John Carter of Mars

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Just saw that this is available on NetFlix now. Haven't seen it, so I'm excited to check it out with no expectations.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved Andre Norton and Michael Moorcock as authors too.

I was hit and miss on Norton's books but it's nice to know there's another Eternal Champion fan here. It will always be Roger Zelazny for me first, but Moorcock is a close second (trailed by Glen Cook, Brian Lumley and Steven Brust).

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I liked it! From a movie perspective, having not read the books, it deserved a much better fate.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I'm familiar with pop culture from those eras, and their colloquialisms were different. Sorry, but not all dick jokes are created equal.

Are you saying Al Swearengen had it all wrong in the fake 1870's? ;)

Anywho, I was bored and found this:

rooster (n.)
1772, agent noun from roost (v.); earlier roost ****, c. 1600, in sense of "the roosting bird." Favored in the U.S. originally as a puritan alternative to **** (n.) after it had acquired the secondary sense "penis" (and compare roach).

https://www.etymonline.com/word/rooster

Which led me to this:

**** (n.3)

"penis," 1610s, but compare pillicock "penis," attested from early 14c. (as pilkoc, found in an Anglo-Irish manuscript known as "The Kildare Lyrics," in a poem beginning "Elde makiþ me," complaining of the effects of old age: Y ne mai no more of loue done; Mi pilkoc pisseþ on mi schone), also attested from 12c. as a surname (Johanne Pilecoc, 1199: Hugonem Pillok, 1256; there is also an Agnes Pillock). Also compare Middle English fide-*** "penis" (late 15c.), from fid "a peg or plug."

The male of the domestic fowl (along with the bull) has been associated in many lands since ancient times with male vigor and especially the membrum virile, but the exact connection is not clear (the **** actually has no penis) unless it be his role as fertilizer of the domestic hens, and there may be some influence from **** (n.2) in the "tap" sense.

The slang word has led to an avoidance of **** in the literal sense via the euphemistic rooster. Murray, in the original OED entry (1893) called it "The current name among the people, but, pudoris causa, not admissible in polite speech or literature; in scientific language the Latin is used" (the Latin word is penis). Avoidance of it also may have helped haystack replace haycock and vane displace weather-****. Louisa May Alcott's father, the reformer and educator Amos Bronson Alcott, was born Alcox, but changed his name.

****-teaser, ****-sucker emerge into print in 1891 in Farmer & Henley.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/****?ref=etymonline_crossreference

So, I really am not sure if anyone teased him about his name, but it seems pretty clear that the term '****' was used to refer to penis long before he came around. :shrug:

I need to watch John Carter again and see if they have any commentary on dick jokes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was hit and miss on Norton's books but it's nice to know there's another Eternal Champion fan here. It will always be Roger Zelazny for me first, but Moorcock is a close second (trailed by Glen Cook, Brian Lumley and Steven Brust).
I agree that Norton was hit or miss. But the hits were awesome. That said nothing ever compared to Elric for me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Norton was hit or miss. But the hits were awesome. That said nothing ever compared to Elric for me.

Elric was my favorite too but I did like all the other incarnations (Corum would be next favorite).

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the Elric books too. I just recently found out that Andre Norton was a woman, not that it matters. But I grew up on her books and never realized that! :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Are you saying Al Swearengen had it all wrong in the fake 1870's? ;)

Anywho, I was bored and found this:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/rooster

Which led me to this:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/****?ref=etymonline_crossreference

So, I really am not sure if anyone teased him about his name, but it seems pretty clear that the term '****' was used to refer to penis long before he came around. :shrug:

I need to watch John Carter again and see if they have any commentary on dick jokes.

Yep, you're absolutely correct that it was in common usage long ago...just not in the eras mentioned ;) Oh, sure, it's nice to snicker today at "hehe, he said More ****, hehe," like Beavis and Butthead, but they wouldn't have at that time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I loved the Elric books too. I just recently found out that Andre Norton was a woman, not that it matters. But I grew up on her books and never realized that! :)
Yeah I found that out whilst on my 5th or 6th book and was shocked. Now I look back and think it’s sad that I was shocked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave