Jurecki: Keim stays as GM for 2019 season (old thread)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wonder if we can hire Scot McCloughan as a consultant going into this season. It would be valuable to have an outsider do a deep evaluation of the roster and have someone outside the building weigh in on the top 60 prospects or so.

It's going to be really interesting if we decide to re-sign some/any of these pending free agents:

Benson Mayowa
Markus Golden
Gerald Hodges
Deone Bucannon
Rodney Gunter
John Wetzel
Olsen Pierre

I think Tre Boston and Iupati are likely gone.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Great. Lame duck GM getting to pick new coach, use #1 pick when his first round picks have sucked, and gobble up all the cap space. Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for success. In no universe ever.

Yeah this is essentially the thoughts I have about it.

The right move is to start over fresh but a lot of this is just fear, fear that we could go backwards on the GM front too. Given our history that's a legit fear and it's the money.

Eating all that salary was I would imagine just too much to ask coupled with a fear of doing WORSE on the GM which let's be honest is a good possiblity given this organizations track record.

This would be the year if we were ever going to go rouge and go for one, this would of been it, that would of told me they had changed forever.

It just wasn't practical though, it's too much money.

Buddy Ryan is like a ghost that just haunts this franchise I'm sure they still cringe every time the word buddy even comes up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There's a positive and a negative to retaining him.

Positive: Was there a better option out there to replace him with now? Most likely not, but maybe Ozzie Newsome looks to get back into a GM position after next year after taking a reduced role to stay in BAL.

Negative: If ARZ finishes below .500 next year, then Keim has to go but the problem is that there will be a new coaching regime next year and if Keim is axed then the staff has to go too and that means a fourth OC for Rosen and yet another new system to learn.

I think Keim goes after McCarthy as he is probably the most established and decorated offensive coach on the market this year. It will be interesting what the new DC does, stay at 4-3 or return to 3-4? Whatever the scheme, Keim needs to get the right players to fit the new scheme instead of hoping guys can transition into those roles. He has plenty of cap room to bring in guys, hopefully he is not looking for basement bargain guys who come cheap either because they are always injured or over the hill. The holes on the team are obvious, (LB's, OL, WR & #2 CB), not sufficiently addressing these areas is going to seal his fate next year.

One thing is for sure, if we don't finish above .500 next year because of a busted draft and FA, Keim has to go, no more chances. Especially if he hires a proven coach and an upgraded coaching staff.
A) “most likely not” - huh? You don’t think there are personnel guys throughout the league that if given the chance can be better than 3 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, 2 losing seasons (one of which is the worst any of us can recall) and a measley single playoff win? Again this is an expectations deficiency. Lots of Cards fans suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

B) if you’re giving him that short a leash you’re also likely influencing his decision making for “win now” instead of “best interests of team long term.” That short a leash, just fire him now.

In summation - Keim gotta go.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I will put this here too and also add Kiem has been with this organization before BA and he was been a part of the turnaround since the dark days. So in no way is he a lame duck GM going into next year.

I have zero clue why anyone thinks Kiem should be fired? No one teamhas ever had 100% of their draft picks pan out. Heck I think even the Cards are at a higher percentage of quality picks over the average team.

How soon people forget we where drafting at the end of every round for the past 6 years.

Yes, this year had some bad big deals. Bradford was bad, but he was the best option to be a gap QB.. but that was a miss. The contract was perfect out side of the one year hit.

The OL was bad this year..but Wilk's system was a bunch of run blockers and less pass protection... injuries and bad scheme doomed that group.

I put the horrid D all on Wilk's. He made one of our better players in Buccanon worthless. For a CB coach there was tons on miss communication and poor coverage that is 100% on the scheme.

The one area Kiem is responsible for is the WR room. That group was horrible and full on non-nfl players. I know Wilk's wanted to be a run first team, but this team needed at least quality WR. With the trades of quality WR this year the Cards should have been able to improve that group.

The DUI is a black eye and something that could have been a reason to cut Kiem. But the organization decided to address that and move forward.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
That is the foundation for a playoff roster. Obviously, more needs to be added, but it's not like we're starting a franchise from scratch.

Add Nick Bosa and the first pick in the 2nd round along with several free agents

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is what I know...

Josh Rosen
Mike Glennon
David Johnson
Jermaine Gresham
Ricky Seals-Jones
Christian Kirk
Chad Williams
Trent Sherfield
Pharoah Cooper
DJ Humphries
Mason Cole
Justin Pugh
Korey Cunningham
Joseph Barksdale
John Wetzel
Chandler Jones
Markus Golden
Bronson Mayowa
Corey Peters
Rodney Gunter
Olsen Pierre
Robert Nkemdiche
Haason Reddick
Deone Bucannon
Josh Bynes
Patrick Peterson
Budda Baker
DJ Swearinger
Antoine Bethea
Zane Gonzalez
Andy Lee
Our LS
Zeke Turner

These guys all are good enough to be on a 53 man, NFL roster. Are they all starters, no. But they all can fill roles.
Agreed. But if they are mostly end of roster guys that still sucks. I get that all NFL rosters are pyramids of talent.

All pros
Starters
Marginal starters
Rotation guys/good special teamers
Good backups/special teamers
Deep backups/projects

I think our 53 is bottom heavy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A) “most likely not” - huh? You don’t think there are personnel guys throughout the league that if given the chance can be better than 3 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, 2 losing seasons (one of which is the worst any of us can recall) and a measley single playoff win? Again this is an expectations deficiency. Lots of Cards fans suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

B) if you’re giving him that short a leash you’re also likely influencing his decision making for “win now” instead of “best interests of team long term.” That short a leash, just fire him now.

In summation - Keim gotta go.
I would be fine with Keim getting axed but one simple question, with who? Name one of these personnel guys you feel would be an upgrade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The comment I was replying to said "Lack of Talent on the team." This isn't the Cards in Dave McGinnis's last year. I think the Cards in the past did a good job of having a deep team but no top-level talent.

Now, I think we have as much top-level talent as anyone in the NFL, but the "Belly of the team" got neglected or the risks we placed there (Iupati, Humphries, etc.) just didn't pan out.

There are plenty of fine depth players that fill out the roster. I apologize for not naming the top 20-30 players on the roster I'm fine with coming back next year.
Yeah I’d agree with this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sam Bradford signing still irks me about Keim.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
It would of been earth shattering to see the GM fired too just because of the logistics but it probably would of been the right move if you thought you could land a very high quality GM.

Personally I don't know that we have the horsepower to do this but if you can't do it when you have the number one pick and the cap room we do, you will never be able to do it.

It just didn't line up because of the re-upping of Kiem and not letting him go when they had the chance for cause.

Ok so now that it's Kiem, someone at least make sure to hire some OL talent evaluation into the organization cause organizationally we simply suck at this and we're never going anywhere until this is corrected.

I think we can make Kiem work at GM he has pluses but for the love of all that is holy please recognize your weaknesses and do something to address the OL. Please don't let Kiem just ego this one out or we will be doomed to yet more futulity.

Kiem is not that bad but he needs more than just being put on notice he needs to be evaluated and he needs to shore up defiient areas without just mouthing platitudes like it's on me.

Yes a lot of it is on you, however if you got overruled for the coaching staff then that's on Michael but both of you need to do some honest soul searching and fix whatever is broken.

*Keim

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed. But if they are mostly end of roster guys that still sucks. I get that all NFL rosters are pyramids of talent.

All pros
Starters
Marginal starters
Deep backups/projects

That’s a fair point, but I also think we have a lot of younger players who could become good starters.

My main issue this year is that we saw no progress week to week. RSJ was a major disappointment for example.

I am just hoping that with a decent coaching staff we help players realise their potential

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All pros
Starters
Marginal starters
Deep backups/projects

Agree. Conversely, we lack talent in the area beteen our All Pros and marginal starters.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will put this here too and also add Kiem has been with this organization before BA and he was been a part of the turnaround since the dark days. So in no way is he a lame duck GM going into next year.

I have zero clue why anyone thinks Kiem should be fired? No one teamhas ever had 100% of their draft picks pan out. Heck I think even the Cards are at a higher percentage of quality picks over the average team.

How soon people forget we where drafting at the end of every round for the past 6 years.

Yes, this year had some bad big deals. Bradford was bad, but he was the best option to be a gap QB.. but that was a miss. The contract was perfect out side of the one year hit.

The OL was bad this year..but Wilk's system was a bunch of run blockers and less pass protection... injuries and bad scheme doomed that group.

I put the horrid D all on Wilk's. He made one of our better players in Buccanon worthless. For a CB coach there was tons on miss communication and poor coverage that is 100% on the scheme.

The one area Kiem is responsible for is the WR room. That group was horrible and full on non-nfl players. I know Wilk's wanted to be a run first team, but this team needed at least quality WR. With the trades of quality WR this year the Cards should have been able to improve that group.

The DUI is a black eye and something that could have been a reason to cut Kiem. But the organization decided to address that and move forward.
Holy apologist Batman! So much revisionist/wrong/skewed information here I don’t know where to start . . . or, given the fact that you believe all this, why I should even bother . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would be fine with Keim getting axed but one simple question, with who? Name one of these personnel guys you feel would be an upgrade.
I’m sorry, I’m an ERISA attorney. I’m not in professional sports. Someone with the Cardinals is literally tasked with determining this. But to hear you say it, there will never be a good gm in the NFL again because you or I don’t know who it might be. That’s ridiculous. That’s like you saying “there will never be a good plan Advisor in the retirement industry again” because you got mediocre advice from one on your 401(k) and you don’t know any others. Because I’m in the industry I could name 8 off the top of my head that I believe to be great candidates.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

All pros
Starters
Marginal starters
Deep backups/projects

All Pros
Chandler Jones - Pass Rusher
Patrick Peterson - CB
David Johnson - RB
Andy Lee - P

Starters
DJ Humphries - OT (understanding you have to have a decent backup option)
Mason Cole - C
Christian Kirk - WR
Justin Pugh - OG
Jermaine Gresham - TE
Corey Peters - DT
Markus Golden - DE/OLB
Budda Baker - S
DJ Swearinger - S
Antoine Bethea - S

Fringe Starters / Rotation Guys
Rodney Gunter - DT
Robert Nkemdiche - DT
Haason Reddick - LB

With 70 mil and draft picks, even I could make this work. It will come down to getting the right coaches and the offensive line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a fair point, but I also think we have a lot of younger players who could become good starters.

My main issue this year is that we saw no progress week to week. RSJ was a major disappointment for example.

I am just hoping that with a decent coaching staff we help players realise their potential
Which players do you think have good starting potential? Last year we thought it was RSJ. He failed miserably. You can blame it on coaching not developing him, but maybe he went undrafted for a reason? Just maybe? And then Keim bought into his flashes? So did we. But we are fans. Keim is paid to make better decisions than us. And thus far, at least the last three years (THREE YEARS) I don’t believe he’s done that. I literally believe a committee from the board could’ve done his job as well, or better, than he . . . and that’s all of us doing it on a part time basis.

As an aside - how many homicides do you think would result from said committee? Now THAT would be made for television entertainment!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All Pros
Patrick Peterson - CB
David Johnson - RB
Andy Lee - P

Starters
Mason Cole - C
Christian Kirk - WR
Justin Pugh - OG
Jermaine Gresham - TE
Corey Peters - DT
Markus Golden - DE/OLB
Budda Baker - S
DJ Swearinger - S
Antoine Bethea - S

Rodney Gunter - DT
Robert Nkemdiche - DT
Haason Reddick - LB

With 70 mil and draft picks, even I could make this work. It will come down to getting the right coaches and the offensive line.
Oh I totally agree with you about what a GM should be able to do with this launching point.

Also, I can’t put Lee in the all pro category. He’s in special teams tier.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
so, if you believe SW is a horrific coach and should be fired, do you think it's a mistake not to fire SK at this point?

I mean, you want to talk about 3 or 4 head coaches in 4 years will do to a QB, well, let me tell you something 2 straight years of POUNDING AND AWFULNESS will destroy him too.

Exactly what I am saying. Fire them both.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
All Pros
Patrick Peterson - CB
David Johnson - RB
Andy Lee - P

Starters
Mason Cole - C
Christian Kirk - WR
Justin Pugh - OG
Jermaine Gresham - TE
Corey Peters - DT
Markus Golden - DE/OLB
Budda Baker - S
DJ Swearinger - S
Antoine Bethea - S

Rodney Gunter - DT
Robert Nkemdiche - DT
Haason Reddick - LB

Those fringe/rotational players have serious potential under the right coach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Those fringe/rotational players have serious potential under the right coach
The entire roster does IMO. We aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender, but we have enough pieces to compete with the Wild Card teams.

Chandler Jones and Patrick Peterson are as good of a CB/Pass Rusher combo as you will find in the NFL. That enables you to do a ton defensively, if you are smart. Double the opposing teams best WR and man Peterson on the other.

Three vet S's. Again, a smart coach uses that to eliminate big plays.

A decent DT rotation, even if it lacks a top end player.

A multi purpose RB.

One top 20 TE.

One athletic TE who can be a mismatch and used situationally.

A decent coach should be able to figure out how to make Humphries, ???, Cole, Pugh, Barksdale work. Cunnigham, Shipley, and Wetzel give you bench players with starting experience.

One decent NFL wide receiver.

It's not that bare.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose