Jazz @ Suns Monday 10-28-19 game thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting +/- on this game. Booker with a team worst -15. TJohnson with a team best +15.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Monty can coach man...... And our guys are finally being put in situations that force them to learn and grow. It's hard to do either in a 30 point blowout... or on the heels of your 13th straight loss.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty can coach man...... And our guys are finally being put in situations that force them to learn and grow. It's hard to do either in a 30 point blowout... or on the heels of your 13th straight loss.
I do think Monty can coach, but the roster additions matter.

I have doubts Monty could have gotten TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, and company to play D like this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have doubts Monty could have gotten TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, and company to play D like this.

I agree but OTOH, I doubt Monty would have given them much court time if they didn't play like he wanted them to whereas Igor probably lacked either the personality or the power to make that happen. And yes, these are not the same players that IK had to deal with. We have an actual NBA roster now, we hadn't had that in a while.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the reported reason why the clock couldn't be reviewed. It wasn't down to 0.0 seconds?

This is from a Duane Rankin article at azcentral:

"The way they explained it, if I'm correctly getting it straight, is they can only look at it if the clock goes all the way down and there's another option, but that was the one way they can go back over there and look at it," Williams said.

All the way down to 0.0 seconds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether it's the shot clock or game clock," Williams said. "If it goes down to zero, then they can go and check it because there's human error. The timing, the whistle or the person at the (scorers) table. They take that into account and sometimes they'll go back over there and look at the film and try to get it right. It didn't go down to zero. So that's probably what hurt us. It is what it is."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can challenge the foul to get the clock looked at and it's a tough challenge if you only have one timeout," Williams said. "If you lose it, you put your team in a tough spot. So it wasn't the officials' fault. It's just a gray area that because of the situation, it was like a perfect storm of gray."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...hy-clock-wasnt-reviewed-loss-jazz/2501636001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likewise I'm still confused why the clock couldn't be reviewed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Fire the home town clock manager! Are we sure the Utah time keeper wasn't flown in?!

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

This is actually an interesting debate I've been contemplating. What would Monty have done with those guys? Is it the players or him?

The fact that he's got Booker, Kaminsky, and Dario playing D tells me that he gets players to fully buy in. If he can get them playing D, I'm confident he could have gotten TJ to buy in, and he would have done wonders for Josh. Problem with Josh is that he's far too immature to be in the pros and can't shoot. That's were he wouldn't have fit in at all on this team. Monty convinced James Jones that he could get shooters to play D (as opposed to performing the impossible task of getting Defenders to be able to shoot). That's the true master stroke here.

Plus they are moving the ball well, which points to great coaching. There's only one cul de sac on the team, that's Oubre. But it kinda makes sense given how he energizes the team. TJ was a dead end too. Watching him pass the ball reminded me of Marion trying to play one on one... cringe worthy stuff. Not good to have too many of those on the team.

And they're doing with cast offs from other teams. Don't get me wrong, I think these players deserve a ton of credit, but Monty is the talk of the town at this point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Monty might have had trouble with both TJ and JJ. TJ had been here how long and outlasted how many coaches? He was here for Hornacek, Earl, Triano, and Igor. I doubt he would have bought into what Monty was selling. With Jackson though I'm not sure if he could have gotten him to buy in. Jackson seemed a bit miffed that he'd been through so many coaches and even referenced the GM turnover before so I can't imagine he would have bought into Monty right away either.

The more I think about it the more I can see why James Jones had to move them. Having 2 guys with tenure year not buying in with the newbies could have torpedoed everything. Kind of like Ariza being brought in as a veteran leader not buying into Kokoskov's gameplan helped tank last season. Letting Chandler go didn't help in that regard either. The turnover this year was necessary.

Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Okobo are the only holdovers from opening day last year and Oubre and Tyler Johnson were both committed to helping turn this ship around so keeping them made sense as well. We know Booker wants to win, him buying in isn't surprising and the same goes for Ayton and Bridges, to a lesser degree. They hadn't been tainted yet either. Okobo is just still here and by all accounts a good guy, he wasn't making or breaking anything as a 2nd round pick on the last guaranteed year of his minimal contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose