Keim on signing players with injuries

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the majority of players in the NFL have suffered injuries and have missed playing time especially offensive and defensive linemen.

Few NFL players are injury free. Players are bigger and faster than ever. Football is a brutal sport and more injuries are occurring every year. Check the injury reserve list, it's larger than ever. IMO criticizing Keim for signing players that have had injuries is foolish as they all have especially the free agents. Players like Fitz and Patrick Peterson are really exceptions. Sadly that is not going to change.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I'm going to vehemently disagree. He hasn't just signed regular players that have had regular injuries on the offensive line. He's signed/traded for OL players who have serious, continuous injury problems. See Gilbert. It really hurt us last year, and this year, he hasn't learned his lesson.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree too. Our line has been way below average as far as health goes, IR, etc. I'd look at our training program and our player evaluation. Durability needs to be much higher on Keims appraisals
He keeps signing the same kind of injury-prone OL guys, not just guys that have been injured and it keeps biting us. You'd think by law of averages we'd have hit on some of these guys by now.
On the OL, he keeps swinging for the fences and missing.

Oddly, he seems to be the opposite on our homegrown talent. John Brown and Golden were both oft-injured while here but also showed quite a bit when healthy. To see both of those guys walk while we bring in the limping dead is frustrating.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Unfortunately the best guys available at a reasonable price are always injury-prone. Of course you can go all-in on Mosley and Trent Brown, who have been dependable in their careers. But you have to overpay big-time to have a chance at those guys. And who guarantees that they stay healthy, since both are around 30 years already.

You can sign players who are well below average but dependable in FA. Or you can sign above average players who have some sort of medical red flags. If it works out, you look like genius. If not, the cost isn't killing your roster long-term like it would if Mosley or Trent Brown flame out.

Sweet D

Reaction score
Kevin White vs Golden Tate. End of argument. Plenty of healthy players to sign. Kim likes to try to steal players coming off of injury. Blue-light specials are lit because no one else wants the product.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point basically is that pro football is a brutal sport and few players are injury free. I've been a fantasy football player for over 20 years and I'm always on the waiver wire to get a replacement for one of my QBs, RBs or WRs that are injured. It's just the nature of the game.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Previous injuries are cooked into their price tag. Another reason to build through the draft instead of FA. Younger and cheaper. But it's really all about luck with most of these injuries. Depth is so key, especially in the trenches and at RB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kevin White vs Golden Tate. End of argument. Plenty of healthy players to sign. Kim likes to try to steal players coming off of injury. Blue-light specials are lit because no one else wants the product.

Tate got more money than I would be willing to spend. Good chance he declines very soon.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This take is extraordinarily bad. Yes, injuries happen in the NFL, but certain positions and injuries tend to be chronic and debilitating: soft tissue injuries for wideouts tend to recur, back injuries for offensive linemen tend to be crippling.

If a guy is injured a few years running, and doesn't find his way back from the injury or finds a way to play through it, you can't depend on that player in the future.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If ARZ addresses the OL early in anticipation of guys like Humphries, Pugh & Gilbert missing time then fine but that $9.5M they are paying Humphries could be put to better use if they could get a LT early in the draft who would be cheaper and possibly healthier alternative. If ARZ can find a way to get either Dillard or Taylor then the LT spot could be solved long term.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If ARZ addresses the OL early in anticipation of guys like Humphries, Pugh & Gilbert missing time then fine but that $9.5M they are paying Humphries could be put to better use if they could get a LT early in the draft who would be cheaper and possibly healthier alternative. If ARZ can find a way to get either Dillard or Taylor then the LT spot could be solved long term.
this draft does not have an LT better than Hump, thats the problem. The kid is a decent player when healthy. but we may get a later round guy who can develop into a solid LT....they may still be counting on cunningham for that as well.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I'm going to vehemently disagree. He hasn't just signed regular players that have had regular injuries on the offensive line. He's signed/traded for OL players who have serious, continuous injury problems. See Gilbert. It really hurt us last year, and this year, he hasn't learned his lesson.
gilbert was hurt last year, missed time the previous season for steroids suspension. could have used a better example

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this draft does not have an LT better than Hump, thats the problem. The kid is a decent player when healthy. but we may get a later round guy who can develop into a solid LT....they may still be counting on cunningham for that as well.
Gotta disagree with you there chief.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Both Jonah Williams & Jawaan Taylor are better.

& nah we can’t for either.

Yodny Cajuste might be as effective as DJ in this offense (same offense in college), with more upside, and for a much cheaper cost. Bonus - doesn't have the same injury history as DJ.

Not sure if he is a #33 pick or if he can be had in round 3.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So we are assuming that the "injury free " players that are being discussed had interest in coming here? Keim didnt reach out to some of these players? We cant assume either of those things.

Honestly, I dont love or hate any of the signings so far, but as I have said before you cant fault the man for getting after it. It would have been easy for him to go out and overspend on guys to save his job moving forward. I dont think any of the signings will hamstring the team moving forward.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
which one???
can we draft him without using our first round pick on him?
Both Jonah Williams & Jawaan Taylor are better.

& nah we can’t for either.

Ugh, don't forget Dillard. Trading back into first round would be the way to get a LT. Another way would be if ARZ traded #1 to NY for #6 & #15, they could get Taylor (maybe not Dillard as he is probably to end up in Top 10).

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Cards take Murray and Bosa goes to SF....and he matches up with Humphries....LOOK OUT
Looks like Keim gets his scouting report from the league surgery reports.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh, don't forget Dillard. Trading back into first round would be the way to get a LT. Another way would be if ARZ traded #1 to NY for #6 & #15, they could get Taylor (maybe not Dillard as he is probably to end up in Top 10).
Not supersold on Dillard like that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Dillard has the physical ability to be a Tyron Smith, but I'm not sold that he has the mental makeup to be. I don't know that he has the desire to increase his strength to the level he will need to in order to be in the league. He is going to need it if he is going to stick in the league because the NFL eats up guys who aren't strong. See Matt Kalil.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think he has some of the best feet ever for a LT coming out of college. His supposed lack of strength was a concern but 24 reps at Combine eased some of that concern for me. I just look at the fact that the guy comes from an offense that will be similar to what KK is supposedly going to run and isn't a one year wonder at WSU, he was pretty good last year to where some scouts felt he could have gone in second round last year if he declared, obviously he got better and his stock has shot up after the Combine. I actually have more concerns over Taylor & Williams than Dillard at this point but I think any of these 3 are better than a fragile DJ Humphries coming off another stint on IR. Hell, I could even be good with Cajuste in Round 2 and developing him to replace Humphries when he inevitably goes down next year.