Jonathan Cooper on track for a starting job

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Jonathan Cooper on track for a starting job
Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2017, 12:57 PM EDT
You must be registered for see images

A top-10 pick of the Cardinals in 2013, offensive lineman Jonathan Cooper has been a major disappointment.

He has started only 14 games over four years, bouncing from Arizona to New England to Cleveland. He’s on track to start up to 16 in 2017.

Cooper is listed as the starting left guard in the new-look Dallas offensive line, replacing free-agent departure Ron Leary. Cooper joins La'el Collins, who replaces the retired Doug Free at right tackle.

Mainstays Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis Frederick holding their spots at left tackle, right guard, and center.

Elsewhere on the unofficial, non-binding depth chart, Darren McFadden appears as the No. 2 tailback, which puts him in line to replace Ezekiel Elliott if/when Elliott is suspended. Behind McFadden are Alfred Morris and the recently-signed Ronnie Hillman.

Intriguing tight end Rico Gathers, a converted basketball player who has vowed not to spend another year on the practice squad, sits at No. 4 on the tight end depth chart.

On defense, first-round pass rusher Taco Charlton appears as a No.2 defensive end behindTyrone Crawford. With David Irving still officially listed as a defensive tackle, however, it’s unclear where actually will Charlton appear in the pecking order of the pass-rush rotation.

Jaylon Smith, who finally has been able to return from a serious knee injury suffered in his final college game, is the No. 3 middle linebacker, and the new starters at cornerback with bothBrandon Carr and Morris Claiborne gone are Orlando Scandrick and Nolan Carroll.

Rookie Ryan Switzer is the No. 1 kick returner and the No. 2 punt returner, behind Cole Beasley.

It’s all unofficial and subject to change, but it’s an insight into what the Cowboys think of their roster after two weeks in Oxnard and a preseason game in Canton.

I wish all the best for Cooper, but I think this is more on the weakening of the Cowboys' O-Line.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it too soon to be talking about Dak Prescott's sophomore slump?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I keyed in on Cooper during the game on Thursday, and he looked like the same sloppy mess he was here.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cards and the Patriots gave up on him, that is much more than Davis ever had.

I think that the cowboys o-line will not be as strong as last year, in fact loosing LG and RT will need probably set the strong run blocking back by a large margin.

IMHO Dak Prescott like most QB will have a bad 2nd year and the Cowboys will have a high pick in the next draft.

But we will see

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The Cards and the Patriots gave up on him, that is much more than Davis ever had.

I think that the cowboys o-line will not be as strong as last year, in fact loosing LG and RT will need probably set the strong run blocking back by a large margin.

IMHO Dak Prescott like most QB will have a bad 2nd year and the Cowboys will have a high pick in the next draft.

But we will see

They are primed to take a step backward, that's for sure -- but they have too much talent to completely fall off the cliff