Just A Reminder

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
100% agree.

Modern day NFL, tight ends are the pieces needed to thrive in RPO, and quick strike offenses.

At one point I thought the way to go against smaller defenses was a power run game, which does work, see Derrick Henry.

But, what is even better? A tight end that can block, catch and run. They are hard to come by but if you can get one, or better two, you can create havoc.
Plus the fact KK realized how much he can do with TE's this season. He even said they took some plays from the Ravens playbook. He has a great offensive mind, watch & see how many different formations & plays he comes up with using the TE's next season. He's probably been drawing up new stuff ever since the season ended. There's a reason his offenses averaged 40-50 points/game at TT. I know the Big 12 isn't known for quality defense but he knows how to draw plays up & scheme. Having a season under his belt in the NFL now & seeing what does & doesn't work, he will continue to adapt. I can't wait till the FA period & draft in the next 2 months.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It sure did after game 4 lol. Lots of 11 & 12 personnel & running the ball more. I think KK is smart enough to realize those sets work in the NFL & he can get so creative out of them with many different formations. When we do get a true #1 WR he will probably be about 50-50 between 10 & 11\12 personnel. Definitely more 10 personnel than any other NFL team but not abandoning the TE.

Well it did and it didn't. He went to more 11 and 12 personnel groups but the TE was not a target in the passing game. They were mainly used as blockers for the run game and pass protection. The TEs we are talking about here are caught 50-70 passes or more. Look at Ertz in 2018 who had over 100 catches alone. Our entire group of TEs caught 40 passes. That is what I am saying, the TE in Klingsbury offense is not a big production position in the passing game.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well it did and it didn't. He went to more 11 and 12 personnel groups but the TE was not a target in the passing game. They were mainly used as blockers for the run game and pass protection. The TEs we are talking about here are caught 50-70 passes or more. Look at Ertz in 2018 who had over 100 catches alone. Our entire group of TEs caught 40 passes. That is what I am saying, the TE in Klingsbury offense is not a big production position in the passing game.
Maybe not a lot of receptions from the TE but he will keep using them & do some creative things imo. If we signed one like Ertz or Hooper.........? He would almost have to find ways to get them receptions. Personally I love the 12 personnel sets, two TE's blocking or making the defense think so, then releasing down the seam behind LB's.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other factor is all the offenses they play in feature the TE as a significant part of the offense. Not sure Klingsbury's offense does or ever will do that.
Refresh this old guy's memory - were Kelce, Kittle or Gronk Top 8 players? Or were they drafted later by a savvy GM?

My point - sometimes uncovering a diamond in the rough has less to do with early 1st round decision-making and more with competant scout-to-prospect evaluation.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Refresh this old guy's memory - were Kelce, Kittle or Gronk Top 8 players? Or were they drafted later by a savvy GM?

My point - sometimes uncovering a diamond in the rough has less to do with early 1st round decision-making and more with competant scout-to-prospect evaluation.
Gronk 2nd
Kelce 3rd
Kittle 5th

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Maybe not a lot of receptions from the TE but he will keep using them & do some creative things imo. If we signed one like Ertz or Hooper.........? He would almost have to find ways to get them receptions. Personally I love the 12 personnel sets, two TE's blocking or making the defense think so, then releasing down the seam behind LB's.

These two reasons are why I doubt any of them would come to AZ unless they were guaranteed 6-8 targets a game or more. I just can't imagine any of them coming to AZ to become primarily blockers when they could go somewhere else or stay where they are and know they are going to see the ball coming their way on a regular basis.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

The Dan Arnold fan club agrees sir :)

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
They have time. Offensive line is still key. As long as we continue to ignore the line we will fail.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave