Jon Wilner: USC+UCLA to Big 10 in 2024 (being finalized)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this as well. The geography doesn't make a lot of sense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's on Bruinzone, I can't read 247 at work to see there would be more info there. it's all about money but it's also apparently connected to the tv deals.

It will be interesting UCLA is sort of waiting on the NIL thing to see how it plays out they have a collective but not very large and they're struggling in recruiting because of that. What we're being told is the AD and the folks in charge are afraid the amount of pool needed to compete, will set off red flags with the NCAA and the really big money boosters aren't interested in small potatoes.

USC on the other hand is basically buying players like the SEC assuming even if the NCAA eventually says it's against the rules., they won't punish teams for doing it now. They have a huge collective, probably as big or bigger than anybody in the Big 10.

But will be interesting.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
That really weakens the Rose Bowl tradition. It will never be the same now. What's left of it that is.

Why not just do away with all those silly bowls and create a 16 team playoff. All conference champs, all undefeated teams, and the rest according to the rankings. If they want, they could play those 15 games in the bowl game cities so they can have their $$$. The first round would be played in the 8 least prestigous bowls, then the next 4, 2, and 1 in the other bowls as listed. The final game could be rotated with/in the Rose, Sugar, and Orange bowls yearly.
  • Rose

• Sugar
  • Orange

• Cotton
  • Fiesta
  • Peach
  • Citrus

• Gator/TaxSlayer
  • Liberty
  • Sun
  • Holiday
  • Outback/Hall of Fame
  • Alamo
  • Copper
  • Blockbuster

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I saw this as well. The geography doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree, but when looking at most other conferences, it seems geography plays little part any longer. I do see the long traditional connection though of the Big 10 and Pac 10 teams, especially of old.

Maybe they will end one day in the far future with just 3 huge Major Conferences with all the top football schools, plus one remaining Conference of Independents and the not so traditional football programs. The playoffs then could be just 4 teams, the top one from each group.

If they did that, I would like to see a tradition began where at the end of each season the top team from the 'indepenent conference' could apply to replace a team in one of the major conferences. The 3 major conferences would be based on old geographic rivalries between the Northern, Southern, Western states, plus the Liberty conference.