Isabella

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On Cardinals Flight Plan it said he had a top 5 grade on Murphy.

Murphys strengths in college were playing zone, yet he hires a DC in VJ who runs a man system....

This guy Steve Keim man....

And he had a top 5 grade on a player that was not in the schemes benefit from a scheme stand point

How does Michael Bidwill not put 2 and 2 together at this point?

Reaction score
I'm all for GM and HC working close together but either a) Keim liked Isabella too and thus shares the blame or b) he didn't like Isabella and took a player he didn't rate to please his HC.

Either one is still on Keim.

I
I think Keim really fell in love with PFF scouting rankings that year.

Any proof of that? A link or something or is this an opinion? I mean I know it's been speculated on here before, but it seems to have taken a life of it own. They pay good money for their scouting department, so wouldn't it make more sense to listen to them? I mean why pay for something you can get for free in the internet?
Ultimately every draft selection is the responsibility of Steve Keim; he gets the acclaim or the blame.

This idea of the Cardinals following PFF recommendations is farcical! As WC stated the Cardinals have an entire scouting staff, they are the one's making the evaluations and analysis. As GM, Keim has too much on his plate to review every prospect in detail; but he IS responsible for the end results. As I detailed in another thread on this topic, there are a number (4 or 5) of persons on the Cardinals scouting staff with ties to UMASS. Think a few of them might have overrated Isabella? They are the one's whose voices Steve Keim had in his ear, not PFF, not KK.

The blame is Keim's. Maybe Keim should be fired; maybe some or all of the scouting personnel need let go; or possibly both. But generally that is not the way the Cardinals; i.e. - the Bidwill's; operate. Most of us know they value loyalty highly, so more likely Keim will eventually be out, but the people making the evaluations/analysis will still be in place.

This is the Cardinals. . .

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I guess its more conjecture on my part based off of this

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The players he drafts tend to get high marks from PFF
So he's a dude from a fan boy internet site with no actual access to the team. I'm sure SK has access to way more information than even PPF. Does he read other people's opinions? Probably, I mean don't we all? To say a professional GM drafts players on an internet rating is crazy to even consider. IMO

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a huge disappointment. Makes me mad could have Metcal

Keim sucks at drafting

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol. Welker could catch with his hands.

People have to start coming up with better analysis than “he’s white and smaller.”

LOL! I wanted so badly to see some Kupp in him. Didn't want him to be the guy, just develop nicely. AI couldn't carry that man's dirty laundry bag. I remember Kupp came out the gate showing ability. Andy gave us a play here and there. Sad man. Good riddance.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he's a dude from a fan boy internet site with no actual access to the team. I'm sure SK has access to way more information than even PPF. Does he read other people's opinions? Probably, I mean don't we all? To say a professional GM drafts players on an internet rating is crazy to even consider. IMO

The week before the draft keim use to hold a press conference where he basically say nothing and just repeating every year how a tramendous job his staff made to put their draft board
Like if other teams aren't doing the same...
I mean u are paid a lot, what the reason to say the silly thing about working hard,tremendous job... watching kids playing, really?
Its stupid way to compliment yourself when most of his draft picks didn't match the expectations
So maybe he did realize how bad they were in the process and he started doing differently and taking a kind of PFF grades would have made his "job" apparently easier

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL! I wanted so badly to see some Kupp in him. Didn't want him to be the guy, just develop nicely. AI couldn't carry that man's dirty laundry bag. I remember Kupp came out the gate showing ability. Andy gave us a play here and there. Sad man. Good riddance.

He ain't gone yet! LOL

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The week before the draft keim use to hold a press conference where he basically say nothing and just repeating every year how a tramendous job his staff made to put their draft board
Like if other teams aren't doing the same...
I mean u are paid a lot, what the reason to say the silly thing about working hard,tremendous job... watching kids playing, really?
Its stupid way to compliment yourself when most of his draft picks didn't match the expectations
So maybe he did realize how bad they were in the process and he started doing differently and taking a kind of PFF grades would have made his "job" apparently easier
It's a great way to thank your staff for all their hard work and long hours. Being a scout is a thankless job, being in the road away from your family.

IMO it's a crazy theory to rely on an internet site to make your picks. I mean why not just let Kiper do your draft then and head to the bar? Although I would pick Cory Chavious to it.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a great way to thank your staff for all their hard work and long hours. Being a scout is a thankless job, being in the road away from your family.

IMO it's a crazy theory to rely on an internet site to make your picks. I mean why not just let Kiper do your draft then and head to the bar? Although I would pick Cory Chavious to it.

As the majority of the jobs and doesn't consist on watching games from the sideline, watching videos of prospects from a comfortable couch or interviewing the players and people connected to the kid
Outside of traveling, who many loves it , is a dream job

When the result is bad I think should be better not praising the work of u and your staff pubblicy

Its like if a CEO of important company praises his staff when the goals aren't being met.. Have u ever heard it?

I don't say he rely on pff but probably he has an analtycs staff doing a similar job

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ultimately every draft selection is the responsibility of Steve Keim; he gets the acclaim or the blame.

This idea of the Cardinals following PFF recommendations is farcical! As WC stated the Cardinals have an entire scouting staff, they are the one's making the evaluations and analysis. As GM, Keim has too much on his plate to review every prospect in detail; but he IS responsible for the end results. As I detailed in another thread on this topic, there are a number (4 or 5) of persons on the Cardinals scouting staff with ties to UMASS. Think a few of them might have overrated Isabella? They are the one's whose voices Steve Keim had in his ear, not PFF, not KK.

The blame is Keim's. Maybe Keim should be fired; maybe some or all of the scouting personnel need let go; or possibly both. But generally that is not the way the Cardinals; i.e. - the Bidwill's; operate. Most of us know they value loyalty highly, so more likely Keim will eventually be out, but the people making the evaluations/analysis will still be in place.

This is the Cardinals. . .

To be honest, if they did use PFF's big board it wouldn't any worse than what they put together with the scouts. They never unearth a gem like the Colts did with Darius Leonard, I recall when they took Leonard in round 2 everyone was saying "WTF are they doing?" but the Colts knew exactly what they were doing. And they never seem to strike Gold on a low round pick as many other teams do.

So overall, I don't think using PFF could be worse.

One bit of leeway I would give to Keim is that one part is picking the players and another is coaching them up, and I rarely feel we have good coaches who can do that. Kugler and Buckner are the only guys I have much faith in to improve players.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
True TRW, he may as well be as invisible as he was. I really can't see a reason to bring him back. The WR room needs a serious upgrade, and he ain't part of that IMO.

hes cheap, and young -- so no point in moving on before you have to

he will enter camp on the bubble and will have a lot to prove

if he doesnt, he gets cut