Jon Barry: If Suns get No. 1 pick in NBA Draft, trade it and draft Ja Morant

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The reality is the only option for Zion is get the number one pick. If I was a team and the Suns wanted to trade up for Zion from two, I would want Booker AND the second pick. Ayton would not move the scale for me. Essentially if I took Ayton, and the second pick, I would have Ayton and RJ Barret. I would rather have Zion. If you said Booker and I get RJ Barret, now I can build on that!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn that scenario around. That’s basically the Suns trading Ayton and the #2 pick for Zion.

Honestly I can't tell which way you're going here. I might trade the 2 and Ayton for Zion, no way do I trade Zion for Ayton and the number 2. There will be a few stars in this class but other than Williamson I have no idea who they will be so I don't put much value on that number 2 pick.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton for all his detractors had a historic season for a rookie center.

JJJ is a very good player, but I wouldn't consider him in Ayton's class. So you can't say switch it around when the player you are switching it with is in an entirely different class than the original one

Sure I can because in my opinion they’re not in different classes. JJJ should’ve been a freshman in college last year so he’s behind the curve but I think his defensive upside puts him right up there with the other guys.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Honestly I can't tell which way you're going here. I might trade the 2 and Ayton for Zion, no way do I trade Zion for Ayton and the number 2. There will be a few stars in this class but other than Williamson I have no idea who they will be so I don't put much value on that number 2 pick.

That’s where I’m at. I know i went back and forth with you about Zion maybe being overhyped but I’ve backed off it. If you break thru the insane physical traits and historic efficiency you still have a high iq player who wants to destroy his opponent. As hard as he plays he’s always under control even in traffic. Trading him in nonsense... You’ll have a star front court on rookie deals thru 2022-23 and can upgrade the PG position other way. I know this is coming from Jon Barry’s comments but the Suns would never consider it.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Jon Barry is crazy. If he had said draft Zion and then move BACK into the draft to get Ja, then THAT makes sense. Ja might be too high, but if you could move back in and get White or Garret that may make more sense. Like some have been saying, we have rookie PGs. What we need is a veteran PG.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Barry is crazy. If he had said draft Zion and then move BACK into the draft to get Ja, then THAT makes sense. Ja might be too high, but if you could move back in and get White or Garret that may make more sense. Like some have been saying, we have rookie PGs. What we need is a veteran PG.

Many have been saying that, I'm on a different page. I think we need a good point guard far more than we need a veteran PG. If that good PG is a rookie, I want him. We (likely) aren't winning it all next year anyway even if we draft Zion. For the long term we need a starting PG that shows up in all or most of the categories. If we can't get a good PG, only then would I settle for one of the mediocre PG's that might be attainable.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You don't pass up on Zion. Doesn't matter if Suns need a PG or not. He is a player that doesn't come around often. You could find a decent PG to help the team, but you will never get another chance for another Zion type player.

What does this post even matter? We aren't getting the number 1 picks as we all know the Knicks will, because the NBA wants Zion to go to them. :p

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this post even matter? We aren't getting the number 1 picks as we all know the Knicks will, because the NBA wants Zion to go to them. :p

I know you're kidding but so many actually believe it (here and elsewhere). Makes you wonder why David Robinson, Danny Manning, Larry Johnson, Shaq, Chris Webber, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton and other highly regarded lottery era number one picks were drafted by teams that were neither the Knicks nor the Lakers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know you're kidding but so many actually believe it (here and elsewhere). Makes you wonder why David Robinson, Danny Manning, Larry Johnson, Shaq, Chris Webber, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton and other highly regarded lottery era number one picks were drafted by teams that were neither the Knicks nor the Lakers.
And one of them went to the Suns. Granted, the 50-and-fade philosophy was responsible for that for forty years.

Although, I guess one #1 in this decade isn't too bad. Which is why it is highly unlikely that we will luck out again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would consider trading Zion for Morant+Markannen/JJJ maybe Collins

But I doubt that is on the table

I don't know if I would do it for the #2 and Collins but if Atlanta wants to sell someone on that and can be convinced to take Ja themselves so we get Collins and Trae Young I would do that. They would be making an off the wall proposal already so I'd respond with that, take it or leave it. I don't think Markannen has as high of an upside as JJJ or Collins so I think that would knock the Bulls out of the running and JJJ's injury worries me some as well as his fit with Ayton. Collins and Young for Zion, sure, but that's the only deal I'd take from a high lottery team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you look into some of those picks there is a reason why they landed where they did as far as it being best for the league to place them in the cities they ended up in. Lebron going to the struggling Cavs as a hometown Savior. Shaq establishing a new expansion team, Derrick Rose being a Chicago native, even Ayton having a history in Arizona. I looked into it previously when lottery conspiracies were discussed and there are a lot of links between #1 picks and the teams that ended up with those picks as far as that being the ideal landing spot for them for various reasons not related simply to their need for help on the court.

I don't know if it's rigged, I don't believe it is but at the same time if it came out that it was, it wouldn't be all that shocking. I don't believe it's as random as the league would like you to believe and that could mean a number of things, either odds aren't as straight forward as they seem or they could have had a hand in tilting those odds in various years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't know if I would do it for the #2 and Collins but if Atlanta wants to sell someone on that and can be convinced to take Ja themselves so we get Collins and Trae Young I would do that. They would be making an off the wall proposal already so I'd respond with that, take it or leave it. I don't think Markannen has as high of an upside as JJJ or Collins so I think that would knock the Bulls out of the running and JJJ's injury worries me some as well as his fit with Ayton. Collins and Young for Zion, sure, but that's the only deal I'd take from a high lottery team.

We would probably be worse defensively with Collins or Markkanen but they’re good fits with Ayton offensively. Idk they’re both two years away from big extensions which is another reason trading Zion is a disaster idea. He’s perfect defensively between Bridges and Ayton plus he wouldn’t have the pressure to be an instant superstar with Book here. Also Ayton wouldn’t care about being the third wheel. Call me a homer but Mt Zion is the best fit in Phoenix.

Booker doesn’t need a Westbrook type PG like Morant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker doesn’t need a Westbrook type PG like Morant.

You think Morant is a Westbrook type PG? I wouldn't make that comparison. If I had to pick a current NBA PG to compare him to I'd say he's more like John Wall than Westbrook. He's not nearly as ball dominant as Westbrook. I know he was the offense on his college team but I don't think that will be the same in the NBA. I think we'll see him shoot a lot less, which is a good thing because he needs to improve his 3pt shooting. He's more of a willing passer than Westbrook though. I know Westbrook averages 10+ assists a game but he's not exactly the playmaker that other PG's are that are in the top 5 or 10 in assists per game.

I agree with the general idea that Booker doesn't need an All-Star level PG next to him. He doesn't need a Westbrook, Kemba, Lillard, Curry, etc. He would be fine with a Jeff Teague next to him, someone who can make the right passes and also hit 3's at a rate where defenses can't play off of him either. I think Morant is that sort of PG, or he can be. He'll be better than just average at the position, which Teague was for a little while also when he made the All-Star team in Atlanta.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look into some of those picks there is a reason why they landed where they did as far as it being best for the league to place them in the cities they ended up in. Lebron going to the struggling Cavs as a hometown Savior. Shaq establishing a new expansion team, Derrick Rose being a Chicago native, even Ayton having a history in Arizona. I looked into it previously when lottery conspiracies were discussed and there are a lot of links between #1 picks and the teams that ended up with those picks as far as that being the ideal landing spot for them for various reasons not related simply to their need for help on the court.

I don't know if it's rigged, I don't believe it is but at the same time if it came out that it was, it wouldn't be all that shocking. I don't believe it's as random as the league would like you to believe and that could mean a number of things, either odds aren't as straight forward as they seem or they could have had a hand in tilting those odds in various years.

That's easy to do. There's a half dozen reasons/places for most of these guys but nobody, NOBODY, was predicting most of these things before they happened. After the fact it's quite easy to rationalize it for any team or player. I even had another fan argue that a player ended up where they did to allay concerns that the lottery was fixed. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a conspiracy believer predict (guarantee) that such and such player was obviously going to New York (or Boston or LA etc.) only to see them end up as a Clipper or .

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You think Morant is a Westbrook type PG? I wouldn't make that comparison. If I had to pick a current NBA PG to compare him to I'd say he's more like John Wall than Westbrook. He's not nearly as ball dominant as Westbrook. I know he was the offense on his college team but I don't think that will be the same in the NBA. I think we'll see him shoot a lot less, which is a good thing because he needs to improve his 3pt shooting. He's more of a willing passer than Westbrook though. I know Westbrook averages 10+ assists a game but he's not exactly the playmaker that other PG's are that are in the top 5 or 10 in assists per game.

I agree with the general idea that Booker doesn't need an All-Star level PG next to him. He doesn't need a Westbrook, Kemba, Lillard, Curry, etc. He would be fine with a Jeff Teague next to him, someone who can make the right passes and also hit 3's at a rate where defenses can't play off of him either. I think Morant is that sort of PG, or he can be. He'll be better than just average at the position, which Teague was for a little while also when he made the All-Star team in Atlanta.

What makes you think Morant is that sort of point guard, or that he can be?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, in terms of ties, Zion has spent his entire life in North Carolina, so...

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If you play at Duke, you know a bit about teamwork.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Unless you're Austin Rivers...
He played pretty good this playoffs. Especially when you consider how he started his NBA career. I think he's topped out as a player, though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave