Jelly question

AZZenny

Reaction score
I have a zinfandel grape vine that produces bumper crops of tasty grapes -- so far I just make jelly, which is better than any grape jelly you've ever had. This year I was out of the country when the main crop ripened, so birds got 'em.

Now, however, the vine has a several dozen small clusters, which if they would ripen together, would be enough for a small batch of jelly.

But nooo, some are ripe, some are half-ripe, and some are totally green.

Anybody know (or have a logical perspective) if freezing the ripe fruit until they are all ripened would interfere with the final jelly taste/texture? Or maybe freeze the fresh juice in small batches until I have enough? Grapes can be weird.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't *think* freezing them would affect your final outcome, but at this point, not sure how much of a choice you have, anyway.

The only thing I DO know for sure is that I'm REALLY jealous! :)

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just not sure whether to barely poach them first to stop enzymes, or just freeze raw. (Pressing tiny batches sounds like many messy kitchens instead of one.) I think since it wouldn't need to be frozen for more than a couple weeks at most, it should be OK raw. If not, we'll learn something.

This year's jelly is all spoken for, assuming I get any -- my daughter says it makes the best glaze topping for fancy desserts that have like strawberries or raspberries arranged on top, and I love it with rich breads like challah or croissants. If I am able to harvest the usual over-abundance next year, Linda, you're welcome to a jar.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just not sure whether to barely poach them first to stop enzymes, or just freeze raw. (Pressing tiny batches sounds like many messy kitchens instead of one.) I think since it wouldn't need to be frozen for more than a couple weeks at most, it should be OK raw. If not, we'll learn something.

This year's jelly is all spoken for, assuming I get any -- my daughter says it makes the best glaze topping for fancy desserts that have like strawberries or raspberries arranged on top, and I love it with rich breads like challah or croissants. If I am able to harvest the usual over-abundance next year, Linda, you're welcome to a jar.
:) I'm positively giddy! :) I'm with you--I'd eat it with a rich bread. Thanks, and good luck next year! :D

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's too late now, but I probably would have frozen the juice in small batches. Yeah. it's a pain in the arse, but it sounds like the rewards would be great!

On a side note, I am thinking about making some prickly pear jelly. I would have to purchase the fruit though. Any suggestions as to where to get it?