It actually scares me that LF is coming back

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It only tempts the front office to go with the "same old same old" for one more year. (I suppose he wants to pass up all the other WRs and be #2 behind Jerry Rice. Suppose you can't blame him if that is what is on his mind) But can we stand another year of the Palmer/Fitz show. Time to cut the cord and go young and new across the board, starting in the front office and working its way down through the coaching staff and older players. Most of them gave their all for years, but unfortunately that time has past, with still no rings to pass out.

dreday

Veteran
Reaction score
LF may or may not be back. We'll have to see in the offseason.

I'm ready for an overhaul.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is far and away the best receiver on the roster, and will likely be next a season too. If he wants to hang around and chase records then I’d roll out the red carpet for him, basically for as long as he wants to play. Perhaps one of the most prominent figures in Arizona Sports history, and he’s still playing at a high level.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I had the same thought. A delusional front office might think the SB Window is still open and pass on a QBOTF again in hopes if beefing up the OL or DL in the first round for a SB run.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
No matter who the HC or QB will be in 2018, or which type of offense we run - Fitz will be our WR1 if he chooses to continue his career. Just look at this year's WR stats around the NFL, he is top 10 in all categories despite our lackluster offense. Still playing on elite level. Maybe Fitz can help a young QB for a year or two to grow into a legit franchise QB. Rebuilds shouldn't include ditching your best player, who is btw a legend playing at elite level.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It only tempts the front office to go with the "same old same old" for one more year. (I suppose he wants to pass up all the other WRs and be #2 behind Jerry Rice. Suppose you can't blame him if that is what is on his mind) But can we stand another year of the Palmer/Fitz show. Time to cut the cord and go young and new across the board, starting in the front office and working its way down through the coaching staff and older players. Most of them gave their all for years, but unfortunately that time has past, with still no rings to pass out.

It scares you that Fitzgerald is coming back, or does it scare you that you think the Cardinals are not going to try to rebuild ?

No quarterback of the future on the roster right now, and if you draft one, are you starting a rookie QB right out of college ?

I wouldn't thus Palmer coming back for one more year is not a problem for me, AS LONG AS, there is a young QB waiting in the wings for 2019.

The Cardinals receiving group is: Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown, Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson, Brittan Golden, and Chad Williams.

If you get rid of Fitzgerald, that leaves you with Chad Williams going into next year. It do not see a problem to pay Fitzgerald the going rate for a good WR2, while he out performs most of the WR2 in the league,AS LONG AS , the Cardinals invest into youth and a revamp of the wide receiver's group as a whole.

I am 100% with every poster, fan, etc., etc. that the Cardinals need to invest in the future going forward, I was for doing it last offseason. But, for all the hand wringing over the Cardinals trying to keep the current core intact and go ahead with the same roster and players I will give you this knowledge nugget of the day.

The Cardinals have 15 (and at least 3 of those may not make it through next offseason) under contract for the 2019 season. 15.

That is 38 open roster spots for the 53 man roster. The Cardinals have no other option than to rebuild the roster, because there is "no roster" come 2019.

The 15 players are:
Chandler Jones
Tyrann Mathieu
Patrick Peterson
Mike Iupati
Jermaine Gresham
Antoine Bethea
Haason Reddick
Robert Nkemdiche
Budda Baker
Brandon Williams
Chad Williams
Evan Boehm
Will Holden
T.J. Logan
Rudy Ford

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the same thought. A delusional front office might think the SB Window is still open and pass on a QBOTF again in hopes if beefing up the OL or DL in the first round for a SB run.

I wouldn't mind that at all. If the Cards had a Dallas type OL and Palmer not getting sacked and had time in the backfield, their record would be totally different then it is today. Even with crappy ST play.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The 15 players are:
Chandler Jones
Tyrann Mathieu
Patrick Peterson
Mike Iupati
Jermaine Gresham
Antoine Bethea
Haason Reddick
Robert Nkemdiche
Budda Baker
Brandon Williams
Chad Williams
Evan Boehm
Will Holden
T.J. Logan
Rudy Ford

The 15 players are:
Chandler Jones - Keeper
Tyrann Mathieu - Restructure his contract and he is a keeper
Patrick Peterson - Keeper
Mike Iupati - Cut
Jermaine Gresham - Cut
Antoine Bethea - Keeper
Haason Reddick - Work in progress
Robert Nkemdiche - Not a bust yet, one more year will determine that.
Budda Baker - Replace TM if he is cut
Brandon Williams - Cut
Chad Williams - What and see.
Evan Boehm - Move to his normal position at C and cut Shipley
Will Holden - Decent backup
T.J. Logan - Wait and see
Rudy Ford - Should see the field more on D and is ok on ST

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LF is awesome, but not 10 mill cap space. Overpaying kills teams

You are % wrong on Shipley. He's been solid

I'd blow the whole thing up. New coach and a total team overhaul. Bye bye Carson and his 25 mill and no to 10 mill Fitz and see ya BA

This team is a poop storm of a mess

Of the 15
Chandler
Bethea
Budda
Robert N
Reddick
Patrick P
and poss Iupati

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You are % wrong on Shipley. He's been solid

I'd blow the whole thing up. New coach and a total team overhaul. Bye bye Carson and his 25 mill and no to 10 mill Fitz and see ya BA

This team is a poop storm of a mess

Of the 15
Chandler
Bethea
Budda
Robert N
Reddick
Patrick P
and poss Iupati
Fitz was going to cost 4 mil in dead money regardless...they essentially signed him to get some sort of production instead of lost money...cost them 7 mil more in additional space. Not a terrible move.

For me, it isn't bringing back Fitz or Palmer or Arians that makes me believe we will be terrible again next year...it is bringing back Bettcher and Amos. They are the anchor on this franchise along with Keim's drafting in the first two rounds.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Not sure you can say it is overpaying when a lot of teams are paying that money to their WR2, and those same players are producing less.

I get the argument and even was on that side of it, but the $$$ and production the team will get for the money makes sense. There are still 3 to 4 open spots on the roster next year for new receivers.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
My goodness. I can hardly imagine this receiving core without Fitz. It is bad enough that I am not sure how you can evaluate the QB position with the O-line in similar shape.

I understand wanting the young players to play and succeed, but paying good money to watch JJ and John Brown drop passes is rough. I will keep Larry at $8m a year for as long as he will play.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It's not that Larry playing another year to set records scares me, I am actually all for it for his sake and the fact we have some joy to hang our fan's hat on, since we have so few. But it's the possibility of the powers that be thinking that we are still with LF and CP just a player or two away from having a shot at going somewhere. To me, it raises the question of postponing the inevitable and continuing our agony for another worthless year. Heck, if it wasn't for LF, I can't imagine what the last decade of Cardinal football would have been like. Thanks Larry!

By the way, I heard the announcers of the last Steelers game raving about how Antonio Brown looks like he may be the best ever. Well maybe, if you can keep it up for another 10 straight years. As of right now, I would pick LF over anyone who ever played the position and be perfectly happy. Outside of Rice, no one can touch him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It scares you that Fitzgerald is coming back, or does it scare you that you think the Cardinals are not going to try to rebuild ?

No quarterback of the future on the roster right now, and if you draft one, are you starting a rookie QB right out of college ?

I wouldn't
thus Palmer coming back for one more year is not a problem for me, AS LONG AS, there is a young QB waiting in the wings for 2019.

The Cardinals receiving group is: Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown, Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson, Brittan Golden, and Chad Williams.

If you get rid of Fitzgerald, that leaves you with Chad Williams going into next year. It do not see a problem to pay Fitzgerald the going rate for a good WR2, while he out performs most of the WR2 in the league,AS LONG AS , the Cardinals invest into youth and a revamp of the wide receiver's group as a whole.

I am 100% with every poster, fan, etc., etc. that the Cardinals need to invest in the future going forward, I was for doing it last offseason. But, for all the hand wringing over the Cardinals trying to keep the current core intact and go ahead with the same roster and players I will give you this knowledge nugget of the day.

The Cardinals have 15 (and at least 3 of those may not make it through next offseason) under contract for the 2019 season. 15.

That is 38 open roster spots for the 53 man roster. The Cardinals have no other option than to rebuild the roster, because there is "no roster" come 2019.

The 15 players are:
Chandler Jones
Tyrann Mathieu
Patrick Peterson
Mike Iupati
Jermaine Gresham
Antoine Bethea
Haason Reddick
Robert Nkemdiche
Budda Baker
Brandon Williams
Chad Williams
Evan Boehm
Will Holden
T.J. Logan
Rudy Ford
Why?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

The percentages usually are better if you ease the guy into the situation.......then again, I have seen it where they get thrown into the fire and work their way through it.

I am more of a conservative type, I guess. Have a plan, and a process, but I will be the first guy to tell you that backfires sometimes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose