Jesse Perry-Good Get For Miller!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I understand we need bodies especially in the frontcourt, but I can't remember the last junior college kid that turned out to be anything more than a role player in college hoops. Time will tell.

OP
OP
O

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
The Cats have had some nice JC guys, rarely stars, but solid, solid players. Ben Davis, Bennett Davison, Tom Tolbert. If Perry can be on par with those guys that's all we need. ;)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Good get I guess but this pretty much precludes us from getting any of these high upside guards everyone has been talking about ad nauseum?

Also wasn't there another big we were targeting on the East Coast who recently started getting love from alot of other colleges? Does this mean we are on the outs with him as well?

I am hoping some of the dead weight on the end of the roster starts to take off so we can keep room for the players who may actually be able to contribute.

OP
OP
O

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Miller says he'd like a 4 or 5 man class. With the loss of the 1 scholly due to the ncca violation, that means at least 2 current players have to leave...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Horne is gone, so too is Shumpert and probably Lavender from what I understand. Jacobsen will holf on for one more year then move on after he graduates. We'll have the scholarships.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D Wade was a Juco but it's been awhile. UCLA tried to get in on Perry late but I never knew anything about him beyond he was a teammate of Lazeric Jones and is apparently a good shooter.

Apparently lots of schools are looking at juco's this year I suspect 2010 just turned out to be much weaker than people expected?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D Wade was a Juco but it's been awhile. UCLA tried to get in on Perry late but I never knew anything about him beyond he was a teammate of Lazeric Jones and is apparently a good shooter.

Apparently lots of schools are looking at juco's this year I suspect 2010 just turned out to be much weaker than people expected?

Also Shawn Marion was a JUCO but he is older than Wade. Larry Johnson was probably the most decorated JUCO to play in college and became the #1 overall pick and had a nice NBA career before injuries cut it short. Shawn Kemp was a JUCO who went straight to the NBA.

HooverDam

Reaction score
For whatever its worth (probably not much) this site ranks Perry as the top JUCO guy in Illinois, with ASU commit Brandon Dunson #2:

http://midstatehoops.com/v5/?page_id=4302

ASU is also after PF Dwight McCombs, #4 on the list. It is a bit disconcerting to see Pac 10 schools relying so heavily on JUCOs but after this year I suppose its understandable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
For whatever its worth (probably not much) this site ranks Perry as the top JUCO guy in Illinois, with ASU commit Brandon Dunson #2:

http://midstatehoops.com/v5/?page_id=4302

ASU is also after PF Dwight McCombs, #4 on the list. It is a bit disconcerting to see Pac 10 schools relying so heavily on JUCOs but after this year I suppose its understandable.
You can actually tie it to recent recruiting of certain programs, Washington for example did very well in 2008 and isn't sniffing around these kids who are all role players at best. ASU bombed it's 2008 class, UCLA and UA didn't get much that year either so here you go.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this explains why UCLA tried to get in on Perry late. With Moser confirming today he's leaving UCLA. Clearly Howland knew it was a possibility and tried to get Perry but was too late.

What a crazy season.

HooverDam

Reaction score
10 players on the first team? Technically shouldn't the second 5 be on the second team or does a whole roster count for individual teams? That's weird.

The Pac 10 recently switched and does it the same way, I agree its weird/silly. Just do 5 guys per team and have a 1st-3rd team and maybe an Honorable Mention team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess this explains why UCLA tried to get in on Perry late. With Moser confirming today he's leaving UCLA. Clearly Howland knew it was a possibility and tried to get Perry but was too late.

What a crazy season.

Guy should have stuck with his original commitment to UA, karma is a you know what. Should have saw the writing on the wall when UCLA got Honeycutt & Lane. Anyway, Moser is not the player everyone thought he was going to be, granted he hasn't gotten much burn. He is not strong enough to play the post but doesn't have the range to play the 2.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Guy should have stuck with his original commitment to UA, karma is a you know what. Should have saw the writing on the wall when UCLA got Honeycutt & Lane. Anyway, Moser is not the player everyone thought he was going to be, granted he hasn't gotten much burn. He is not strong enough to play the post but doesn't have the range to play the 2.
I'm happy where Arizona is, the recruiting class that never was turned out to be somewhat underwhelming. Gaddy was probably the biggest freshman disappointment in the Pac-10.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish he's stuck at UCLA but to be honest I was stunned how bad Moser was this year. He was an absolute turnover machine, very poor shooting mechanics and yet more than half his shots were 3 pointers and he made 9% of them (1-11). Got some athletic ability but as you said not strong enough to play the 4 and lacked the perimeter skills to play the 3. Remember UCLA supposedly recruited him to play some 2, major misevaluation from what I saw.

It's been awhile since a highly recruited kid had the "yips" like that for UCLA, just never looked like he belonged.

I'd say it worked for UA, lose Moser but get Derrick Williams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave