Jordan Hicks

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Love how this guy has received lemons and made lemonade.

He contributed to the key play in the Browns game. When J.J. forced the Baker fumble with the Cardinals leading 20-14, he shoved (blocked) the Browns' running back out of the way so Kennard could recover the pigskin.

He's on the books for $4.25 million in salary next season. I hope 'we' keep him based on his play and leadership so far this season. You can never have too much depth at ILB.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well quite a few posters on here still say he sucks and is the Ronald McKinnon of today......

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well quite a few posters on here still say he sucks and is the Ronald McKinnon of today......
He is a very limited player who is playing instead of an athletic freak behind him. It is going to be natural to be critical of him when his atheltic skills make him a liability. I did like him being in coverage less and blitzing more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hicks has played very well this year. Color me surprised. The only problem that I have with Hicks is that I think you should field your best 11 and I think Zaven belongs in our best 11. The job of the defensive coordinator is to shape your defense based off of the players you have. Our rush defense would be much better if Zaven was in there more on early downs.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been critical of him because he looked so slow in the first games and making tackles downfield

He did look better in the Browns game

But like Chopper said he blocking Collins who I want to play more to gain experience and give our D another dimension

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have been critical of him because he looked so slow in the first games and making tackles downfield

He did look better in the Browns game

But like Chopper said he blocking Collins who I want to play more to gain experience and give our D another dimension

And who does the DC communicate with to set the "D".?

There's a reason why they want him on the field, and last I checked we're giving up 18.2 pts per game #2 in the League.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And who does the DC communicate with to set the "D".?

There's a reason why they want him on the field, and last I checked we're giving up 18.2 pts per game #2 in the League.
You can be results focused or process focused. For those who are process focused, giving up 18.2 points per game is less important than being in the right places to make plays and being able to make plays.

This mindset that citing areas to improve or areas of concern are invalid because of our rankings or record is just silly and naïve. Sustainable success is based up on solid process and system. Results can be skewed which is why regression is a thing.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Ronald McKinnon that was 5’10” and had like 260 tackles in a season?

Sorry, that guy was pretty awesome IMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hicks has played very well this year. Color me surprised. The only problem that I have with Hicks is that I think you should field your best 11 and I think Zaven belongs in our best 11. The job of the defensive coordinator is to shape your defense based off of the players you have. Our rush defense would be much better if Zaven was in there more on early downs.
Who would Zaven replace? And obviously, he couldn’t replace a DB or D-lineman on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can be results focused or process focused. For those who are process focused, giving up 18.2 points per game is less important than being in the right places to make plays and being able to make plays.

This mindset that citing areas to improve or areas of concern are invalid because of our rankings or record is just silly and naïve. Sustainable success is based up on solid process and system. Results can be skewed which is why regression is a thing.
Equally as silly is equating being in the right places to make plays abd being able to make plays. I’d say right now Vance believes Hicks is better than Collins in the former even if Collins is superior in the latter. Difficult to make the play when you’re in the wrong place.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Process & Results = 18.2

* there will be opportunities (and there have been) for Zaven to get snaps, and it's silly, naive, and regressive to impose change where none is needed at this point.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

100% this

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Process & Results = 18.2

* there will be opportunities (and there have been) for Zaven to get snaps, and it's silly, naive, and regressive to impose change where none is needed at this point.
2019 - 27.6
2020 - 22.9
2021 - 18.2 (6 games)

So, 6 games vs 32 is a much different sample size and the numbers are different which means something is an outlier. It is like equating a .225 batter on a 150 at bat sample size and that same batter going 3-4 in a game. Same player, much different results, and the recent success does not guarantee a long term change.

And no one is imposing a change so you are creating an argument out of nothing. It was implied posters on here were unfairly critical of him. Similarly when the topic is brought up, people bring up the team defense ranking like Hicks isn't one of 11 guys out there on the field vs Hicks actual play.

Again, Hicks is a limited player. That means he is going to have games where he is good and games where he is bad. There are going to be plays that he just can't make and will be a target for opposing teams. That is where the Ronald McKinnon comps come in. At this point Vance is rolling with Hicks for better or worse as he has done over the past two seasons. My guess is that Hicks continues to be the guy he has been with AZ the majority of the 30+ game he has played in AZ.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
2019 - 27.6
2020 - 22.9
2021 - 18.2 (6 games)

So, 6 games vs 32 is a much different sample size and the numbers are different which means something is an outlier. It is like equating a .225 batter on a 150 at bat sample size and that same batter going 3-4 in a game. Same player, much different results, and the recent success does not guarantee a long term change.

And no one is imposing a change so you are creating an argument out of nothing. It was implied posters on here were unfairly critical of him. Similarly when the topic is brought up, people bring up the team defense ranking like Hicks isn't one of 11 guys out there on the field vs Hicks actual play.

Again, Hicks is a limited player. That means he is going to have games where he is good and games where he is bad. There are going to be plays that he just can't make and will be a target for opposing teams. That is where the Ronald McKinnon comps come in. At this point Vance is rolling with Hicks for better or worse as he has done over the past two seasons. My guess is that Hicks continues to be the guy he has been with AZ the majority of the 30+ game he has played in AZ.
Mental gymnastics. Look at the numbers and you see steady constant improvement

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave