It's Official

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since Paramount went HD DVD exclusive Blu Ray sites and executives have been floating rumors that Warner would be going Blu exclusive at CES next month.

I wonder why they would wait till CES? Dont make any sense to me. Do you know where I can find which companies produce both?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe that Warner is one of the few big studios which produce both. A great site is highdefdigest.com. Last year Blu fan boys were saying the same about Universal...then Paramount smacked them in the face hard.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since Blu-ray movies are outselling HD-DVD 2-1 it's hardly hype by Sony. Not including the PS3 in player sales is ridiculous, you cannot assume people aren't buying them for a game machine AND a Blu-Ray player. Movie sales suggest otherwise. I bought mine for both, I highly doubt I'm alone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Blu-ray movies are outselling HD-DVD 2-1 it's hardly hype by Sony. Not including the PS3 in player sales is ridiculous, you cannot assume people aren't buying them for a game machine AND a Blu-Ray player. Movie sales suggest otherwise. I bought mine for both, I highly doubt I'm alone.

The stats are telling us differently. If there are 20x more Bluray players than HDDVD players right now when including PS3 sales, but they are only outselling HDDVD 2.5:1, that tells you that the vast majority of PS3 owners are not using the PS3 as a Bluray player.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The stats are telling us differently. If there are 20x more Bluray players than HDDVD players right now when including PS3 sales, but they are only outselling HDDVD 2.5:1, that tells you that the vast majority of PS3 owners are not using the PS3 as a Bluray player.

Or since dedicated HD-DVD players have outsold dedicated Blu-Ray players, one would think they should also lead in movie sales. So if the vast majority of PS3 owners do not use it as a machine, you must conclude that BR owners buy more movies.

There's no way to know how much the PS3 impacts the movie market, but even if it's just a fraction of the owners, it still has an impact that cannot be ignored. Someone is buying BR movies at a rate of 2.5:1 over HD-DVD, does it really matter who?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or since dedicated HD-DVD players have outsold dedicated Blu-Ray players, one would think they should also lead in movie sales. So if the vast majority of PS3 owners do not use it as a machine, you must conclude that BR owners buy more movies.

There's no way to know how much the PS3 impacts the movie market, but even if it's just a fraction of the owners, it still has an impact that cannot be ignored. Someone is buying BR movies at a rate of 2.5:1 over HD-DVD, does it really matter who?

No. You don't have to conclude that. They say that the average Bluray owner buys half as many discs as an HDDVD owner. There are more Bluray owners, even when you count the minority of Bluray/PS3 users. No one is ignoring it. Hell, the PS3 is my Bluray player and has been for months now. In fact, I know of users that use the PS3 as only a Bluray player, and haven't played any games on it. These users are few and far between, but I personally know quite a few.

I think that there is a way to know how PS3's affect the movie market. We are watching it first hand.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since Paramount went HD DVD exclusive Blu Ray sites and executives have been floating rumors that Warner would be going Blu exclusive at CES next month.

Actually no that isn't quite it.

The rumor was they were going to watch disk sales over Xmas and drop the loser

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not big on the combo players. Plus - you can pick up the Panny DMP-30 for the Blu-ray and Toshiba for the HD and still pay less than you would for the combo. I think that is a better route if you want both because then you end up with two very solid stand-alone players.

shawn

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Panny is selling for $414 at Amazon right now - that's a pretty decent price for a solid blu-ray player. :)

shawn

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just ordered the: LG - 16x Internal Blu-ray Disc/ HD DVD Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
LINK, it's sold out twice so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose