Keim Breaks Down Murray's Film

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, May 23, 2019.

1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Scott Bordow at the Athletic got to sit down with Keim and go over the film and the reasons for each draft pick. Up first is Kyler Murray

https://theathletic.com/991419/2019...icks-kyler-murray-up-first/?source=dailyemail

There are a total of 3 plays he highlights

daves, b8rtm8nn and Krangthebrain like this.
  2. Chris_Sanders

videos aren't transferring over but the athletic has a free trial if you want to see the series.

3. Chris_Sanders

Also the final word on why he drafted him

daves and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  4. Chris_Sanders

It kind of pisses me off how much he talks about how only Mahomes had this good of a workout with him.

Then why didn't you trade up and take Mahomes you goob???

unseenaz, Cardiac, Vacard and 8 others like this.
  5. Chris_Sanders

This is the quote

Keim says to watch “how pretty the ball comes out,” and recounts the day he, team president Michael Bidwill and coach Kliff Kingsbury flew to Norman, Okla., to work Murray out.

“It’s just the way the ball came out of his hand,” he says. “It’s almost like there’s been a few guys I’ve looked at over the years, Mahomes being one them, and a couple other quarterbacks who I watched throw live in a pro workout and the ball almost makes a sound. You hear it as it comes out. To watch him (Murray) throw some of those deep outs, when you watch guys with this kind of arm talent the deep outs almost start to rise as they go out. It’s amazing.”

6. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

I have two theories:

the more likely: they truly thought he would last till #13 and didn't need to trade up.

the conspiracy theory: Arians was all in on filling holes for one last run, and, wasn't interested in using a high #1 on a QB that wouldn't contribute right away --- and swayed opinions enough to get his way

Cardiac, Dayman, Garthshort and 2 others like this.
  7. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

This on both fronts Karma. I honestly thought Mahomes was going to have problems with his accuracy but I was full of crap now seeing him play (but I have no doubts that Josh Allen will suck rocks). I wanted to keep Rosen (who I still feel can be a legit starter) but started to look back and I said "well Jet, you liked Wilson in the draft a lot but not Mahomes and now you have the medium between the two and you were totally off with Mahomes". Murray is in every sense the prospect Mahomes is at this point of being drafted. Mahomes has freakish arm strength but if you look at Murray, he still has elite arm strength, but not the full throttle Mahomes does, but few do. Murray is more athletic as a whole and faster and quicker than Mahomes, well he is but let's see how that makes him a success when the bullets fly, though one with any common sense would see that as an advantage... let's see how Kingsbury/Clements measure up to Andy Reid, because Murray does have the ability to match

Vacard and daves like this.
  8. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Always a Gentleman

Because he was wasted out of his gourd. :) lol.. kidding...

Thanks for posting this Chris.

It reminded me of a part of Murray's game that people don't talk about enough, and that's his accuracy while throwing on the run.

I don't know if it's a baseball thing or what, but it's really going break some opposing fans' hearts.

And the great thing is, when he breaks containment, it's still 50/50 whether he will throw or run.

He's a great pocket passer. But when he's on the move, the man is positively dangerous.

JosiahLee and Goldfield like this.
  9. Chris_Sanders

The video of the play in unbelievable. The Alabama defender has Murray as a dead sack.

He comes in untouched and has the angle but Murray easily evades him as he looks to run but keeps his head up and right as he gets close to the line of scrimmage throws a perfect bomb off one foot.

Keim isn't lying that the people that could do that are super rare.

Vacard, b8rtm8nn, daves and 2 others like this.
  10. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

There has NEVER been a QB like Murray

He's a generational talent

Like Zion in college hoops Murray will be amazing in the NFL.
    Get your popcorn ready

If you listen closely you can hear d coordinators losing their mind ...'do we drop into coverage...damn it ...what if Murray runs....if we run a spy on Murray we lose a LB in coverage...if I tell the DE's to pin their ears back they'll leave running lanes...if we don't pressure him he'll throw all day on our CB's'

11. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

I am so excited for the season to start.

Goldfield and Krangthebrain like this.
  12. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

From watching tape on him... when forced out of the pocket (not a design run), he's more likely 80% to pass, but if he does run even as a pro it might be for twenty yards :)

13. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Always a Gentleman

I didn't want to overstate it, but I got that same feeling too Jetstream. When he's on the move, he's still "pass first".

The ability to elude rushers, and still deliver accurate passes.. just murderous... That's why you would see OU receivers running wide, wide open sometimes.

"I can't wait for the first preseason game". Said nobody, ever, until this off-season. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    daves and Goldfield like this.
  14. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

lol We get it. We can put him in the HOF already, guys!

Seriously though, I understand that a lot of people wanted him, and want to be high on their team, but you're setting yourself up for failure here. Even if he does someday become that good, he is NOT going to be that good from day 1. Expecting him to be is a formula for heartbreak. If we had a top team around him already, AND he is that good? Maybe. We DON'T have a top team around him, so there will be growing pains one way or another.

I'm still highly skeptical, but crossing my fingers that I'm wrong. Even so, it's laughable to anoint him like this before he's even taken a preseason snap.

Solar7 and blindseyed like this.
  15. az jam

az jam Registered User

Regarding Mahomes. I really don't think that the Cards felt someone would move up to take him. But I also think that Karma may be right that BA influenced the drafting of Reddick as he had both Palmer and Drew Stanton. BA liked having veteran QBs run his offense. He din't like playing any rookies.