Justified (FX)

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I was actually a little let down by the season finale. Seemed like the entire focus of the show shifted to Boyd and we got very little of Raylan. A good episode, but just left something to be desired.

still, a GREAT first season for this show.

Great first season for the show....I kinda noticed the same thing you did with the shift. But the one thing that I think they are trying to do is really create the two separate story lines cause there already are plenty of shows about US Marshalls, NCIS agents, CSI, Law & Order (although thats now done), maybe they just wanted to add a little depth so that the show is even more different.

Overall though I really liked the show. Walton Goggins (Boyd) has done a great job in his roll, was surprised I was able to believe him as something other than Shane from The Shield. Spoiler in regard to Shane in The Shield, so don't open it if you plan on watching it at any time.

Although there are still times I find myself getting pissed at him for dropping that grenade in Lem's car. :shakesfist:

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Great first season.... I am really glad I added this to my schedule.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this show hasn't missed a beat. This was a surprisingly good show when it came out, and it's been one of my favs.

It's even better when compared to the weak fall schedule this season. If they can't do any better with their scripted shows, the networks might as well switch to nothing but reality shows and leave the heavy lifting to USA, A & E, FX, HBO etc.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's even better when compared to the weak fall schedule this season. If they can't do any better with their scripted shows, the networks might as well switch to nothing but reality shows and leave the heavy lifting to USA, A & E, FX, HBO etc.

Steve

Yeah, Chuck has about run its course, even though it was awesome in previous years. Castle is still solid, as is Fringe and Human Target. Sadly, for the fall schedule, that's about it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Chuck has about run its course, even though it was awesome in previous years. Castle is still solid, as is Fringe and Human Target. Sadly, for the fall schedule, that's about it.

Chuck probably ends this season and unfortunately, the same is probably true of Human Target. Fringe might survive but I suspect Fox will start moving it around at it's convenience without regard to the impact it will have on Fringe viewership. That seems to be the step they take for sci fi shows when they are about ready to lower the axe. Castle seems to have a solid audience so they should be safe and it's a much better show than people give it credit for being. Especially those who simply dismiss it as just another procedural.

I still enjoy Human Target quite a bit but they've really shot themselves in the foot this season. Three of my favorite shows the past few years have been Leverage, Burn Notice and Human Target and I think they hurt each series with the same exact decision. In each case, these guys went from being clandestine to being almost high profile. Burn Notice seems to have survived it but it's really hurt Leverage and now Human Target IMO. I'm still hoping they bring the show back for one more season but it looks very doubtful.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great second season opener. love all the actors in the new family gang that olyphant's character will have to deal with this season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this show's second season is just as good as it's first, which is saying something. The new family is giving the Crowder's a run for their money.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Boyd's character is a pretty good one. It's got some complexity with his (supposed?) internal struggles. Plus the actor that plays him does so brilliantly.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great season thus far. I'm not crazy about the story-line of his ex-wife taking money out of the vault to "check to see if it was real". She's an attorney and not stupid enough to do something like that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Great season thus far. I'm not crazy about the story-line of his ex-wife taking money out of the vault to "check to see if it was real". She's an attorney and not stupid enough to do something like that.

Yeah. I love the show, but I felt the writing for that storyline was pretty lame, and very hard to 'justify' :D

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Yeah. I love the show, but I felt the writing for that storyline was pretty lame, and very hard to 'justify'

I agree. I was hoping that storyline was dead, but apparently it is continuing this week as well. Not interesting or really believable at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I was hoping that storyline was dead, but apparently it is continuing this week as well. Not interesting or really believable at all.

agreed as well. kinda surprising as this season was shaping up to be just as good, if not more than season 1.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was probably my least favorite epsiode. I wanted to change the channel when Winona confessed to taking all of the money. That was pretty lame and out of character, but I guess it makes more sense than her taking just one bill to see if it was real. I'm just glad that it seems to be over.

I'm a bit perplexed by the story-line around Gary (Winona's husband). His actions aren't matching up with his intent to win her back.

I'm intrigued by the story developing around the Bennett family and of course Boyd is now involved. IMO, Walton Giggins (Boyd) is the star of the show even though I'm a big Olyphant fan. His dry scripture referencing delivery was outstanding last season. I was hoping he would keep on with his vigilante ways, but having him battling his demons has been great thus far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was probably my least favorite epsiode. I wanted to change the channel when Winona confessed to taking all of the money. That was pretty lame and out of character, but I guess it makes more sense than her taking just one bill to see if it was real. I'm just glad that it seems to be over.

I'm a bit perplexed by the story-line around Gary (Winona's husband). His actions aren't matching up with his intent to win her back.

I'm intrigued by the story developing around the Bennett family and of course Boyd is now involved. IMO, Walton Giggins (Boyd) is the star of the show even though I'm a big Olyphant fan. His dry scripture referencing delivery was outstanding last season. I was hoping he would keep on with his vigilante ways, but having him battling his demons has been great thus far.

yeah, that was a truly terrible episode. first of the entire run. i dislike Winonna with every passing minute of that show.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I'm not a student of Leonard's works, I've read enough of the man's efforts to know it's near impossible to say someone is acting "out of character", especially since the multi-faceted personality is one of the enduring set-pieces of his work.

I suspect that the writer(s) were attempting to show that Winona and Ava are cut from the very same cloth as Raylan. In the show's universe, all of the players in the drama possess extremely fluid moral centers, their ethics purely situational at best. The murderous Ava, who paradoxically feels herself morally superior to Boyd, accepts the stolen payroll when circumstances surrounding her finances dictate. By the same token we see Winona take a similar course of action when she discovers Gary threatening her financial well-being with another of his endless schemes. Raylan, like the women in his life, is also easily persuaded to put aside his own sense of right and wrong in order to protect the people he cares for, especially since he's been doing it for his father almost from birth.

Like many of Elmore's greatest characters, such as the loan sharking Chili Palmer for example, the people in this fictional world are all quite flawed, and yet more than happy to remain totally unrepentant about their circumstances. That we discovered that the "good girl" Winona is no more an angel than any of the other denizens of Harlan County is right in character with Elmore Leonard, so I guess I'm willing to give the show a pass and wait to see where they're taking us before judging their efforts too harshly.

Just my .02

JTS

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the stunt men in the fight between Raylan and Cougar looked worse than Eddie Murphy's stunt man in Beverly Hills Cop when he throws one of Victor Maitlin's henchmen over a buffet.

had to watch that fight twice to make sure i didn't blink and someone else didn't jump into the fray.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My favorite show of the season so far.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This show is getting better. And it leaves it's self open to go in several directions. They keep hitting on stuff that reminds me so much of "The Whites of West Virginia " documentary. The dancing, moonshine, family, it's just not the same in them there hills.

Great show, glad they got away from him shooting everybody like he did in the beginning, there are a bunch of good characters they have built around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is getting better. And it leaves it's self open to go in several directions. They keep hitting on stuff that reminds me so much of "The Whites of West Virginia " documentary. The dancing, moonshine, family, it's just not the same in them there hills.

Great show, glad they got away from him shooting everybody like he did in the beginning, there are a bunch of good characters they have built around.

Each to their own. I loved last season but sometimes now I can barely watch current episodes. I don't disagree that there are a bunch of good characters but personally, I'd just as soon watch him shoot most of them.

Steve

Ghraxx

Reaction score
Great show, I've loved Timothy Olypant since the new die hard movie. great actor. He was great in deadwood too, which i didnt see the whole series until after live free die hard