Joker

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I don't get with DC and joker, is that they keep switching him up. Ledger as the joker in the recent Batman was awesome. Then they change him up in Suicide Squad, then back to this one.

They're big fans of KFC and the Joker is the new Colonel Sanders. Next he'll be played by a woman...or George Hamilton as the Crispy Joker...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't too excited about this one, but I saw it anyway. I'm going to break it into thirds.

First act: snooze fest. I checked my watch several times. Felt like an indy movie trying too hard.

Second act : pace picked up and it became some what interesting, but felt a little contrived.

Final act: amazing and wish the whole movie was here. Turned dark and what you'd expect the Joker to be

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joker

Release date: October 4, 2019
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Todd Phillips
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriters: Todd Phillips, Scott Silver
Genre: Action, Crime

Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Zazie Beetz, Robert De Niro, Marc Maron, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Bill Camp, Glenn Fleshler, Douglas Hodge, Josh Pais, Shea Whigham, Douglas Hodge, Dante Pereira-Olsen

Plot Summary: Director Todd Phillips’ original, standalone origin story “Joker” explores the world of—and according to—Arthur Fleck. Indelibly portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix, Arthur is a man facing the cruelty and outright scorn of society, along with the indifference of a system that allows him to spiral from vulnerability into depravity. A clown-for-hire by day, he strives to be a stand-up comic at night…but finds that the joke always seems to be on him. He’s out of tune with everyone around him, as evidenced by his uncontrollable, inappropriate laughter, which gains momentum as he attempts to contain it, exposing him to further ridicule—and even violence. Arthur, who devotes himself to caring for his fragile mother, seeks out every father figure he’s never had, from wealthy businessman Thomas Wayne to TV host Murray Franklin. Caught in a cyclical existence teetering on the precipice of reality and madness, one bad decision brings about a chain reaction of escalating, ultimately deadly, events.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that so many critics are rattled makes me want to see it even more.

I don’t remember a movie that people are just gushing over like this. It’s been a long time.

A lot of Oscar buzz for Phoenix.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don’t remember a movie that people are just gushing over like this. It’s been a long time.

A lot of Oscar buzz for Phoenix.

People are gushing over this? Sad. Not that Phoenix wasn't absolutely phenomenal. I mean, first rate acting. Script? Directing? Blech! "See how skinny he is? SEE HOW SKINNY HE IS?!?!?! Here, we'll show you again and again and again and again and again..." And then some lol

Edit: That metaphor just wore thin for me ;)

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People are gushing over this? Sad. Not that Phoenix wasn't absolutely phenomenal. I mean, first rate acting. Script? Directing? Blech! "See how skinny he is? SEE HOW SKINNY HE IS?!?!?! Here, we'll show you again and again and again and again and again..." And then some lol

You didn’t like it?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You didn’t like it?

I didn't, no. DC just can't help themselves...it always HAS to be about the
Batman origin story
LOL For the thousandth time! I agree that the last 1/3 of the movie was pretty cool, sans the spoiler. The opening? The followup? Way overdone, way too slow, way too boring. Phoenix was great, but that's about it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was a utter snooze fest through the first 3rd of the movie. The pace of the movie was like watching paint peel. They could have edited it down and you would have missed nothing.

As others stated it picked up a bit after that but it was really the last 35 minutes or so where the movie delivered.

JP was phenomenal in the part. Fantastic acting. The overall movie and directing was disappointing.

At the end of the day despite my love for JP playing this part I am left wondering why this film was ever made. It’s standalone, doesn’t connect to the overall DCMU and there is no intention of using this version of the character again.

Had this movie had a better edited start and picked up about the 2/3rds mark of the film it could have been great.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I didn't, no. DC just can't help themselves...it always HAS to be about the
Batman origin story
LOL For the thousandth time! I agree that the last 1/3 of the movie was pretty cool, sans the spoiler. The opening? The followup? Way overdone, way too slow, way too boring. Phoenix was great, but that's about it.

All set up for Robert Pattinson now. :rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couldn't agree more with @Covert Rain and @Stout. The first 45 minutes were so slow I fell asleep at least 3 times. the middle was okay and the last 40ish minutes were en fuego.

saw this again today, this time not completely wiped out and man... those periods where I was in and out of sleep must have had a massive impact on my first viewing because upon second viewing, the whole movie was pretty ******* good.

weird thing is on the one hand, I'm bummed that we'll never get to see Joaquin square off against a great Batman, but on the other hand, I don't think this version of the Joker would really be that big of a foil for a good Batman. Don't get me wrong, Joaquin's performance is great, but this isn't a diabolical, criminal mastermind Joker... this dude's just super-duper out to lunch and dangerous.

really interesting as a one-off though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw this again today, this time not completely wiped out and man... those periods where I was in and out of sleep must have had a massive impact on my first viewing because upon second viewing, the whole movie was pretty ******* good.

weird thing is on the one hand, I'm bummed that we'll never get to see Joaquin square off against a great Batman, but on the other hand, I don't think this version of the Joker would really be that big of a foil for a good Batman. Don't get me wrong, Joaquin's performance is great, but this isn't a diabolical, criminal mastermind Joker... this dude's just super-duper out to lunch and dangerous.

Went to go see this again as well. Opinion has not changed one bit. Seriously, I especially paid attention to the first third and I have to say it was a bit like watching the Walking Dead cast walk through endless fields or forests. It simply wasn't necessary. They could have edited that down at least by half and it would have made all the difference in the world.

The entire premise of that opening act was to set the tone and establish the characters problems. Well a few seconds in it's established he has mental problems. The tone didn't take 1/3rd of the movie to establish. That happens really quickly.

I personally didn't expect a single bit of action in the film. I went into this thinking it was a more psychological take or character study on the Joker. So, I knew what to expect and it didn't help the first ACT. What could have also made it better is seeing about 15 minutes or so more of his impact on Gotham and his rise instead of the snippet at the end.

Interesting movie. Great performance by Phoenix but ultimately the movie simply felt like an exercise in futility since we know this was completely standalone and not even connected to an already cluster F of a universe created by the DCMU.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to go see this again as well. Opinion has not changed one bit. Seriously, I especially paid attention to the first third and I have to say it was a bit like watching the Walking Dead cast walk through endless fields or forests. It simply wasn't necessary. They could have edited that down at least by half and it would have made all the difference in the world.

The entire premise of that opening act was to set the tone and establish the characters problems. Well a few seconds in it's established he has mental problems. The tone didn't take 1/3rd of the movie to establish. That happens really quickly.

I personally didn't expect a single bit of action in the film. I went into this thinking it was a more psychological take or character study on the Joker. So, I knew what to expect and it didn't help the first ACT. What could have also made it better is seeing about 15 minutes or so more of his impact on Gotham and his rise instead of the snippet at the end.

Interesting movie. Great performance by Phoenix but ultimately the movie simply felt like an exercise in futility since we know this was completely standalone and not even connected to an already cluster F of a universe created by the DCMU.

I actually think DC has righted their ship since the disastrous Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman was great, Aquaman was super-fun, epic and ridiculous, Shazam was pretty solid and Joker brings their winning streak to 4 for me. Ever since they decided they weren't going to go full universe, the stand alone properties have been really entertaining and each one, completely different in tone, which as much as I dig the Marvel movies, can get a little rote, IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think DC has righted their ship since the disastrous Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman was great, Aquaman was super-fun, epic and ridiculous, Shazam was pretty solid and Joker brings their winning streak to 4 for me. Ever since they decided they weren't going to go full universe, the stand alone properties have been really entertaining and each one, completely different in tone, which as much as I dig the Marvel movies, can get a little rote, IMO.

Oh...not what I meant and I agree with those movies above. What I meant was their movies, properties (including TV) and overall their characters are a giant cluster. There is no cohesiveness. No strategy other than to put as much out there with characters as humanly possible to capitalize on those properties. The fact that Joker was a standalone mixed bag just adds to the mess.

I would have totally gotten it had this been a reboot of the character and the intention was to make him the new Joker. That's not what is happening. It's just another disjointed property in the DCCU. One of the main reasons Marvel has hit it out of the park is the interconnection to all their properties (movie/film).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...not what I meant and I agree with those movies above. What I meant was their movies, properties (including TV) and overall their characters are a giant cluster. There is no cohesiveness. No strategy other than to put as much out there with characters as humanly possible to capitalize on those properties. The fact that Joker was a standalone mixed bag just adds to the mess.

I would have totally gotten it had this been a reboot of the character and the intention was to make him the new Joker. That's not what is happening. It's just another disjointed property in the DCCU. One of the main reasons Marvel has hit it out of the park is the interconnection to all their properties (movie/film).

I think you're missing my point tho... DC has pretty much decided screw any kind of expanded universe. their attempts to do so was an unmitigated disaster (critically anyway... most of those traniwrecks still made a grip of dough) and now they're just making comic book movies that can stand on their own. Maybe down the line, they'll do a Justice League again if WW and Aquaman and especially the new Batman are a home-run, but they're not actively trying to thread a universe anymore from most reports.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're missing my point tho... DC has pretty much decided screw any kind of expanded universe. their attempts to do so was an unmitigated disaster (critically anyway... most of those traniwrecks still made a grip of dough) and now they're just making comic book movies that can stand on their own. Maybe down the line, they'll do a Justice League again if WW and Aquaman and especially the new Batman are a home-run, but they're not actively trying to thread a universe anymore from most reports.

I got exactly what you were trying to say. My point was that it's stupid. Do you think people are going to care about Phoenix playing the Joker a year from now because that's all they intend doing with it? Seems like a wasted opportunity just like all of the other disconnected pieces. It does seem like they have sort of given up but it's not for artistic or creative reasons. It's because they could never get their crap together. Now they may not even being trying if the above is correct. If you ask most fans I don't think that's what they want.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got exactly what you were trying to say. My point was that it's stupid. Do you think people are going to care about Phoenix playing the Joker a year from now because that's all they intend doing with it? Seems like a wasted opportunity just like all of the other disconnected pieces. It does seem like they have sort of given up but it's not for artistic or creative reasons. It's because they could never get their crap together. Now they may not even being trying if the above is correct. If you ask most fans I don't think that's what they want.

really? I think most fans have been really happy with the last four stand alone movies and hated the attempts they made to shoe-horn everyone in. Would people like to see DC figure their stuff out enough to make a Marvel-like Univr... eh, forget it. I don't really care.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
really? I think most fans have been really happy with the last four stand alone movies and hated the attempts they made to shoe-horn everyone in. Would people like to see DC figure their stuff out enough to make a Marvel-like Univr... eh, forget it. I don't really care.

Why do they have to me mutually exclusive? I think Marvel proved that doesn't have to be the case and yes I think if given a choice DC fans (I grew up more on DC vs. Marvel) would prefer a universe with some continuity. The problem really steps from Marvel having a plan from day one and DC going...crap...we should have done that and trying to play catch-up. If you were to put Kevin Feige in charge of the DCCU, there is no question it can be done. They need to fine their version.

You can't pretend like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman don't know each other now. That expectation I think has been set. At the end of the day I just want better films in the verse but that is a major reason Marvel has set themselves apart.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agreed. The only way he could compete with a Batman would be either (a) being criminally brilliant so as to out-think Batman or to have an army of followers. This movie alluded to the latter being possible, but within a week that army would dissipate when they realized the joker had no substance wasn’t the representation they thought he was and his lack of charisma and intelligence loses the rest.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. And Harley Quinn flick looks good too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose