Jimmy G and Eastern Illinois University (my alma mater) fun facts

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eastern Illinois University has quite the football tradition and has some ties to Cardinal football. Here are some fun EIU football facts:

1. EIU is the only college that boasts a starting NFL quarterback (Jimmy G and Tony Romo), head coach (Sean Payton) and GM (Bears GM Ryan Pace) in the same season.

2. EIU is also the alma mater of 2 time Super Bowl champ Mike Shanahan.

3. 2 of my friends from Canton, Illinois were good friends of Mike Shanahan and one was the QB of the mid 70's EIU team with Shanahan as the QB coach.

4. Jimmy G was originally recruited to EIU as a linebacker. Those reports of him not being tough are plain BS.

5. EIU was the training camp home of the St. Louis Cardinals. The Big Red used to have a middle backer named Niko Noga. I made the mistake of asking Niko to sign my hat when he was overhead pressing a frightening amount of weight. He simply growled at me and I got the heck out of there!

I am all in on the Cards bringing in Jimmy. He was awesome at Eastern with the quickest release I have ever seen. He will be a star and I hope it's with the Cardinals!!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great post, Holian! I had forgotten that EIU was the training camp of the St. Louis Cardinals. Wow, what a story line it would be if the Cardinals find a way to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Because I'm a nice guy, and because I was already working on some digital graphics when I read this post, here's the new (since 2015) athletics primary mark for EIU:

You must be registered for see images

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Eastern Illinois University has quite the football tradition and has some ties to Cardinal football. Here are some fun EIU football facts:

1. EIU is the only college that boasts a starting NFL quarterback (Jimmy G and Tony Romo), head coach (Sean Payton) and GM (Bears GM Ryan Pace) in the same season.

3. 2 of my friends from Canton, Illinois were good friends of Mike Shanahan and one was the QB of the mid 70's EIU team with Shanahan as the QB coach.

4. Jimmy G was originally recruited to EIU as a linebacker. Those reports of him not being tough are plain BS.

5. EIU was the training camp home of the St. Louis Cardinals. The Big Red used to have a middle backer named Niko Noga. I made the mistake of asking Niko to sign my hat when he was overhead pressing a frightening amount of weight. He simply growled at me and I got the heck out of there!

I am all in on the Cards bringing in Jimmy. He was awesome at Eastern with the quickest release I have ever seen. He will be a star and I hope it's with the Cardinals!!

You forgot NFL coach Brad Childress

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Not happening. Cleveland or he stays in Boston.
Actually I think Shannahan will be all over him in San Fran! I hope not because I think the kids good & could possibly give Big Red fits for years if they retool that WR corps

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I have lived here most of my life. Niko and Peter use to go into the fieldhouse after practice and lift. Everyone else was tired and those two beasts would keep going. Niko blew his snot at me once after I asked him for an autograph. I was a kid and probably asked them for an autograph everyday. Those were great days.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Not happening. Cleveland or he stays in Boston.

Chicago is the front runner right now with teams like Cleveland and SF. A team I heard is New Orleans too. The Payton EIU connection Brees gone after this year. NO would keep him on his rookie deal next year Brees walks they tag jimmy in 2018 then work on extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There's talk of an extension for Brady in the works, which would mean Jimmy will be made available at the right price. That said, is his limited sample size worth the gamble? Considering the Kolb situation, I could see some hesitation. It is very unlikely he goes to Arizona.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
There's talk of an extension for Brady in the works, which would mean Jimmy will be made available at the right price. That said, is his limited sample size worth the gamble? Considering the Kolb situation, I could see some hesitation. It is very unlikely he goes to Arizona.

What's the difference between the sample size of Watson and jimmy g? The difference is you are using a first on Watson and only a 2nd and 4th or so on jimmy

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What's the difference between the sample size of Watson and jimmy g? The difference is you are using a first on Watson and only a 2nd and 4th or so on jimmy

The market for Jimmy will be higher than that. He'll command a first round pick at least. There will be a number of teams who'll get into a bidding war. Also, don't be surprised if the Patriots' value of Jimmy isn't met that New England keeps him.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The market for Jimmy will be higher than that. He'll command a first round pick at least. There will be a number of teams who'll get into a bidding war. Also, don't be surprised if the Patriots' value of Jimmy isn't met that New England keeps him.

I guarantee a first won't be involved closest it will get is 2 2nds from Cleveland

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chicago is the front runner right now with teams like Cleveland and SF. A team I heard is New Orleans too. The Payton EIU connection Brees gone after this year. NO would keep him on his rookie deal next year Brees walks they tag jimmy in 2018 then work on extension.

The Bears GM went to EIU.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jimmy has excellent feet.

You must be registered for see images attach

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, he gets BLASTED after the throw in 2 of those. Makes me nervous considering he ended up injured after 3 starts...

Reaction score
Jimmy G is going to be a star at QB. Too bad it will probably be on another team. I wanted him in the draft & I want him now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose