Kale Shakes

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all are gonna make fun of my, but I just use the pasteurized Green Machine with my morning oatmeal. Have felt outstanding and generally avoided sickness for the first winter in years. But I've also tried some of the recipes at the link below and give them a thumbs up.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/category/juice/

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Y'all are gonna make fun of my, but I just use the pasteurized Green Machine with my morning oatmeal. Have felt outstanding and generally avoided sickness for the first winter in years. But I've also tried some of the recipes at the link below and give them a thumbs up.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/category/juice/

Joe rules.

That's the guy from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? I heard that was a really good movie. Have you guys seen it?

Gadd, are you in one of the veggie co-op deals? You pay a small fee every month or so, I think, then you get a gigantic box of vegetables every week. I bet that would be good if you're into juicing.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the guy from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? I heard that was a really good movie. Have you guys seen it?

Gadd, are you in one of the veggie co-op deals? You pay a small fee every month or so, I think, then you get a gigantic box of vegetables every week. I bet that would be good if you're into juicing.

Great show.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Veggie co-op? How does that work?

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Like Market on the Move?

St Gabriel's church on Cave Creek Road has that. $10 bucks for a 60 pound box of veggies from local Farmer's Markets. They call it a "food rescue" and it's a great deal.

No oatmeal mentioned on this thread for cholesterol? I've been eating it for years and my numbers are perfect. There were a couple of books on it years ago. I swear by it. My doctor is happy. I'm happy. :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You can get a giant bag of organic Kale at Costco for like $3.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Like Market on the Move?

St Gabriel's church on Cave Creek Road has that. $10 bucks for a 60 pound box of veggies from local Farmer's Markets. They call it a "food rescue" and it's a great deal.

No oatmeal mentioned on this thread for cholesterol? I've been eating it for years and my numbers are perfect. There were a couple of books on it years ago. I swear by it. My doctor is happy. I'm happy. :)

Exactly. :) I'll see if I can find out the name of the one my friend participates in, but it's basically the same deal. I think a lot of the food goes to homeless shelters or something, too.

Sixty pounds of vegetables is huge. But if you can juice them, it would probably be worth it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, that's the movie. It was definitely interesting. I can't attest the veracity of his opinion, though, so I'm less inclined to approve of it.

But it did make sense to me, and I had juiced a lot in the past. I love vegetables and I love tart fruit, though. My dad hates it, but he hates sweet/tart things and only eats vegetables he can heavily salt. (I hate salty anything).

I just buy at Costco produce. Much more than I can eat myself. Always require help.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just read the story below about a guy who went vegan for 60 days and it reminded me of this thread.

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5142&catId=8

At the end of the 60 days, the local talent lost 31 pounds, his overall cholesterol dropped from 128 to 87, his LDL cholesterol went from 70 to 47, and his triglycerides plummeted from 151 to 69. “My doctor said he’d never seen anything like it,” Peterson reports. “There’s no way I’m turning back.”

There are a lot of stories like this...might want to look into it. :)

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
its so hard for me to go vegan, I have removed dairy and can easily cut red meat and pork but chicken and fish would be too hard.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its so hard for me to go vegan, I have removed dairy and can easily cut red meat and pork but chicken and fish would be too hard.
At least it's the better-for-you stuff that you can't do without. I can't imagine life without bacon and steak.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
At least it's the better-for-you stuff that you can't do without. I can't imagine life without bacon and steak.

I love bacon but I can do without it, my biggest problem is when I get drunk and want that late night burger or tacos lol

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Exactly. :) I'll see if I can find out the name of the one my friend participates in, but it's basically the same deal. I think a lot of the food goes to homeless shelters or something, too.

Sixty pounds of vegetables is huge. But if you can juice them, it would probably be worth it.

Did you ever find out the name of that co-op? Thinking of looking into this when I get back to Phoenix.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
My Nutribullet recipe:

Pineapple, kale, banana, parsley, coconut milk (non-flavored), chia seeds (or other booster).

Tastes like cucumber melon. The parsley is key to cutting the bitterness of the kale.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I believe that hemp seeds and flax seeds are about the same with respect to fats, but hemp has about twice as much protein.

I haven't had flax seeds, so I don't know about the taste difference, but hemp seeds taste (to me, anyway) a lot like sunflower seeds. So that's a pleasant memory brought back from my youth baseball days.

My Costco sells hemp seeds, but I haven't seen flax seeds there yet, so I've just stuck with the hemp. It actually makes a good snack, too, imo. Sometimes I'll just have a spoon full of hemp seeds. :)

Homegoods has a food section. Sells ground golden flax seeds. Really cheap.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did you ever find out the name of that co-op? Thinking of looking into this when I get back to Phoenix.

I just joined a vegetable delivery service last week that is very similar.

There is a veganic farm down in Willcox and they deliver fresh veg to certain points throughout the state like Whole Foods and some healthy restaurants. The small box is $22 a week and you can have them pack you a box of their choosing or you can even choose the products you want (like more kale, fewer carrots, for example). I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

http://www.sunizonafamilyfarms.com/

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just joined a vegetable delivery service last week that is very similar.

There is a veganic farm down in Willcox and they deliver fresh veg to certain points throughout the state like Whole Foods and some healthy restaurants. The small box is $22 a week and you can have them pack you a box of their choosing or you can even choose the products you want (like more kale, fewer carrots, for example). I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

http://www.sunizonafamilyfarms.com/

That sounds pretty cool. I think I might try it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool. I think I might try it.

:thumbup:

I'm really enjoying it so far.

I also just got a Vitamix yesterday, so the plan is to liquify anything that I don't need for "regular" meals and snacks. That way, nothing should go to waste. :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
:thumbup:

I'm really enjoying it so far.

I also just got a Vitamix yesterday, so the plan is to liquify anything that I don't need for "regular" meals and snacks. That way, nothing should go to waste. :)

Great idea. I'll do the same with my Blentec.

All signed up and ready to pickup my first delivery next Tuesday!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Great idea. I'll do the same with my Blentec.

All signed up and ready to pickup my first delivery next Tuesday!

Sweet!

I get mine on Tuesdays, too. I go to Duck & Decanter downtown.

I liquefied my leftovers before the new delivery and it turned out pretty well. I'm still learning how to mix fruit with vegetables to get the taste right, but it's great knowing that nothing goes to waste and you can get a healthy drink out of it.

:)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just recently started adding kale to our fruit smoothies in the morning and I really don't notice it at all.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, gang. :raccoon:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose