Isaiah Simmons

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Pretty much what I said & totally agree with. It’s just mind blowing that people think Blowseph is good at his craft.

I also believe he & Kliff are also not very good teachers either. And then you combine that with poor schematic playbooks & you have a recipe for mediocrity at best.
If we are ok giving Vance this level of talent, it’s fine to keep him. You just have to recognize what he wants and give it to him. Very traditional players who have high football IQs.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If we are ok giving Vance this level of talent, it’s fine to keep him. You just have to recognize what he wants and give it to him. Very traditional players who have high football IQs.
I personally have no faith in him telling the GM & scouts the type of players he needs. I think his pass defense schemes are too conservative to win big when it counts in December, January & February. Too many easy throws

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I am watching Micah Parsons in the MNF game and wondering why Simmons can't be used like this. On 3rd and longs he is a pass rusher. Physically, Simmons and Parsons have a lot in common. If Simmons is such a liability as LB in coverage, then don't have him do that. Speed rush or stunt. That's not too complicated.
Cause they don’t let you run in a straight line to the QB.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How do you go from having a guy wear the green dot in Week 1 to playing him 16 snaps in Week 3? You have coached the guy for the past two years. If his maturity and smarts are such big issues, why give him the green dot in the first place?

Vance also created a new position for Simmons while having him wear the green dot. Seems like way too much to take on at once for Isaiah. Isaiah has his issues, but it really seems like Vance set him up to fail this year.

Also, who is wearing the green dot now? It certainly can't be Isaiah. Is it Budda? How does it affect the defense to switch the player setting up the D so early in the season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
How do you go from having a guy wear the green dot in Week 1 to playing him 16 snaps in Week 3? You have coached the guy for the past two years. If his maturity and smarts are such big issues, why give him the green dot in the first place?

Vance also created a new position for Simmons while having him wear the green dot. Seems like way too much to take on at once for Isaiah. Isaiah has his issues, but it really seems like Vance set him up to fail this year.

Also, who is wearing the green dot now? It certainly can't be Isaiah. Is it Budda? How does it affect the defense to switch the player setting up the D so early in the season.
Agreed.

Zaven which is how it should be imo.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This is who Vance is. He doesn't really adjust to players.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Mind boggling that VJ is still employed, but then again, can anyone really be surprised. I’ve said it dozens of times, and I’ll say a hundred times more. It ALWAYS starts at the top. Our ownership is at fault & has always been the culprit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Mind boggling that VJ is still employed, but then again, can anyone really be surprised. I’ve said it dozens of times, and I’ll say a hundred times more. It ALWAYS starts at the top. Our ownership is at fault & has always been the culprit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but in our recent history, we have at least had more than competent defensive coordinators that were sought after by other teams (Bowles, Horton).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of VJ. But, somehow, the Rams scored just 20 points. We should win games when the oppponent scores 20. Our offense is supposed to be the strength of the team. The D has given up 23 points in the last 6 qtrs. Which seems hard to believe.

What I am saying I guess is we have a bigger problem with OC than DC.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not a fan of VJ. But, somehow, the Rams scored just 20 points. We should win games when the oppponent scores 20. Our offense is supposed to be the strength of the team. The D has given up 23 points in the last 6 qtrs. Which seems hard to believe.

What I am saying I guess is we have a bigger problem with OC than DC.
Agreed, Kingsbury is a much bigger problem than Joseph.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but in our recent history, we have at least had more than competent defensive coordinators that were sought after by other teams (Bowles, Horton).
Yes. But, always hit or miss & many more misses. In my lifetime as a fan that goes back to 1964, we’ve had 1 great coach (Coryell), and we managed to fire him after he asked for defensive help. BA was very good, but his stubbornness did him in. Winner was good, Whiz was good, but needed a QB to win, but doesn’t EVERYONE. Everyone else has been either a has been or a glorified coordinator. The Bidwill reputation has been a millstone around our neck. A good franchise would have never let Reid leave the premises & offered him the moon & stars to hire him. On the GM side, old man Bidwill only hired his bean counting cronies, and they were ALL awful. Keim, good at things, bad at things, is one of our longest tenured GM’s. Who really knows how long he’ll be around, and yet he groomed Jason Licht, who has now won a SB & proclaims that Keim taught him everything he knows. KK is awful, VJ is awful. We know MB was responsible for Wilks, who was horrendous. I will always maintain that the Bidwills ALWAYS were far too involved in the day to day operation, and that’s been a disaster. So, we eventually fire Keim, KK, and VJ. Knowing the Bidwill ineptness, does anyone truly trust MB to make a good choice with the next GM & HC? Because, sadly, he’ll still have the final say on who the next HC is. Silly to think otherwise. Bidwill history is Bidwill history. A tiger doesn’t change its stripes. Who’s the next Bidwill in line? Maybe you younger fans will see new ownership way down the road. But, us long suffering fans will sadly go to our graves having never tasted what it feels like to be a legitimate winning NFL franchise.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not true. They are BOTH awful. One without the other is still a losing situation. VJ has to go first though. A great D can keep a team in a game long enough to find something that works.
The reason Joseph will go first is because he did not just undeservingly receive a 5 year extension and DC's are easier to replace than HC's. But make no mistake, you get a an NFL caliber HC and this team is much better. Also, look at the roster VJ has now, no real pass rusher, no CB's, etc. The reason ARZ folded last year is because the offense went from a NFL one to a JV football one.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The reason Joseph will go first is because he did not just undeservingly receive a 5 year extension and DC's are easier to replace than HC's. But make no mistake, you get a an NFL caliber HC and this team is much better. Also, look at the roster VJ has now, no real pass rusher, no CB's, etc. The reason ARZ folded last year is because the offense went from a NFL one to a JV football one.
Unfortunately, if they fire VJ then they will probably promote Billy Davis. :barf:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree, but you’re giving VJ way too much credit. You’re forgetting that his defense down the stretch last year couldn’t stop a JV offense either. We drafted what we thought were difference maker in the 1st round two straight years, and VJ has ruined both of them. He needs to go for that reason alone. His system absolutely won’t work in the NFL of today. A defense that doesn’t emphasize athleticism & rewards old, smart guys that can’t run is a recipe for disaster.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if they fire VJ then they will probably promote Billy Davis. :barf:
God, no. Bidwill is inept, but can he really be that inept? I guess you’re right. That could could happen. If they fired VJ before season’s end, I would hire Burke as interim. At least his system emphasizes running to the ball & being aggressive.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree, but you’re giving VJ way too much credit. You’re forgetting that his defense down the stretch last year couldn’t stop a JV offense either. We drafted what we thought were difference maker in the 1st round two straight years, and VJ has ruined both of them. He needs to go for that reason alone. His system absolutely won’t work in the NFL of today. A defense that doesn’t emphasize athleticism & rewards old, smart guys that can’t run is a recipe for disaster.
I am not giving VJ a pass because any good coach / coordinator tailors their system to the personnel they have and both KK & VJ have not. But just to give some perspective, look at the losses and additions in the KK era and you will notice more has been done to offense than defense in terms of bringing in proven talent. Keim is responsible for the drafting two ILB's in first round back to back years so you can't say that VJ has been given 1st round defensive talent to improve defense because neither has been an impact guy because neither is a pass rushing edge / DL or a starting CB we need. JJ Watt has been the biggest defensive free agent brought in during KK era and he is no where near the DPOY level he once was.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not giving VJ a pass because any good coach / coordinator tailors their system to the personnel they have and both KK & VJ have not. But just to give some perspective, look at the losses and additions in the KK era and you will notice more has been done to offense than defense in terms of bringing in proven talent. Keim is responsible for the drafting two ILB's in first round back to back years so you can't say that VJ has been given 1st round defensive talent to improve defense because neither has been an impact guy because neither is a pass rushing edge / DL or a starting CB we need. JJ Watt has been the biggest defensive free agent brought in during KK era and he is no where near the DPOY level he once was.
Your first sentence says everything we need to know about both KK/VJ. Both run systems that the NFL has figured out, and neither are creative enough to counter. Can anyone really blame Keim for drafting Simmons? Had Carolina drafted him in front of us, we would have taken Derrick Brown. Both were positions of need. As far as corners were concerned, Okudah went 3rd, has been injured, and not very good so far. Henderson went 9th & was a bust. No other CB was worthy of picking at 8. In 2021 draft, both Horn & Surtain were gone long before we drafted. Horn has been mostly injured & Surtain has been very good. Farley went at 22, and if not injured, he’s been below average at best. So, do we really know if Simmons & Collins were bad picks? Maybe in VJ’s crappy system they are. But, can we trust his system? Personally, I don’t. I believe that if they were in different systems, they would be far better than they have been with us. Time will tell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue with Vance is I get the feeling even if we had a stacked defense we would be limited by the system he plays that's just too complex.

Someone did it today and showed the clip of the TD run by Kupp where we had Fotu lined up on the edge which as the poster said is exactly why McVay ran the play he did seeing there was no way in the world Fotu was athletic enough to stop it.

Vance does that every game, guys are asked to do something they can't do. I think Kliff is a bigger problem but I think Vance is a problem too.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Your first sentence says everything we need to know about both KK/VJ. Both run systems that the NFL has figured out, and neither are creative enough to counter. Can anyone really blame Keim for drafting Simmons? Had Carolina drafted him in front of us, we would have taken Derrick Brown. Both were positions of need. As far as corners were concerned, Okudah went 3rd, has been injured, and not very good so far. Henderson went 9th & was a bust. No other CB was worthy of picking at 8. In 2021 draft, both Horn & Surtain were gone long before we drafted. Horn has been mostly injured & Surtain has been very good. Farley went at 22, and if not injured, he’s been below average at best. So, do we really know if Simmons & Collins were bad picks? Maybe in VJ’s crappy system they are. But, can we trust his system? Personally, I don’t. I believe that if they were in different systems, they would be far better than they have been with us. Time will tell.
Hindsight is everything in terms of draft. Henderson is a bust but at the time would he have been a good choice at #8, yes. AJ Terrell went at #16, he has been good, not great in ATL but he would be better than what we have now at CB even if he wasn't viewed as a Top 10 guy but again hindsight. Had we had a second rounder that year, Trevon Diggs could have been had but we traded pick for Hopkins. Hopkins was a slam dunk acquisition but in hindsight had we not traded for him would Ceedee Lamb and Diggs been better for ARZ long term given what has developed with Hopkins?

As for 2021, there were a few CB's available after #16 (Farley, Newsome, Stokes, Campbell) but we can split hairs al day with draft picks and whether or not they would be successful in KK or VJ schemes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My issue with Vance is I get the feeling even if we had a stacked defense we would be limited by the system he plays that's just too complex.

Someone did it today and showed the clip of the TD run by Kupp where we had Fotu lined up on the edge which as the poster said is exactly why McVay ran the play he did seeing there was no way in the world Fotu was athletic enough to stop it.

Vance does that every game, guys are asked to do something they can't do. I think Kliff is a bigger problem but I think Vance is a problem too.
I honestly think that's one of the reasons we brought Vance in: we wanted to allocate a bunch of resources to the offense and be adequate with the defensive personnel we had in place. In that first draft he got a corner and DL prospect and both have turned out to be pretty solid. That added to a good group of veterans in Peterson and Budda.

Instead Keim decided he'd get tricky and draft even more positionless defensive players -- first Simmons and then Collins. This was after getting disappointing results with Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick. So now Vance is stuck with these guys he didn't want or need but is expected to play.

The defense has been the best part of this team every year Vance has been here. I don't understand why he gets the grief he does. People want to get three INTs a game and hold opponents to 0.5 YPC. That's not how the NFL works anymore.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the reality here is its hard to know if its a talent problem or a coaching problem, or both. Id say everyone on D below average with the exception of Allen, Watt, murphy, thompson, budda . And the two safetys, as we know, are potentially least important spots on D.