Kale Shakes

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, is anyone else doing Kale Shakes? Ive been doing them for about a week now with my nutribullet and im starting to notice the energy and digestion differences. They are supposed to be very good for you and aid in weight loss. Ive lost about 12 pounds the past month since switching to a mostly organic diet and cutting out all dairy products.

If you guys are doing them do you have any good recepies? I havent found one that I love yet and I've tried different fruits and things to go with it along with flax seeds.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make smoothies occasionally. I usually just mix and match things. I just made one with full fat yogurt, mint, honey, and frozen berries.

Kale, romaine, and spinach are good. Kale can't sometimes be a little peppery but you can add lemon.

Ginger, dates, coconut milk are also good options. Bananas can be good ingredients, and I like to peel, slice and freeze them in advance.

Frozen mango slices from Trader Joes too.

Good stuff.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I make smoothies occasionally. I usually just mix and match things. I just made one with full fat yogurt, mint, honey, and frozen berries.

Kale, romaine, and spinach are good. Kale can't sometimes be a little peppery but you can add lemon.

Ginger, dates, coconut milk are also good options. Bananas can be good ingredients, and I like to peel, slice and freeze them in advance.

Frozen mango slices from Trader Joes too.

Good stuff.

I love the frozen mango slices from trader joes I like their frozen pineapple bits too. I mix it up between kale and spinach maybe ill add some lemon juice. I heard ginger is extremely good for you.

My normal smoothie is kale, cucumber, banana and pineapple. I just got into almond milk instead of regular milk and it really doesnt taste bad at all esp with the fiber one cereal Ive been eating.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, is anyone else doing Kale Shakes? Ive been doing them for about a week now with my nutribullet and im starting to notice the energy and digestion differences. They are supposed to be very good for you and aid in weight loss. Ive lost about 12 pounds the past month since switching to a mostly organic diet and cutting out all dairy products.

If you guys are doing them do you have any good recepies? I havent found one that I love yet and I've tried different fruits and things to go with it along with flax seeds.

Kale is awesome. Dairy is terrible. Twelve pounds in a month by making those changes is incredible. :)

Have you tried hemp seeds? There's a ton of protein in just a few tablespoons and they taste really good. You can add them to shakes or salads or stirfries.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Now I wanna go home and make one of these right now.

Mint Chip Protein

1-2 ounces kale leaves (about a handful)
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
⅓ cup water
1 scoop Frank Zane’s Cutting Edge™ egg white protein powder
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
10 drops vanilla crème stevia
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup ice cubes
1 tablespoon chocolate drops

1.Place kale, hemp seeds, protein powder and water in a vitamix
2.Blend on high speed for 60-90 seconds, until smooth
3.If your shake doesn’t blend up nicely in 90 seconds add just a bit more water
4.Blend in peppermint, stevia and coconut oil, then ice
5.When shake is thick and smooth, blend in chocolate chips
6.Serve

http://www.elanaspantry.com/mint-chip-protein-shake/

I'd substitute in a plant-based protein powder, but dang, this sounds good.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Kale is awesome. Dairy is terrible. Twelve pounds in a month by making those changes is incredible. :)

Have you tried hemp seeds? There's a ton of protein in just a few tablespoons and they taste really good. You can add them to shakes or salads or stirfries.

I was debating between hemp seed and flax seeds and ended up going with flax. Do you know what the taste difference is? Flax seeds makes the shakes taste very nutty I have about 2 tablespoons per day in my shake. Does hemp seeds have all those good fats too like flax seed?

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Are you drinking this instead of a meal?

Its my breakfast, you are supposed to take it on an empty stomach so your body can absorb all the nutrients...so they say.

It is great to lower cholesterol and triglycerides my doctor said.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Egg white protein powder? Blech. Sounds very processed.

Stevia? Come on now.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was debating between hemp seed and flax seeds and ended up going with flax. Do you know what the taste difference is? Flax seeds makes the shakes taste very nutty I have about 2 tablespoons per day in my shake. Does hemp seeds have all those good fats too like flax seed?

I believe that hemp seeds and flax seeds are about the same with respect to fats, but hemp has about twice as much protein.

I haven't had flax seeds, so I don't know about the taste difference, but hemp seeds taste (to me, anyway) a lot like sunflower seeds. So that's a pleasant memory brought back from my youth baseball days.

My Costco sells hemp seeds, but I haven't seen flax seeds there yet, so I've just stuck with the hemp. It actually makes a good snack, too, imo. Sometimes I'll just have a spoon full of hemp seeds. :)

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I believe that hemp seeds and flax seeds are about the same with respect to fats, but hemp has about twice as much protein.

I haven't had flax seeds, so I don't know about the taste difference, but hemp seeds taste (to me, anyway) a lot like sunflower seeds. So that's a pleasant memory brought back from my youth baseball days.

My Costco sells hemp seeds, but I haven't seen flax seeds there yet, so I've just stuck with the hemp. It actually makes a good snack, too, imo. Sometimes I'll just have a spoon full of hemp seeds. :)

Ill try it as long as the fiber is around the same. I got the flax seeds at trader joes, Im sure they have hemp seeds too.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seeds are gross to me and do not seem necessary. Unless you are a bird. :)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Egg white protein powder? Blech. Sounds very processed.

Stevia? Come on now.

Is Stevia gross? I don't really know anything about it. It's not like one of the sweeteners that, um, makes you take frequent trips to the restroom, is it?

I use agave nectar as a sweetener, so you could probably substitute that.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Stevia gross? I don't really know anything about it. It's not like one of the sweeteners that, um, makes you take frequent trips to the restroom, is it?

I use agave nectar as a sweetener, so you could probably substitute that.

Agave and stevia are the same to me. Taste processed and unnatural. I also heard the agave processing might be really harsh or something. The chemicals and /or processing make me think a person should use honey, add fruit or just go with regular sugar.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Seeds are gross to me and do not seem necessary. Unless you are a bird. :)

Im in the bridgang does that count? :) I use the seeds to get good fats and more fiber in my shakes, the more fiber the more cholesterol it filters out which is what I need I started with a number of 364 dropped it down to 304 in the same month I lost the weight but I have to try to get that number under 200.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Fiber? Eat more vegetables.

#annoyingmulli

I dont have the time or jaw power to consume 7 pounds of kale a day thats why I need to find other sources like fiber cereal or flax seeds. I eat as many vegetables as I can but not all vegies have high amounts of fiber.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have the time or jaw power to consume 7 pounds of kale a day thats why I need to find other sources like fiber cereal or flax seeds. I eat as many vegetables as I can but not all vegies have high amounts of fiber.

Why do you feel you are not getting enough fiber? Supplementing with magnesium is great if you want to poop more.

Note: just saw your note about filtering cholesterol. Not sure how that works. :)

I do know that they give cows whole grains when they want to fatten them up. I am not a doctor so go with what doc says. :)

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Agave and stevia are the same to me. Taste processed and unnatural. I also heard the agave processing might be really harsh or something. The chemicals and /or processing make me think a person should use honey, add fruit or just go with regular sugar.

Adding fruit is probably always the best option. :thumbup:

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Why do you feel you are not getting enough fiber? Supplementing with magnesium is great if you want to poop more.

Note: just saw your note about filtering cholesterol. Not sure how that works. :)

I do know that they give cows whole grains when they want to fatten them up. I am not a doctor so go with what doc says. :)

LOL it has nothing to do with poop, my nutrtionalist said the best way for me to lower cholesterol is to massively increase fiber intake and her words were "the fiber filters the cholesterol out of your body" Im just going by what she said and it seems to be working. I have no clue about this stuff I just listen to what they say lol

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL it has nothing to do with poop, my nutrtionalist said the best way for me to lower cholesterol is to massively increase fiber intake and her words were "the fiber filters the cholesterol out of your body" Im just going by what she said and it seems to be working. I have no clue about this stuff I just listen to what they say lol

Evidence suggests that soluble fiber is more effective at lowering cholesterol, but both types of fiber are important for your health. One of the ways soluble fiber may lower blood cholesterol is through its ability to reduce the amount of bile reabsorbed in the intestines. It works like this: When fiber interferes with absorption of bile in the intestines, the bile is excreted in the feces. To make up for this loss of bile, the liver makes more bile salts. The body uses cholesterol to make bile salts. So in order to obtain the cholesterol necessary to make more bile salts, the liver increases its production of LDL receptors.

These receptors are responsible for pulling cholesterol out of LDL molecules in the bloodstream. Therefore, the more bile salts are made from the liver, the more LDL cholesterol is pulled from the blood. There is more to be learned about the relationship between soluble fiber and cholesterol, however. It is also possible that one of the short-chain fatty acids produced by the fermentation of soluble fiber in the large intestines may inhibit the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/dis...cholesterol/foods-that-lower-cholesterol2.htm

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Evidence suggests that soluble fiber is more effective at lowering cholesterol, but both types of fiber are important for your health. One of the ways soluble fiber may lower blood cholesterol is through its ability to reduce the amount of bile reabsorbed in the intestines. It works like this: When fiber interferes with absorption of bile in the intestines, the bile is excreted in the feces. To make up for this loss of bile, the liver makes more bile salts. The body uses cholesterol to make bile salts. So in order to obtain the cholesterol necessary to make more bile salts, the liver increases its production of LDL receptors.

These receptors are responsible for pulling cholesterol out of LDL molecules in the bloodstream. Therefore, the more bile salts are made from the liver, the more LDL cholesterol is pulled from the blood. There is more to be learned about the relationship between soluble fiber and cholesterol, however. It is also possible that one of the short-chain fatty acids produced by the fermentation of soluble fiber in the large intestines may inhibit the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/dis...cholesterol/foods-that-lower-cholesterol2.htm

Thanks for the info def stuff I didnt know until now. Ive been trying to be more educated on health things and what works with the body in what ways but there is so much info out there sometimes its overload.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info def stuff I didnt know until now. Ive been trying to be more educated on health things and what works with the body in what ways but there is so much info out there sometimes its overload.

In case you aren't overloaded already:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Soluble fiber dissolves in water. Insoluble fiber does not. To some degree these differences determine how each fiber functions in the body and benefits your health.

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.

Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/cholesterol-health_b_2035487.html

MYTH: High cholesterol is a good predictor of heart attacks.
FACT: High cholesterol is a lousy predictor of heart attacks. Half the people admitted to hospitals with heart disease have normal cholesterol, and plenty of people with elevated cholesterol have perfectly healthy hearts.

http://realhealthtalk.com/cholesterol_exposing_the_myth.html

Food for thought.

:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson