was given the closer job. Got to Yakima and they traded for a guy to close and I became the set-up guy. With injuries I worked my way into the starting rotation and finished 12th in ERA. South Bend, 2005, I started out by hanving to back up a young dominican that couldn't spell his own name and took over the starting job in 2005. I became the only pitcher in the organization to go at least 5 innings in every start for the season (Nippert went 3 coming off his first start from rehab otherwise he would be there too). I became the first starter for the playoffs and went 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in the playoffs.

Finally I am starting to believe they have some interest in me and I plan on making them look smart for taking a chance on me. Like the underdog that gets his chance and steps up. I have improved every season and I am always working on something to get better. I have always been trying to perfect my change-up with my slider being my main emphasis this year. i have been dropping down sidearm to elfties the past two seaons and developed a change-up from that arm angle to go with it. I am always trying to become a student of the game and learn what to throw when with certain hitters and situations. I was always a ground ball pitcher, but since becoming a pro I have been more a strikeout guy with a pretty even gb/fb ratio. I am trying to cut down on the hits I give up, but the majority of the hits I give up are bloopers and ground balls that find a hole. I am very much working on getting more downward plane since lancaster is known for the homeruns. I look forward to it though so I can go and show them I have what it takes to make it in the organization.

Most of the scouting reports I have read on you say you have an ok fastball, upper 80s - low 90s, (I guess being tall brings an expectation now that you have to hit upper 90's regularly) but your best pitch is your changeup. 2 pitches are ok when you're in the bullpen but you've been a starter and it seems you prefer to remain a starter. Do you have other pitches you are comfortable (effective) with, are you working on developing something (I'm sure everyone plays with things but beyond that), or do you think your best bet in the bigs will be out of the pen?

Aside from that, Lancaster has been a launching pad, with baseball being such a stat driven game how do you/we guage success &/or development when the league & locations inflate your numbers, in your case negatively?

As to my ok fast ball, with some places saying I am a soft tossing lefty i totally know what they are getting at. I tend hit every MPH in every inning within 10 miles per hour. I usually start off every inning just going out to throw a strike and hitting about 84. Two pitches later I could hit 93. So my range is so much that I am perceived more as inconsistent and soft throwing when in reality I like to mix up speed so they can't get exact timing down. my change up has become my best pitch and only in one year. it was my project last year and came on strong. I use a slider but it is said to be average at best, but it definitely keeps them guessing. its more of a slurve and can be very effective at times. It get lefties ten times better than righties though. I use my sidearm delivery on occassion to lefties since I dont throw a change up to them.

As for starting or relieving it wouldn't matter one bit to me in the big leagues as long as I am there. I have done it all so far as a pro from starter, long reliever, short reliever, set-up, and closer. So to me I have experienced it all so I don't have a preference.
With lancaster from what everyone has told me is that you can expect around 2 point higher ERA than the year before. thats obviously an average with some guys getting better, staying the same, or just getting blown away. I guess it definitely brings out the prospects and pretenders with it being hitter friendly. This is definitely year to put up or shut up. I would love to get off to a great start and make a mid-season jumpt to pitcher friendly Tennessee.

What do you think about Jarred Ball?

He is a good guy, very quiet. As a player I think he is undersized for a centerfielder. Sure you will say guys like Lofton have made it but I dont see him with the same speed or level of defensive play. I think you really need a great bat if you don't have the amazing defense. he is still very young and has been adding size from the years I have seen him. he started to come on later so I think he finally is starting to play up to his orginal thought level of play.

Why do you think Jamie D'Antona had such a bad season last year?

Jamie had amazing numbers his first year in Yakima due to the level of pitching to be less than par. He was able to cover up his numbers in Lancaster because of the hitters league and post great numbers. When he went to El paso and Tennessee his holes really started to show. He has a long lumbering swing that tends to miss a lot of off-speed pitches. I know other guys have said if you have a power fastball you can easily bust him inside and jam him. he really needs to shorten his swing to cut down on the number of groundouts and strikeouts. He also needs a lot of work defensively because he is average at best at third. hence the move to first base.

Have you met Terrero/ Hairston? Why does it seem they're getting short-changed? Meaning no real shot in the Majors?

Hairston is an awesome guy that is without a position. He doesnt provide the power for a corner outfielder, and they never seem to give him a chance in the infield. I think given the right situation he could flourish, much like a Marlins team this year getting a lot of ab's.
As for terrero I probably wouldn't give two craps if he released. When he was kicked out of the PCL for hitting the kid in the stands with a ball he came and joined us in extended. He never ran out any ball and was even thrown out by the centerfielder at first on a lazy blooper. he didn't want to play in the field and often DH'ed. he showed up for the games only and would say he didn't deserve to be there. He was worthless and his work ethic showed up greatly. he has the tools but he doesn't live up to them by any means.

Baseball America says you have the best Changeup in the organization. If you are able to get it up to 93, and change speeds and throw strikes, and mix in a great changeup, you must be VERY tough to hit. I'm sure you will continue to do great.

Do you compare yourself much to any established major leaguers? Anyone you like to model yourself after?
Trevor Hoffman comes to mind
(other than the fact that you are lefty and he is righty)

I have talked with many guys I have played against, usually the next day during BP while I am running. Several guys have said they had no clue what I was doing out there, with movement going every way. It defi nitely boosted my confidence and realized that its just a matter of getting the right pitches at the right time to batters and more of those cheap hits will turn into outs. I would love to say my favorite pitcher currently is Andy Pettite, because we are the same size and left handed. I probably wouldn't compare myself to many pitchers because if you ask anyone I play with I have my own way of pitching. its actually kind of weird to watch on tape because i sit there and say, "I pitch like that???" So if you find a quarky lefty that is a toal goofball then thats me for sure.

Heres a couple softballs...

1. best and worst things about minor leagues....
2. Best "groupie" experience (if any)... i think you know what im getting at here... the "scenery"

Best:

1. getting paid to play the best game out there.
2. Im not going to lie its easier to meet girls.
3. meeting lots of great guys and creating friendships.
4. traveling across the country.
5. getting a baseball card. (grew up collecting and getting autographs)
6. now giving autographs instead of asking (though i still do in spring training)
7. knowing you have a chance to live out your dream.

Worst

1. the pay in the minors (i make more a month in my offseason job)
2. the travel on busses (I have a bad right knee and it hurts sitting so long)
3. some of the stadiums we play in are horrible and the cities rank up there.
4. locker rooms and spreads (normally are small and dank, and spread are usually some PBJ sandwiches and fruit)

As for "experiences" I don't feel like getting banned tonight for explicit material. Lets just say that there has been a fair share of crazy things to happen to me and my teammates. If I didn't think i would shock my parents and friends and have them shun me I would definitely think about writing a book. i am sure it would sell and tell the real truth in pro sports.

I suspected something was up with that post about Kolberg possibly quitting.

Yeah thats just what has been going around. he hasn't returned my call as of yet. he is a space cadet so I really don't expect that call.

I was wondering what your take was on Ross Ohlendorf. He had some dominant outings, but was blown away at times. Given his age and power fastball it seems to me that he might be better suited as a reliever.

Ross is definitely your typical Princeton Ivy League type. He is a great guy but he over thinks EVERYTHING. Before every start he likes to test himself my doing long logic problems. Like you said, some nights he was amazing, and others you questioned why he went so high in the draft. he has an amazing fastball, but his other pitches are far behind it. His changeup isn't a big enough change in speed with no movement. His slider when it is on is a plus pitch, but it is rarely there. He is constantly working on things and seriously will throw 60 pitch bullpens in between starts to work on things. i think once he lets his brain rest a little and pitches he could become a great pitcher. like you said though he fits more of a reliever than starter with his high pitch counts.

Who have been the toughest Dback batters you have faced? Particularly interested in any ab's against Jackson, Quinten or Drew.

I have never faced Jackson or Drew(he joined lancaster in June). I did face Quentin once and I got him to fly out. the funny thing is when I pitch in intrasquad games I tend to get hit more by the end of the lineup guys rather than the big sticks. I have gotten guys like Chris Carter to K time after time. Jon Zeringue and Jamie D'Antona have rolled over some grounders when i have pitched to them. But the big hits I have given up were to guys like Adam haley, Billy Lockin, Wilkin Castillo, and Marcus Townsend. I have yet to give up a homerun to a Dbacks player in a game so I cant say someone really got me, but Townsend(no longer around) took me to the wall.

With the exception of Carlos Gonzales, most of the Dbacks top prospects were in AA/AAA last year. Have you seen (either in spring training or in South Bend) any lower level guys that you think might have breakout seasons in '06?

Here is a list of players in South Bend that I could see having good season, I havent seen most of the guys in Yakima or Missoula.

Wilkin Castillo
Alberto Gonzalez
Cesar Nicolas
Adam Howard
Matt Elliott
Ross Ohlendorf
Koley Kolberg (if he quits or not)

from what I hear Greg Smith was probably the best in Missoula. I didnt hear much from anybody about guys in Yakima but Torra should do well. With Ryan Daugherty should be a project to build on. Josh Ford I heard was doing well as a catcher. The rest you have probably heard of.

How about this one... as far as pitchers - opposing or not... who has had the best "stuff"? Best Sinker?

Thomas Diamond, Eric Hurley, Garrett Mock, Dustin Nippert, Jair Jurrgens are just a few pitchers who have really impressed me the past couple years. There are more but I am drawing some blanks with these for the moment.

Best sinker- is a guy I work out with...Scott Munter was a rookie with San Fran his is by far the best I've seen ever.

Nippert the real deal?

No doubt. he will be around for awhile in my opinion. He has the stuff, if he can stay healthy.

Which would you prefer (in regards to 2B & SS) - 2 guys that bring the glove but just ok with (or have no) stick, or 2 guys that swing a big stick (by position standards) but are liability in the field? <br><br>How much of an impact do your 2B & SS have on how you pitch the game? I know Hudson is going to be at 2B for some time, but prior to his arrival would you have been ok sub'ing some D for O in Hairston's case?

That is a great question. I actually had this scenario happen this year. Our up the middle combo was easily the best I've ever played with and one of the best I've seen. The two of them knew exactly what the other was doing and made regular sportscenter type plays weekly. They combined for 3 homeruns this season but brought great defense and speed. Our SS Alberto Gonzalez had a good average but he didnt have the power and neither did Emilio Bonifacio. If you can put power around them in the lineup then I definitely say defense over offense.

hehe... defense over offense... not biased of course...

Trust me if you saw these two play, and had the offense we had in that league you would definitely saw defense over offense. They were amazing together. Very much looking forward to playing with them next season.

I've heard good things about those 2, if I remember correctly didnt Bonifacio have a ton of stolen bases (and was caught quite a bit too)? <br><br>So with an "ok" offensive team you would take the bats over the gloves? <br><br>If someone had to close out a game for you (save), he starts out the 9th against the heart of the other teams order you're up by 1 (its a hypothetical, we both know you would finish the game), who do you want finishing the game?

I still take more defense than offense. I still think its very traditional to have a defensive guy there. I would never expect them to produce offensively if they can field all the ground balls for me. Bonifacio is quick and did steal a lot, and also got caught as well.

If I had to choose a closer I would seriously go to Matt Elliott. That guy only blew two saves this past season. Thats amazing for being a first time closer. I'd definitely give him the ball in the 9th.

I heard Elliot's stuff wasnt very good and that he was basically dominating because he was playing too low in the system. From you're response I guess you disagree with that assessment. His season stats were something else.

He rarely threw offspeed so he didn't really get the chance to display his stuff. he just used his fastball most of the time. I know his has a tear in his UCL but he had been pitching through it and its not enough for surgery so we'll see how things go for him this season.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
He have a user name? If so, I'm gonna shoot him an Email and see if he'd be interested in posting here.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
He have a user name? If so, I'm gonna shoot him an Email and see if he'd be interested in posting here.
His user name there was klrgumby, however all those posts were in a thread entitled "Last day of posting for awhile."

AZZenny

Reaction score
Kid's got the ego of an Ace -- and if he flops on the mound, he might be a scout. I hear via grapevine he's a very nice guy, but outspoken. I saw an interview with AJ Shappi last summer where he also was not into the Bull Durham cliches -- although didn't get into judging his teammates so publically.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Gee... isn't there another "outspoken" pitcher that we have had an acquaintance with on the baseball boards... sounds like he would fit right in with the crowd!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
FinleyLover said:
Gee... isn't there another "outspoken" pitcher that we have had an acquaintance with on the baseball boards... sounds like he would fit right in with the crowd!
What a curt thing to say. :D