It Wouldn’t Shock Me

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If we don’t see much less of the starting team in the preseason than we typically do. The combination of a shortened number of games (3), Hopkins‘ suspension and the challenging schedule likely trigger a conservative strategy. I suspect the main goal will be survival early on. Then they figure to get more aggressive targeting just getting into the playoffs and hoping to get hot then.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems to be the trend. Us old guys remember the play little, play a little more, play into the second half, play none version of the four game pre season. At least for starters. Those days appear to over for everyone. Started a few years ago, feels like.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basically we have the same offense so there is not much need to take lot of reps and risking injuries but unfortunately the defense is a very question mark so it's difficult to overcome situations if the offense looks a bit rusty

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get some live reps for the first team, at least. Who here wants to go into the season with a QB who has faced exactly zero players trying to take him down? I sure don't.
Totally agree

First team needs reps to be sharp to start the season

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure are QB has faced players trying to take him down. Too many I would think........................

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You need to get some live reps for the first team, at least. Who here wants to go into the season with a QB who has faced exactly zero players trying to take him down? I sure don't.
I agree with you, but in today's NFL, that's just not going to happen. Outside of 1st year QB's, I sincerely doubt if we see any starting QB's play in the preseason. I'm sure that teams feel that it's all relative if no one is getting any live reps in the preseason. I still recall us getting like 3-4 OL penalties on our 1st drive last year against Tennessee in the opener. Just brutal to watch, but we did manage to overcome the penalties & scored anyways.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this certainly seems right

but, Kyler played all of 9 snaps last preseason and it didnt seem to impact him in the season opener

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They need some reps for sure. I understand not playing the starters for fear of them getting hurt. That being said, any player can get hurt on any play, whether it be taken a step in practice or some freak accident. It's a gamble during practice, games or even in the weight room. In today's environment, it wouldn't even shock me to see a player getting hurt playing video games lol. I wanna see the starters play at least 1 quarter or half.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but in today's NFL, that's just not going to happen. Outside of 1st year QB's, I sincerely doubt if we see any starting QB's play in the preseason. I'm sure that teams feel that it's all relative if no one is getting any live reps in the preseason. I still recall us getting like 3-4 OL penalties on our 1st drive last year against Tennessee in the opener. Just brutal to watch, but we did manage to overcome the penalties & scored anyways.
Friendly wager?

I bet that Kyler will play at least a series or two in the preseason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA