Keim on the Herd

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too much chagrin around here I’ve always said Larry is overrated in this category. Captain or no captain.

Larry was an amazing player, and he is a very nice dude but I don't think he is a leader of men, especially regarding football
He is a quite dude who has probably different interests then 95% of the nfl players and I guess he prefer to mix in the elite circles then being around some of his team mates

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are different types of leadership. I wouldn’t go as far as to say Larry wasn’t a good leader. Just from what I read it seems he is the type of leader/teacher that leads by example. How he practices.. not taking vet days off at times.. help the younger guys when they have questions.. he expect you to self motivate yourself for a game.

Then you have some leaders who can fire up the team. Some people need that type of leadership. The Ray Lewis types.. Seems like that was what this team lacks in leadership..

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought KM yelling at Hop and other players was the example of being that fired up leader...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aside from money, could be a good indication of why Larry & Pat aren't currently Arizona Cardinals.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Aside from money, could be a good indication of why Larry & Pat aren't currently Arizona Cardinals.

Leaders lead by example.... When PP21 and Fitz are drifting towards the bottom stat wise their leadership skills probably dont hold much water. Just my two cents.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watt is about D, since Chandler was out our D had only PP21 and Baker. PP21 isn't a leader, we all knew that already, and Baker isn't the veteran all listen to, mainly on the DLine they normally don't listen to this small players.

JJ Watt brings leadership to the table. Probably even one that is needed. I don't know if it is really all said and done. But we will see in december how it went.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watt is about D, since Chandler was out our D had only PP21 and Baker. PP21 isn't a leader, we all knew that already, and Baker isn't the veteran all listen to, mainly on the DLine they normally don't listen to this small players.

JJ Watt brings leadership to the table. Probably even one that is needed. I don't know if it is really all said and done. But we will see in december how it went.
So why was PP21 a captain then?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great question from cowherd about QBs and stars having a voice. Its unfortunate that the chain of command and roles has gotten so a** backwards in pro sports but the reality is that it is going that direction for good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
While you need team leaders, leadership should come from the head coach. KK doesn't have it and is probably why he's been a loser as a head coach.
Leadership is always an interesting topic. In my experience most head coaches come with the work ethic but I can't say that for all. The other three traits in my experience that matter for HCs are respect given to the player, holding players accountable, and then do the players trust the HC to put them in positions to succeed. How that translates to "leadership" is debatable.

In the NFL, I do believe the attitude of the best players on your team does matter. Are they about the scheme or themselves? Are they about putting in the extra work needed, physical and mental? Do they hold themselves and others accountable? When it comes to Larry and Peterson in these areas and compared to Watt, Butler and others, you can see a difference. In style if nothing else.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Captain is a popularity contest nothing more or less. Just because you are well liked doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good leader.
Hard to argue this, especially in sports leading up to and including high school. A little trickier at the collegiate level. A good college coach would be much better at noticing a leader, but if the 3rd string QB is the best leader on the team, he's definitely NOT being named captain. I've never played professional sports, but can't imagine it being much different than my college analogy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose