Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favreau to Helm John Carter of Mars
Source: Variety
October 6, 2005

Paramount has hired Elf and Zathura helmer Jon Favreau to direct John Carter of Mars, the epic adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi series.

Variety says the film begins with a Civil War veteran whose retreat into a cave to avoid capture by Apache Indians takes an otherworldly turn as he's transported via time portal to the planet of Barsoom and taken prisoner by 12-foot-tall green men.

Burroughs wrote 11 volumes of Carter's adventures and the studio is hoping the film will launch a franchise. Ehren Kruger rewrote a script by Mark Protosevich, and Ain't It Cool News creator Harry Knowles is co-producing.

Robert Rodriguez (Sin City) and Kerry Conran (Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow) were each attached to direct at one point.

-------------------------------------------

Anyone ever read any of these? :shrug:

I remember my step-dad reading them when I was a lot younger, but I never have read any of them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They also made books from the comics, which I read as a kid. Actually, I think the comics were made from the books. :) I don't remember the martians being green. I do remember he was like Superman because of the weaker gravity. :)

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Yuma said:
They also made books from the comics, which I read as a kid. Actually, I think the comics were made from the books. :) I don't remember the martians being green. I do remember he was like Superman because of the weaker gravity. :)
Tharks and Baantha's

Tharks (SP??)- 4 armed, IIRC 4 eyed, green martian

Baantha- multi legged, multi eyed lion

There was also a white haired gorilla type animal but can't remember what it was called.

Thuvia!!!! Princess of Mars. Can't wait to see who will play her.

Cool... can't wait for this movie.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barsoom series:

• A Princess of Mars (1917)
  • The Gods of Mars (1918)
  • The Warlord of Mars (1919)
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
  • The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
  • The Master Mind of Mars (1928)
  • A fighting Man of Mars (1931)
  • Swords of Mars (1936)
  • Synthetic Men of Mars (1940)
  • Llana of Gathol (1948)
  • John Carter of Mars (1964)

Barsoom is what Martians called their planet...

From wikipedia:

John Carter of Mars is a 2006 film adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' first successful novel, titled A Princess of Mars. Produced by Paramount Pictures and slated to be released in 2006, few details are yet available, short of Kerry Conran likely as the film's director and Ehren Kruger as the screenwriter.

Many are watching this film's production closely as at least three attempts were made to translate this adventure series to film and all aborted. The first attempt was made as an animated feature with Burroughs' himself on board, but disagreements between the studio and the filmmakers doomed the project.

Originally this film was slated to be released under the title A Princess of Mars. However it was changed to John Carter of Mars during pre-production. Though this title is the same as the name Burrough's final novel in "Barsoom" series, the content is expected to be more or less that of the first novel.

Robert Rodriguez was originally scheduled to direct the film, and he even went so far as to hire fantasy artist Frank Frazetta as production designer. But when Rodriguez left the Directors' Guild of America (DGA) in a dispute over Sin City, the producers of John Carter of Mars let him go, citing an agreement with the DGA only to work with guild members.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
Tharks and Baantha's

Tharks (SP??)- 4 armed, IIRC 4 eyed, green martian

Baantha- multi legged, multi eyed lion

There was also a white haired gorilla type animal but can't remember what it was called.

Thuvia!!!! Princess of Mars. Can't wait to see who will play her.

Cool... can't wait for this movie.
The artwork on the books I read had Thuvia on one of the covers and she had great thighs! Grrrrrrrrrr! :D

I thought the martians had 4 arms. Didn't the white haired gorillas have a horn, too?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Yuma said:
The artwork on the books I read had Thuvia on one of the covers and she had great thighs! Grrrrrrrrrr! :D

I thought the martians had 4 arms. Didn't the white haired gorillas have a horn, too?
4 armed, 4 eyed, green martian?? :shrug:

Yep.... Thuvia was Hot. Of course all of Frazetta women are hot!!!

I pretty sure Frazetta did all the art work for E.R.B.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
4 armed, 4 eyed, green martian?? :shrug:

Yep.... Thuvia was Hot. Of course all of Frazetta women are hot!!!

I pretty sure Frazetta did all the art work for E.R.B.
I think you are right. I think it was even early Frazetta work. Before he got really famous. ;)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Favreau on John Carter of Mars
Source: Empire Online
January 3, 2006

Empire Online caught up with Zathura director Jon Favreau, who gave an update on John Carter of Mars, Paramount's epic adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi series:

"It was written by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan) close to a hundred years ago," says Favreau for the unitiated. "It’s actually been a bit of a creative well spring than influenced Star Wars a great deal and Superman can kind of be traced back to it. Basically any science fiction goes back to the grandfather, which is John Carter. It’s about a civil war veteran – a cavalry captain – who finds himself transported to Mars and finds himself in the nexus of all these warring tribes on this dying planet with diminishing resources...He also finds himself with what I guess you would call super powers. At the time it was written we didn’t understand anything about going to planets with lower gravity and so the way it was expressed was that he had superhuman strength and leaping abilities. So he’s the guy who finds himself at the end of a war that was pretty meaningless, basically, and wasteful on Earth and ends up showing up on this planet as a super warrior who can actually make a difference. So it’s a bit of a fantasy in that respect."

See, Star Wars meets Superman and goes to war. Now that's exciting. The project has been on various Hollywood drawing boards for years, "since an animated version was proposed around the time of Snow White" according to Favreau. "This thing has gone through dozens of incarnations and because of how expansive it is and the fact that there’s only one human character and most of the other characters are fifteen feet tall green martians there has never been the technology available to bring it to the screen. But now with the technology that exists (Favreau sites Peter Jackson’s King Kong as the film that proves it can be done) I’m pretty confident that we come up with something really cool."

The movie is still in the development stages, but has the potential to be enormous. “The way it stands is that we have artists working on research, we’re working on a script and we should know by the spring whether we’re going ahead or if the project goes back on the woodpile…It’s pretty big. Theoretically it could spin out into a fully fledged franchise, which is, I think, what the holy grail is for the movie studios now.”

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
My bad...

Princess of Mars is not Thuvia it is Dejah Thoris.

I am reading the 'Princess of Mars' now. I think there is a Thuvia in the series but now I can remember.

Apparently I pissed someone off by linking to that picture. Oh well.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Finished the first book and about a third of the way through the second.

There are gonna be some definate hurdles for the movie. The second book does introduce Thuvia so she is a character in the series.

I think this could be really good but because it was written so long ago alot of ERB's theories in the book seem kinda silly now.

There are 11 books in the series and they are published by Del Rey books if any one is interested.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney to Take on John Carter of Mars?
Source: TMZ.com
January 16, 2007

TMZ.com reports that Walt Disney Pictures is in talks with the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs to buy the film rights for the 11 volume "John Carter of Mars" series of books.

Two years ago, Paramount Pictures hired Jon Favreau to direct an adaptation. After that, the estate briefly negotiated with Fox and Walden Media to make the movie there, but that deal fell through as well, adds the site.

All of the previous crew members, including Favreau, are no longer on board.

:thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney to Take on John Carter of Mars?
Source: TMZ.com
January 16, 2007

TMZ.com reports that Walt Disney Pictures is in talks with the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs to buy the film rights for the 11 volume "John Carter of Mars" series of books.
Does that mean they'd animate it? That would be a little disappointing. It'd probably be good, but I was looking forward to this being a live-action, huge-budget, hollywood blockbuster-spectacular.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean they'd animate it? That would be a little disappointing. It'd probably be good, but I was looking forward to this being a live-action, huge-budget, hollywood blockbuster-spectacular.

I was thinking they'd keep it live action.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pixar Planning Three Mars Pics
Source: ERBZine
October 9, 2007

ERBZine reports that pre-production is heating up on Disney/Pixar's John Carter of Mars movie, based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi series.

"The Pixar creative team spent Tuesday morning exploring the massive Edgar Rice Burroughs archives in the ERB, Inc. offices on Ventura Blvd. Pixar's Jim Morris (vp), Andrew Stanton (director), Mark Andrews (script) discussed the 'John Carter of Mars' film project with Burroughs representatives, Danton Burroughs, Sandra Galfas and Jim Sullos," says the site.

The site adds, "All six members at the meeting expressed a deep commitment to the project, acknowledging that they had been inspired by Burroughs' creations from a very early age. This is evidenced in the excitement held for the John Carter property and the plans for a film trilogy faithful to the Burroughs books."

The projected release year for the first film is 2012.

The film begins with a Civil War veteran whose retreat into a cave to avoid capture by Apache Indians takes an otherworldly turn as he's transported via time portal to the planet of Barsoom and taken prisoner by 12-foot-tall green men.

Burroughs wrote 11 volumes of Carter's adventures and Disney is hoping the film will launch a franchise.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
So this is going to be a all CGI movie! I'm guessing since Pixar is involved...

I hope they take artistic cues from Frank Frazetta!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I have a new crush on Lynn Collins! Smokin!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is an unbelievably sexy picture of her...and yet she is 20x sexier in the movie itself. Unreal!

Had a pair of tickets to an advanced showing and went with a friend. Really good movie...and of course, really crap at following anything remotely related to the actual story. Yes, he was John Carter, and yes, it took place on Mars. The character names were the same, as were the civilizations. The religious mumbo jumbo was present. Other than that, pretty much nothing was right.

Eh, that's okay. I was very much expecting that. I just wanted it to be a damn good movie, and I was not disappointed.

P.S. Julius Caesar and Marc Antony were in it as well. Oh, and so was 'McNutty'. Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave