Jazz @ Suns Wednesday game thread 4-7-2021

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Right? It’s crazy to me that a head coach’s assistance don’t pick up on this and say something (head coach being too busy with everything all at once).

mjb21aztd likes this.
  2. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Chris Paul was everything we needed last night. My worry is that when he plays that many minutes over 2 or 3 playoff series, he will miss time. It's almost a lock IMO.

DA was great. Effort, hustle, defense. Everything we need. Great game from him and it shows that he CAN be that guy when he's motivated.

Holy crap that was fun. And I think I may have a stroke in the playoffs. 43 year old me can't handle the things I went through in 1993 and the mid 2000's.

mjb21aztd likes this.
  3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

On Booker: IIRC he was 9 of 16 at one point before he started missing everything. Then he made a few big shots in the OT but in-between he couldn't buy a hoop.

As for your Ayton theory: To an extent, everyone tends to play better when they are part of the offense but for the most part I disagree with your Ayton conclusions. First off, he played good defense from the start last night yet he only had a couple of attempts well into the first half and only 8 points total by the time the 2nd half started. Secondly, I can't tell you how many times we've started off poorly because we've wasted half a dozen or more possessions trying to get DA going out of the gate.

Some of his worst performances have come when we've fed him early and he's missed or fumbled away his opportunities. He does seem to be a little more engaged if he's involved early but only if he succeeds. And to me, it actually shows up more in his offense than his defense. But, again, the key isn't the extra shot attempts, it has to do with him succeeding on those chances.

4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I seem to recall at least 4 or 5 possessions where they tried to go to him and our defense was up in his face. He immediately gave up the ball passing it around. I think part of it was Bogdanvich not being aggressive.

5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Nobody has really mentioned that Joe Ingles is one of the most efficient players in the league (I think he's #1 in the league at that stat) and he was virtually non-existent last night.

mjb21aztd and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  6. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Yeah, like I said streaky

Again, like I said he ended up with 15 shot attempts for the game, he had a good game. Doesn't really matter how early he gets most of them. I believe he had 3 shot attempts early in game (jumper, layup and missed 3pt attempt) so he was engaged early.

I saw a bunch of bad passes that were bobbled or thrown away. Example, the possession where Booker got caught in paint and he tried to kick out to Bridges and he couldn't handle it and it went out of bounds. Some of the issue may be Ayton's hands but I seen plenty of times where players get caught in air and make bad passes or just plain miss guys. Point is it's not just Ayton, I haven't seen him miss many alley oops, if fact he had a nice catch and lay in from Paul lob early in game that he had to adjust for.

Ayton needs to be involved otherwise he becomes passive and seems okay to just let offense go through others. I know he needs to be more assertive and less soft, I agree he and he alone needs to fix that.

7. Proximo

Proximo Registered

They did not get much out of Clarkson either.

Which is why this was not a typical Jazz game.

Suns would have to play better than they did to beat them in a series.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

It’s been 10+ years. You’re just emotionally outta shape as a basketball fan. This season is building your endurance. You’ll be fine come playoffs. That’s what I’m telling myself.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

But for every one of the jazz that didn’t play well we had a bridges, crowder, saric that didn’t play well and a Nader completely out. It was a tough game for both sides.

10. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Did those paul clipp teams ever have a good shooter as book? Just curious

11. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

JJ Reddick.

mjb21aztd likes this.
  12. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Not right up to book but he was a good shooter

Hope paul has poff success with suns i just know paul gets heat from sometimes not showing in poffs

13. Chaplin

But we didn't have Bridges and Crowder either, so it evens out.

14. Chaplin

Borg

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Its better if you say "as good a scorer as Book."

mjb21aztd likes this.