Reaction score
Jojo Rabbit

Release date: October 18, 2019
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures, Disney
Director: Taika Waititi
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Taika Waititi
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Rebel Wilson, Thomasin McKenzie, Roman Griffin, Alfie Allen, Taika Waititi, Stephen Merchant

Plot Summary: In "Jojo Rabbit", writer director Taika Waititi, brings his signature style of humor and pathos to a World War II satire. The story follows an awkward young German boy (Roman Griffin) raised by a single mother (Scarlett Johansson), and whose only ally is his imaginary friend Hitler (Waititi). His naïve patriotism is tested when he meets a young girl (Thomasin McKenzie) who upends his world views, forcing him to face his biggest fears.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought it was brilliant, would highly recommend.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Heartwarming, funny, sad. Great movie - highly recommend!

His friend Yorki was a scene stealer, lol.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly recommend this movie. Funny, witty, heartwarming, heartbreaking - all in one. And a FANTASTIC job by the young actors in this film!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw today and this was really really good. Laughed a lot. Didn’t cry but was close.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One of the best movie lines ever in here, right up there with "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here--this is the war room!"

When asked what Jews are like: "They're like Nazis, only human."

This movie holds up so damned well.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was tremendous. I couldn't sleep one night and thought I would catch a few minutes to see what all the hubbub was about. Stayed until the end and was really tired the next day!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching it and really liked it.

Unlike Wes Anderson movies where I think I should like it and end up hating it

The absurdist nature of this was right up my alley, but fit with the viewpoint of a 10 year old boy, under sized and not fitting in, that is growing up without his father

I like how they started with cutting beatlemania together with Nazi propaganda and youth worship

I like how his viewpoint of ****** shifted from his imaginary good natured buddy who kept things fun and encouraging, to progressively getting more tense as Jojo learned more about the war, developed his relationship with the girl and ultimately to the end where ****** was no longer whimsy and ultimately rejected

After all, he's 10 and not a Nazi - just a boy growing through an awful situation

I liked Rockwell's character and the complexity they have him, including the lgbtq lean and his ultimate redemption to Jojo

I do wish they fleshed out the relationship between him and Jojos mother a bit more

I don't think this movie was pure satire and those who watch through that lense will miss a lot

There is satire and dark satire, but a lot of character development and arcs - even Jojo doesn't come around in a great flash - he struggles with it like a young kid would - being a mix of mind and awful to Elsa - being jealous of her relationship with her fiance Nathan, but realizing he at best can be a little brother

Understanding that despite all the talk about how different the Jews were, she passed as his sister in front of a room full of Gestapo and the Nazis took away both their families

For his talk of anti-hate, I'm not sure the movie was kind in it's portrayal of the Soviets

I also agree that his friend was a scene stealer and I love they showed him as a survivor - completely unbothered about Jojo knowing a Jew ..... That was no threat ..... Jojo started off a true believer, but his friend never was

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The Drinker just did a nice review of this and brought it back to my consciousness. I'm going to have to give it another watch. I've only seen it once so far when it came out.

Note that there are some mild spoilers in it and it strongly hints at a big event near the end of the movie.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm laid up and watching movies. Did a rewatch of this and it's really great. Movies like this and What We Do in the Shadows are what Taika should be making instead of stuff like MCU, SW, and Flash Gordon. He's so much better at these and leave the other to directors that are better as a cog in the machine. I feel like we're getting robbed on both fronts right now.