James Jones 2020-21 GM of the Year

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well deserved.

I have to admit, I was a huge doubter as recently as last summer.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was it unofficial at the start of the game? :)

Well deserved. The power of James Jones. Dude is a winner. Loved watching him shoot the ball back in the day off those Nash kick outs..

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Was there ever a doubt? Possibly after the Monty snub. That double win would have been great Monty will have more chances.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Monty snub doesn't really bother me. He did win the COY award from his peers, which probably means more than the award voted by the press. His peers recognize the job he did. If I had to choose 1, I'd take the award from my peers.

Would have been nice to see Monty get both but eh, he's still going this postseason and showing the press they were wrong. I'm sure that helped spark at least one of the ass whoopings we deflivered this postseason as well, so I wouldn't change a thing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Was there ever a doubt? Possibly after the Monty snub. That double win would have been great Monty will have more chances.
Monty didn't get it in large part for the reason JJ won his. The media gives a lot of credit to CP3 for this Suns team and rightfully so, but Monty has been huge in this turnaround as well.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Monty didn't get it in large part for the reason JJ won his. The media gives a lot of credit to CP3 for this Suns team and rightfully so, but Monty has been huge in this turnaround as well.
Today was a good example. We are still good without CP3 , but we are better with him.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think it is deserved but I kind of wish he hadn't won it. These awards are nice but winning the championship will be nicer.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Disagree. The dude gave away TJ warren and passed on Haliburton when he dropped and they needed a PGOF badly.instead reached for Jaylen smith at non position of need who hasnt sniffed the hardwood.

how can you be GM of year after completely botching the draft.

not being a downer, i think monty should have been coach of year and CP should have been mvp, but not this one…

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Disagree. The dude gave away TJ warren and passed on Haliburton when he dropped and they needed a PGOF badly.instead reached for Jaylen smith at non position of need who hasnt sniffed the hardwood.

not being a downer, i think monty should have been coach of year and CP should have been mvp, but not this one…
You do know that James Jones was responsible for getting who you think should be MVP. And he hired Monty Williams, who you think should be COY.

AZ Native

Reaction score
I always look to the bright side. Where were we last year when has JJ taken us this year?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He did give away Warren but JJ valued the cap space TJ represented more than TJ himself, and with how he used that I'd say he was right.. He turned that space into Rubio and Rubio into CP3. So while the Warren deal was bad in that moment, it didn't hurt this team. We were much better without him and already had replacements lined up. That was also the 2019 draft, before last season.

Who says we needed a PG at this years draft? We had CP3, Cam Payne, and Jevon Carter. That's 3 deep at PG, plus Book who is capable of filling in occasionally. Halliburton would have been nice but he was a luxury and not a necessity.

We needed depth in our frontcourt and he drafted a player who displayed a skill set that should pair wonderfully with Ayton. That player didn't have a summer league, a full training camp, and suffered Covid early on, which put him way behind the 8 ball. Draft picks shouldn't be graded solely on their first year. Smith isn't a bust. He didn't get time because the team that was built by JJ was deep enough that we didn't need to rush a rookie out there before they were ready.

That's one pick out of 15 other players though that didn't turn out to be a good or great move this season. All other deals he made were solid. The jury is still out on Stix as well. If he sucks at the end of next season then fine, it was a bad pick, but right now its too early to say.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Outside of 4 games in the bubble, tj Warren has shown why we had to give him away. He's always hurt. He played 4 games this year.

The draft is long term. We have no idea how Stix is going to develop

He got cp3, Crowder, and Craig for basically nothing

No he earned the damn award

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ha. This is such a McDonough way to look at it. What team did he start with and what did he end with, not just in personnel but also performance.

it is the result that matters. What does it matter if he conserves value and wins every draft. WE ARE IN THE WC Finals and have a truly legit shot at winning it all. None of the rest matters.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn’t Jalen Smith come before crowder, kaminsky and Dario resigning?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Jalen Smith come before crowder, kaminsky and Dario resigning?

Yes, but Dario was a restricted free agent and we had the ability to match any offer he received. So he was resigned after Jalen was drafted but we there wasn't much risk of losing him.

All 3 were signings made by Jones as well. So regardless of order, he was the guy who brought them all in.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry my response was to this ^^^

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You do know that James Jones was responsible for getting who you think should be MVP. And he hired Monty Williams, who you think should be COY.

True. I guess it would depend for me what the other options were for the award. I just cant look past giving away a 20ppg scorer and botching the most recent draft..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose