• Utah

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • LAC

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't put any stock in subjective "power rankings," but I do think that some of the purely analytical team strength ratings have value. 538's feels over-controlled to me and doesn't have much of a track record, but Jeff Sagarin of USA Today has been doing this forever with a less fussy approach. Here's his top six as of Monday morning:

Jazz
Suns
Clippers
76ers
Bucks
Nets

(Obviously those are playing strengths, not championship probabilities, since the Nuggets' championship probability is zero.)

Sagarin also has a rating that's weighted more toward recent play, and the list there is

Suns
76ers
Bucks
Nets
Clippers
Jazz

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Utah. Simply for one reason. If the Suns are good enough to get to the finals I don't want there to be any doubt we went through the best teams in the West to get there.

I know there will be doubters still but if you defeated the ex-champes, the MVP of the league and the team that holds the best record?

Gives me a ton of ammo to tell the doubters to STHU.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want Utah. Simply for one reason. If the Suns are good enough to get to the finals I don't want there to be any doubt we went through the best teams in the West to get there.

I know there will be doubters still but if you defeated the ex-champes, the MVP of the league and the team that holds the best record?

Gives me a ton of ammo to tell the doubters to STHU.
Meh, you win a championship you win a championship. Few fans remember the circumstances that lead you there. The fans of the team enjoy the ride regardless of who they play or how they won and everyone else is just jealous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, you win a championship you win a championship. Few fans remember the circumstances that lead you there. The fans of the team enjoy the ride regardless of who they play or how they won and everyone else is just jealous.

Don't get me wrong. I won't buy into any of the garbage. I am talking about the people in the media or other fans who are going to go out of their way to point out circumstances. It will happen 100%. If you want to be the best you play the best and let the chips fall.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
True, I would bet most people outside of the fan base don't remember. However, inside the fan base we can provide you intricate details... especially in a championship starved Arizona fan base.

For example, I'll never forget UofA's 1997 men's basketball championship run where they beat 3 #1's. I bet many on this board could name all 3 without looking. I can name all 6 teams we played without looking (I can also name many of the first round exit opponent's we suffered through... ugh, thank goodness for '97).

I would also bet many of us can name every team the Suns played in the '93 run even though we didn't win.

I'm hoping that in the future we can all still name who we beat in this year's championship run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
True, I would bet most people outside of the fan base don't remember. However, inside the fan base we can provide you intricate details... especially in a championship starved Arizona fan base.

For example, I'll never forget UofA's 1997 men's basketball championship run where they beat 3 #1's. I bet many on this board could name all 3 without looking. I can name all 6 teams we played without looking (I can also name many of the first round exit opponent's we suffered through... ugh, thank goodness for '97).

I would also bet many of us can name every team the Suns played in the '93 run even though we didn't win.

I'm hoping that in the future we can all still name who we beat in this year's championship run.
True. And it’s fun for recollection. But it wouldn’t impact my enjoyment of the run or my recollection.

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No team is looking forward to playing the Suns right now.

Actually just saw Marcellus Wiley who is a Clippers fan very happy they will get to play the Suns calling it an easier series once they finish off the Jazz. Of course I think he is way over confident about the Clippers beating the Jazz as well.

Everyone is still understimating the Suns it appears.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually just saw Marcellus Wiley who is a Clippers fan very happy they will get to play the Suns calling it an easier series once they finish off the Jazz. Of course I think he is way over confident about the Clippers beating the Jazz as well.

Everyone is still understimating the Suns it appears.

Let 'em underestimate us and we'll just keep busting ass.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Yep. Toronto is probably the most recent exhibit A. Healthy teams have an advantage, and there have been a lot of injuries to star players this year. Brooklyn has quickly become a mess. The Suns beat the Lakers without Davis, and then Denver without Murray. You play who you play and move on. Fortunately CP3's shoulder issue hasn't been more severe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netsnjkidd