Kawhi and George to Clippers

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Again, hardaway was a team guy. I don’t get where you guys are getting the comparisons.
Tim Hardaway was a shoot first PG in an era where shootfirst PGs were rare...That is one of the reasons Run TMC never got over the hump in the west and was eventually broken up...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What?!? From a pure stats perspective, but not from a selfishness and low efficiency standpoint.

Riley has coached a number of guards to do a bit of everything. In terms of playing hard RW is an ideal Riley guy but I don’t see t happening between the two teams.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
First thing Magic did was defer to Kareem. He came in and was the ultimate team guy. The exact opposite of a diva. Which makes his recent "diva-ish" quiting the Lakers noteworthy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
First thing Magic did was defer to Kareem. He came in and was the ultimate team guy. The exact opposite of a diva. Which makes his recent "diva-ish" quiting the Lakers noteworthy.

Magic was a diva from day one despite playing unselfish. He’s always been one.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not directed at you but can someone explain the significance of divisions? Are we playing the Lakers and Clippers maybe one more time than other western conference teams do? I’m pretty sure we played Dallas and OKC four times last year...

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Totally disagree...as someone who grew up in LA in the 70/80s couldn't disagree more...Magic ran Paul Westhead out of town after winning a championship, hell he got Jack McKinney fired DURING a playoff series...Magic involved the star studdedcast on the lakers because he was a point guard and throwing no looks was his medium to express his creativity, but Magic was a diva, whether crying to the media or throwing a tantrum when called for a foul...

Magic's rep as a person while he was a player would more accurately resemble his as a FO exec, social media is the difference.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not directed at you but can someone explain the significance of divisions? Are we playing the Lakers and Clippers maybe one more time than other western conference teams do? I’m pretty sure we played Dallas and OKC four times last year...
Playoff seeding is about the only significance I can think of. They did get rid of the whole division winners being guaranteed a top 3 seed so I'm not sure if divisions even matter anymore.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You play your division rivals 4 times a year every year. The rest of the conference is split between 3-4 games a year that changes, so not a huge difference.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You play your division rivals 4 times a year every year. The rest of the conference is split between 3-4 games a year that changes, so not a huge difference.
So IF we can win all our eastern conference games, we are good. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this on Yahoo about Kawhi signing with the Clippers. Apparently he tried to recruit Durant first. KD didn't expect to hear from him at all. I think that says something there. There was a lot of talk of these guys teaming up before hand but apparently they didn't know each other very well at all prior to this summer and KD was surprised to hear from him. That goes to show some of the predictions the talking heads make aren't based in reality. They're getting paid to guess similar to how we do here, except no one here is drawing a salary for it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/clippers-k...s-for-paul-george-kevin-durant-182625099.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s the best example thus far. And he promptly traded him away.

Wouldn't say promptly traded him away. First he signed him to a deal that was almost unmovable and had to put up with his idiocy for a few years before he could find a taker for his bloated contract.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If this means the Lebron Lakers never make the finals I'm OK with it.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
As a long time Clipper fan who suffered through years of Sterling ineptitude, then the entertaining but not quite good enough Lob City teams, this is without a doubt the most exciting day in franchise history.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wouldn't say promptly traded him away. First he signed him to a deal that was almost unmovable and had to put up with his idiocy for a few years before he could find a taker for his bloated contract.
But he was looking as soon as the idiocy resurfaced. He admitted his mistake. I doubt he’s looking to make another. He doesn’t make a lot of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a good piece on Kawhi's decision and choosing his own path with the Clippers. They interview Danny Green for it and also pull some old quotes and notes about Kawhi to back up the idea the Lakers weren't really contenders for him. He wasn't the superteam type.

I know some might say the Clippers are a superteam but they're a team made by Kawhi, that isn't him latching his star to someone else like Lebron.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27170710/green-kawhi-wanted-own-route-not-lakers