Jackson, Melton dumped

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the Suns trade him for a younger SG that makes around $7 million a year?
Maybe to a team that has too many guards and would like to shed some salary.

There's gotta be a non-athletic, high character guard out there somewhere somebody wants to unload.

Supposedly the money saved if the Suns waive Korver will allow them to fit Rubio's contract under the cap.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I liked him for the Suns if we had #1 but I wasn’t in Slin’s category of worship. There were posters who had concerns of him not winning anything in college and a lot of us wrote it off to poor coaching and talent. I think you can go back now and determine there were definitely some valid leadership and toughness knocks.
I spent a great deal of time on film with this dreadful draft. Here's what I thought at the time:

Fultz showed no heart.
Ball showed no balls.
JJ was ALL hustle.
Tatum was ALL scoring.
Fox was a good mix of scoring and D but was a small Off Guard.

I like guys that show heart on the court and our 2 way players, which is why I had JJ 1st and Fox 2nd.

And to honestly try to avoid being a revisionist historian on myself, here's one I posted in July right after the draft.

...And just to stick my neck out further, I didn't have either Ball or Fultz in my top 5 prospects: They were firmly behind Jackson, Fox, Isaac, Smith, and Collins. I didn't like what I saw when I watched those two play. Actually there was a lot I didn't like.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That would require a trade. I'm not sure if another team wants to pay his $7,500,000 salary.

The Suns can waive him for $3.4 million.
Maybe if another team wants to get him enough to beat out the others who would want him. If he already knows where he wants to go and the other team knows he is coming there, we get squat!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe if another team wants to get him enough to beat out the others who would want him. If he already knows where he wants to go and the other team knows he is coming there, we get squat!

I think it's likely to be squat. :p

It would have been nice if the Suns could find a way to keep him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There's a chance the Lakers might try to make a play for him. Apparently Memphis isn't buying out Iguodala like was originally reported. Word is that the Rockets are trying to work a trade for Iggy now so Memphis might get something for him. The Suns might be able to use that to their advantage because if Kawhi doesn't go to LA and they also miss out on Iggy, they could use a vet like Korver.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem is Korver is not really worth his contract ($7.5M) this year. He is older, struggled a little last year (worst 3-pct since 2007), and is a total liability on defense. If we are looking to trade him, then we most definitely take something back. I doubt someone is giving picks for the right to pay Korver, imo. That means let go of someone else to sign the Rubio contract. Perhaps some would prefer that we didn't sign the Rubio contract... ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem is Korver is not really worth his contract ($7.5M) this year. He is older, struggled a little last year (worst 3-pct since 2007), and is a total liability on defense. If we are looking to trade him, then we most definitely take something back. That means let go of someone else to sign the Rubio contract. Perhaps some would prefer that... ;)
Last game I saw him play, the team opposite just tossed the ball to whoever he was guarding. He had to sit back down after being in the game just a couple minutes because he had to grab as guys were driving past him to the hole. When he is hot, he can change a game if he is hitting the three.