Jordan Hicks

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allen's problem, for the most part, seemed to be overcommitting to the left and opening the cutback lane.
He didn't over commit, he was moved and pushed around. At the very least just hold your ground and occupy space, fill up a hole, make the runner run around you or go to another gap.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You can understand the game perfectly but still be too slow by a few steps to be effective. That's Hicks. No, his DL didn't help him one bit against Minny, which may have helped paper over some of the cracks in his game, but make no mistake, those cracks are there and clearly visible.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can understand the game perfectly but still be too slow by a few steps to be effective. That's Hicks. No, his DL didn't help him one bit against Minny, which may have helped paper over some of the cracks in his game, but make no mistake, those cracks are there and clearly visible.

While I don't disagree I think it's fair to add that we only see the very thin surface of what is going on in a game. We often judge a player by the end result and don't understand what led to it.

Hicks (Like all Mike's) has a very complicated role. He has an assigned role to fill on every play, but also has to adjust quickly to compensate for errors that happen in front of him.

I think sometimes we expect linebackers to be everywhere filling every possible gap that opens up like some magic psychic superhero. But if Hicks job is to fill the A gap and the edge blows contain and the RB take the ball outside it's hardly Hicks fault he can only make the tackle 8 yards downfield.

Plus, how many times can Hicks watch Allen get blown up before he starts over compensating for the next Allen mistake at the expense of doing your own job?

Hicks was good at Philly, and immediately not good when here. Could that be because Philly had a very good interior D line and we don't?

I don't know. But I feel like the answer could be that it's not all on Hicks.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While I don't disagree I think it's fair to add that we only see the very thin surface of what is going on in a game. We often judge a player by the end result and don't understand what led to it.

Hicks (Like all Mike's) has a very complicated role. He has an assigned role to fill on every play, but also has to adjust quickly to compensate for errors that happen in front of him.

I think sometimes we expect linebackers to be everywhere filling every possible gap that opens up like some magic psychic superhero. But if Hicks job is to fill the A gap and the edge blows contain and the RB take the ball outside it's hardly Hicks fault he can only make the tackle 8 yards downfield.

Plus, how many times can Hicks watch Allen get blown up before he starts over compensating for the next Allen mistake at the expense of doing your own job?

Hicks was good at Philly, and immediately not good when here. Could that be because Philly had a very good interior D line and we don't?

I don't know. But I feel like the answer could be that it's not all on Hicks.

I wondered if there was any correlation between D line performance and linebacker performance visible in in PFF grades (It's all there is, don't moan).

PFF's 3rd ranked LB is Troy Reeder of the Ram's. Hardly a superstar but I guess playing behind Aaron Donald helps.

Main one that stands out for me is Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson with a 79.6 grade (8th best) which correlated with B.J Hill, Josh Topou and DJ Reader being 4th, 9th and 11th ranked iDL respectively.

Demario Davis is the 6th ranked iLB for the Saints behind a notoriously good iDL.

There's obviously some correlation there. That's not to say that physical talent doesn't play a role, but it's much easier to show that talent behind a good iDL where you can focus on doing your job without having to worry about doing everyone else's.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daryl Washington was crazy good till he ruined his career, pure athleticism and instict
There literally is no such thing as football "instincts". An instinct, by definition, is an innate, unlearned behavior.

People who are said to have football "instincts" are in fact mentally processing things very quickly and subconsciously recognizing patterns, as a result of film study, mental preparation, and countless reps. This is exactly what Ouchie is referring to as "the cerebral part of the game."

...dave

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There literally is no such thing as football "instincts". An instinct, by definition, is an innate, unlearned behavior.

People who are said to have football "instincts" are in fact mentally processing things very quickly and subconsciously recognizing patterns, as a result of film study, mental preparation, and countless reps. This is exactly what Ouchie is referring to as "the cerebral part of the game."

...dave

Great post.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While true it fails to take into consideration his role in setting the defense. An someone else do it? Apparently not Collins yet. Maybe Simmons, but he’s still green abd it took him awhile to get to speed. Maybe budda, but he likely hasn’t ever done it before.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
While true it fails to take into consideration his role in setting the defense. An someone else do it? Apparently not Collins yet. Maybe Simmons, but he’s still green abd it took him awhile to get to speed. Maybe budda, but he likely hasn’t ever done it before.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. Which is sad--we shouldn't have to play a guy that hinders the D JUST for this reason. I assume Simmons will never be able to do it because they move him around so much and you can't really call the D from the LOS on the edge. As to why Budda can't do it, I have no idea.

AzRedbird69

Free Agent
Reaction score
I saw what I saw!
I agree. I saw Hicks overrun 3 different plays that resulted in big gains up the middle. On Cousins run up the gut, Hicks followed the HB in the flat when there was already a defender there, leaving the middle WIDE OPEN.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MylerKurray