Keim Not Done

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Listening to the Bleacher Report podcast and they brought up that all the guys who haven’t signed yet aren’t going to get the big money they were looking for. They brought up Melvin Gordon coming to the Cardinals.
Gordon is already a Denver Bronco, although I would have loved it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listening to the Bleacher Report podcast and they brought up that all the guys who haven’t signed yet aren’t going to get the big money they were looking for. They brought up Melvin Gordon coming to the Cardinals.
Thank God the Broncos signed Gordon before we had a chance to.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we don't take a RT then Keim is dumb.

You can have the 3 best WRs in the league but it doesn't matter if you don't have time to find them.

Yeah, this is baloney. You act like we have nobody blocking out there.

Murray was actually an above average tackle the last 6 games of the year with a grade of 69.1 according to PFF.

Yes we do need another tackle, but acting like we desperately need a starting RT to have a productive passing game is pure BS.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not sure what more he could do that would be a "big splash." That said, the prospect of drafting a WR at #8 is concerning, especially when you consider that we got Nuk and drafted three WRs last year.

This would be another example of Keim chasing more bad bets. If he trusts Kliff, he should allow him to develop one of Isabella, Butler, or K. Johnson as WR4

Keim may have the opinion that getting Larry’s replacement now is the best bet to maintain the quality of WRs for the long haul. If this is Larry’s last year, all we have is Hopkins and Kirk who is a #3 WR to me, and we have no depth. He may view this years top WRs are heads and tails better that class of 2021, and make this a strength for next 3-4 years. I still have not decided which direction I want to go in the draft.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim may have the opinion that getting Larry’s replacement now is the best bet to maintain the quality of WRs for the long haul. If this is Larry’s last year, all we have is Hopkins and Kirk who is a #3 WR to me, and we have no depth. He may view this years top WRs are heads and tails better that class of 2021, and make this a strength for next 3-4 years. I still have not decided which direction I want to go in the draft.

solid post, similar thoughts...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, this is baloney. You act like we have nobody blocking out there.

Murray was actually an above average tackle the last 6 games of the year with a grade of 69.1 according to PFF.

Yes we do need another tackle, but acting like we desperately need a starting RT to have a productive passing game is pure BS.
I love that we use PFF on this board when it supports our arguments, and **** all over it otherwise. Watch the tape, look at the teams who didn't want the player, go with the big picture. An entire line of maybe average is not good enough to block for our #1 overall pick at QB, who was top 5 in hurries.

This line has to get better somewhere, and we have great opportunities screaming us in the face right now. People still want the shiny exterior parts instead of fixing the engine that makes the whole thing run.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Good receivers are available every year. The fact that we somehow acquired a Hall of Famer moving forward, in his prime, is incredible. Almost no team in the league has a top 3 as deep as ours, and we should focus on developing the young WR room we already have.

Like BritCard said, nothing is going to work at WR unless the QB has time to throw.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love that we use PFF on this board when it supports our arguments, and **** all over it otherwise. Watch the tape, look at the teams who didn't want the player, go with the big picture. An entire line of maybe average is not good enough to block for our #1 overall pick at QB, who was top 5 in hurries.

This line has to get better somewhere, and we have great opportunities screaming us in the face right now. People still want the shiny exterior parts instead of fixing the engine that makes the whole thing run.
Yup like Simmons.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would love to have any of the defenders, any of the WR's, and any of the OT's. We'll get a contributor no matter whom we pick.

The only thing that gives me pause is that our O Line last year was weak, at best. Not as bad as the year before, but our offense was limited because of it.

And Kyler Murray was one of the most pressured quarterbacks in the NFL last year. 3rd most sacked, and even that was only due to his own foot speed. Would've been far far higher with a pocket passer qb.

We have added "ZERO" new players to the O Line so far this offseason. Our only actions so far were to keep the same guys with new contracts.

We've added major talent to the WR's, the DL, OLB, and ILB already.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
People still want the shiny exterior parts instead of fixing the engine that makes the whole thing run.

100% of people would agree that we want to select the best player. We all want a perennial pro bowl player that will make an impact immediately and stay with the franchise for many years.

None of us, including the experts, know who that will be.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like PFF's grades pretty much always. I think they match what I see with my eyes quite well.

Why is it people on here are arguing a previous bum like Phillips is worth 10 million a year because he has turned the corner, but Justin Murray can't turn the corner because he was cut several times. Same thing applies with Drake. By the way PFF thinks Phillips is still a bum, and I trust that analysis.

Maybe I'm just different - but I don't give a crap what someone has done on another team or in previous seasons, if they show they can produce at a good level with the Cards last season, I believe that will continue.

If you actually watched all the games last year, I don't know how you can blame even half the hurries and sacks on the line, KM especially early in the season was the cause of more than half of them.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yup like Simmons.

Please. There was a time you wanted Epenesa at #8.

We are all trying to determine the best player and the most important position.

If we knew for a fact that whatever player we picked OT, DL, or LB would be an all pro the next 10 years...then you could make the argument.

However, the 2nd best OT may not be as good as the #1 LB or #1 DT. Or maybe the 3rd best OT is better than both.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Or trust that the three young WRs that were drafted last season can pan out and that a valuable asset doesn't have to be spent filling up the room when it could be used at other positions of need. Not sure people remember, but offense was not this team's achillies heal last season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This makes sense. Kyler is on a rookie deal and he is super talented. Cardinals need to maximize this window.

Wouldnt shock me if they go Lamb at 8 either.
Not opposed to it one bit. Sure if Simmons or Okudah are there they would be tough to pass on, but the idea of having both Lamb (on a rookie contract) along with Hopkins (who will be getting paid) together for the next 4 years is very intriguing. Kirk hasn't shown to be anything special and Larry will likely retire either after this season or next. Therefor I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still go WR at that 8th spot.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like PFF's grades pretty much always. I think they match what I see with my eyes quite well.

Why is it people on here are arguing a previous bum like Phillips is worth 10 million a year because he has turned the corner, but Justin Murray can't turn the corner because he was cut several times. Same thing applies with Drake. By the way PFF thinks Phillips is still a bum, and I trust that analysis.

Maybe I'm just different - but I don't give a crap what someone has done on another team or in previous seasons, if they show they can produce at a good level with the Cards last season, I believe that will continue.

If you actually watched all the games last year, I don't know how you can blame even half the hurries and sacks on the line, Murray especially early in the season was the cause of more than half of them.
I watched every game besides every snap of the Carolina game.

Trust me, I'm not arguing that Phillips and Drake have turned corners. I'm a little more open to Phillips because it's one team, apparently he had some personal stuff/issues with coaches to overcome, and was still a pretty highly evaluated guy coming out, but still.

Murray's just a guy. He's limited athletically, he's been cut by multiple teams, and he just wasn't that good in 2019. He was an emergency player who worked his way into a backup deal. He shouldn't be relied upon.

I think players can get hot, they can have a few good games, and then everything statistically regresses to the mean.

But going back to watching the games, I don't know how you can't see that Kyler was running for his life because pressure was right in his face. That kid was stupendous in running out of pressure. Realize that he was the 5th most pressured QB this season, but his QB hits (outside of sacks) was 33rd. His evasion was nuts. That's what a lot of posters seem to miss - yes, he held onto the ball too long sometimes trying to make a play, which led to about half of the sacks, but the rest of the time, he was actually making those plays all by himself.

And when your QB has to run around like that to make plays, it destroys all of the timing the offense has. I think the trick to calming down Kyler and making Kliff's offense work is giving Kyler adequate blocking.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Amen. I don't have tremendously high hopes for any of the three, but if you don't think any of the three have the chops to be your #4 receiver, someone better get axed from the scouting department.

It'd be especially troubling given KK's strong reaction to acquiring Isabella and Butler.
Drafting Lamb wouldn't be about finding your #4 receiver, but finding your #2 receiver of the future. Hopkins and Lamb could be a truly dynamic duo for at least the next 4 years and maybe beyond.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Drafting Lamb wouldn't be about finding your #4 receiver, but finding your #2 receiver of the future. Hopkins and Lamb could be a truly dynamic duo for at least the next 4 years and maybe beyond.
How about we worry about finding our #1 RT of the present? Or #1 DE/DT, ILB, etc.?

We're sitting here talking about four years down the line when we have a glaring need and great matches for said need sitting right in front of us. Lamb is great, but there are going to be plenty of available complementary WRs to Hopkins available as compared to tackles.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please. There was a time you wanted Epenesa at #8.

We are all trying to determine the best player and the most important position.

If we knew for a fact that whatever player we picked OT, DL, or LB would be an all pro the next 10 years...then you could make the argument.

However, the 2nd best OT may not be as good as the #1 LB or #1 DT. Or maybe the 3rd best OT is better than both.
You might not know this, but opinions can change. Idk. Not sure what wanting Epenesa has to do with this anyway.

Also, lol @ “LB would be an All-Pro for the next 10 years” like he would play that long, which is another reason to not go LB(ILB) in the top 8.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's no secret that Kyler wants Lamb here, so IMHO that just adds to the number of reasons he will be the pick.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You might not know this, but opinions can change. Idk. Not sure what wanting Epenesa has to do with this anyway.

Also, lol @ “LB would be an All-Pro for the next 10 years” like he would play that long, which is another reason to not go LB(ILB) in the top 8.

You are criticizing people for wanting Simmons at 8 but you wanted Epenesa bad.

To your second point...we have signed 2 players to 2nd contracts in 15 years? Take the best player that will make the most impact now.