Keim Breaks Down Murray's Film

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, May 23, 2019.

1. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

i think all of the above is true

i also think that since each of those players / coaches worked out really well -- its human nature for Keim and Bidwill to maybe remember their belief on those decisions as being stronger than it really was

at the risk of rehashing: Mike B in a recent AZ Cards podcast (Big Red Rage IIRC) talked about passing on Russel Wilson due to size, and it was a mistake.

Fine -- but to take him, the Cards would have had to use their first on him ( they didnt have a 2nd due to trading for Kolb). DId they really consider taking Wilson with a low 1st rounder? Thats hard to believe.

2. imaCafan

imaCafan Next stop, Hall of Fame!

My guess would be they really weren’t considering him in part due to his size. And they had Kolb.

3. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd Registered

What overall grade did you give him?

Krangthebrain likes this.
  4. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

5'10, 211 isnt slight.

CardsSunsDbacks and juza76 like this.
  5. fartblossom

fartblossom Registered

To take him the Cardinals had to want him. They didn’t. Russell was a mid 3rd round pick. If Keim wanted him as badly as he and his supporters claim he was there for the taking. Trading into Round 2 is not difficult. Trading up in Round 3 is even easier.

With all due respect you’re not going to write anything that’s going to change my opinion and I’m not going to write anything that’s going to change yours. Have a nice day

kerouac9 likes this.
  6. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

He was trying to get a good rhyme, he couldn't really put bite or kite lol

7. Krangthebrain

You are missing a key point here (purposefully?).

Keim fully admits he liked Wilson but discounted him because of height.

8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

No, I think you're missing the point. We see some of those exciting things, but we also see them in a situation where everything was tailor-made for him to succeed. He had two receivers who either are, or likely will turn out to be, first round picks, an offense that puts college QBs in unique areas to succeed, sub-par defensive matchups, and an NFL offensive line that kept his jersey clean enough to eat off of. There's no doubt he's athletically talented and looked great in a perfect environment, but can he sustain that in the NFL? I have watched every throw of his multiple times, and I have genuine concern about him throwing into tight windows and really seeing what things will be like when he doesn't have a receiver open 5 yards off the defender.

That's real, football tape stuff. I don't do this for a living, but I know what I see, and it's nowhere near as convincing as the Murray cult claims it is.

He promptly did nothing in the offseason to prove he really wanted it, because it was clear he was going to be handed this job because Kliff has a crush on him, Michael desperately wants to be the nu-Browns, and Keim wants to prove to everyone that he's the smartest guy in the room because he once wanted McVay and thought Russell Wilson was gonna be pretty good.

The overall picture of the kid is of someone I would have taken later in the draft with all of his warts, saying, "well, this kid does have unparalleled athletic ability," but really questioning if the rest of the puzzle pieces come together.

Instead we went all in, and we have people here saying Kyler's going to transform this team, when I think it's the opposite - this team is going to get Kyler killed.

Stout likes this.
  9. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

But he is being set up in a system Taylor made for him with a coach that totally knows how to utilize him.

I will agree this machine is not going to be well oiled from the get go. What I think you’re missing is there is a reason his receivers were wide open. There is a reason he had times to stand in the pocket at OU. It wasn’t all “ because he had five HOF linemen blocking for him”. Play design , concepts, play calling and his ability to run all played a role in the success he and the team enjoyed.

There are going to be many times Murray will allude the defense and extend a play that a pocket passer simply would not be able to do.

The real question is to what extent.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I’m not doubting that he is in the right system to succeed, and that he might.

Just stop telling me I don’t watch film, and my only questions are about his height, because it’s untrue for me and plenty of the folks who don’t think Kyler is already the best player to be drafted at #1 of all time.

Our doubts go so much further than wanting to spite his season of success. I need to know what he looks like when challenged with anything but the absolute best situation before I believe he’s the truth. And again, I want him to succeed.

11. slanidrac16

It was so disparaging watching an offense with so limited weapons and a total inept head coach and OC. This organization is no doubt swinging for the fences. Five years ago I might call them crazy.

But the direction the NFL is headed I think we will see teams adapting their game to the players that are coming out of college rather than adapting players to the old nfl ways. College players for the most part are not being groomed in the old NFL system.

This is not a slam dunk road to success. But no road is. I’ve grown to like the road we chose. We will see.

Lagerfilled, Cardiac and Goldfield like this.
  12. slanidrac16

Never doubted or question how much film you’ve watched because if you didn’t you couldn’t intelligently express your point of view. I am not one of the Murray supporters that is guaranteeing success. I’m more or less thinking like the little engine. I think he can, I think he can, and hopefully he will.

As far as experience I don’t think another year of success at OU would have changed many of the detractors point of view. He isn’t growing any taller and would still be burdened with the “ he’s surrounded by NFL talent” syndrome.

13. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Got to do it...tailor and elude :BIM: :)

cardpa likes this.
  14. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Proposed nickname for K Murray:

Back in my Pop Warner days, there was this guy, Jimmy Chapman, who was so tiny that he looked like a helmet with 2 legs sticking out the bottom.

His nickname:

"The Helmet."

So-o...

15. Krangthebrain

His nickname is K1