Is Tom Brady still a top 5 QB?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
After hearing about Brady's new deal I wonder if he is still a top 5 QB. Manning, Bree's & Rodgers are all better IMO...Rivers & Schaub are in the argument too.

No doubt Brady is top 10 but to be the highest paid player in the NFL you'd think he'd have to be the top player at your position. I just think he is being overpaid for past performance, I doubt he'd be worth anywhere close to that much to any other franchise but New England.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he were available this offseason, I'd pay him top 5 money. A top qb makes any team a contender.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny you should post this, I was just asking myself the same question. I know I wouldn't trade Bees, Rodgers or Manning for him. I would trade Schaub for him simply because of Matt's seeming inability to stay healthy, but Rivers may get the nod due to age.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If he were available this offseason, I'd pay him top 5 money. A top qb makes any team a contender.

But he isn't getting paid top 5 money, he is getting top money...highest paid player in the NFL money.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a word? Yes!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hell yes!!! No question.

If Brady was offered to the Cards for any single person on our roster, I would make the deal without blinking.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yes!!! No question.

If Brady was offered to the Cards for any single person on our roster, I would make the deal without blinking.

Yup

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
How are the others better? He's guided his franchise to the most Super Bowl wins. He got hurt and missed almost a whole year two years ago, but last year he played pretty well. He could probably put up even better #s this year. :shrug:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How are the others better? He's guided his franchise to the most Super Bowl wins. He got hurt and missed almost a whole year two years ago, but last year he played pretty well. He could probably put up even better #s this year. :shrug:

I agree. I expect Brady to have a monster year. He better...............he's my fantasy qb.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

Past performance doesn't always equal future success. Brady is on the wrong side of 30 and has suffered a major injury. I'm not saying he is a bum and shouldn't be in the NFL anymore but to call him the top QB and top player, which this contract clearly says, is wrong.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

And as the most recent top-5 QB to renegotiate his contract he probably WILL get more money than the others. It doesn't mean he;s the best, it just means he's got the newest contract.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
I agree. I expect Brady to have a monster year. He better...............he's my fantasy qb.
Well I took my top QB in terms of how I think fantasy points will go, but there's no way I'd take Rodgers over Brady in real life.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Past performance doesn't always equal future success. Brady is on the wrong side of 30 and has suffered a major injury. I'm not saying he is a bum and shouldn't be in the NFL anymore but to call him the top QB and top player, which this contract clearly says, is wrong.
I do agree NE should have got a home town discount, but who's to say Brady can't play for 4 more years at the level he's been at even if the odds are slightly against him? It's easier for me to understand veterans getting these contracts over what some of the rookies are now getting.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I do agree NE should have got a home town discount, but who's to say Brady can't play for 4 more years at the level he's been at even if the odds are slightly against him? It's easier for me to understand veterans getting these contracts over what some of the rookies are now getting.

I agree with you about giving the money to vets. That is why having picks slotted would be such a good idea. Make it so everyone gets 4 to 5 year contracts so if they are good they will get their pay day in their prime. I am not a fan of teams giving big money contracts to players as thank yous. I like the gesture but there has to be a better way. Tom Brady will not be worth $20 mil in 2014 and that contract will be hurting the Patroits.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet against Brady, He'll be top 5 in stats probably. I said a Cards franchise QB would be a good sign at 6 years 100 Mill early in the offseason, but most value different things than I in a QB.

Go DA earn more than Tom Brady!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Brady is a top five QB, however I don't believe the Pats are a top 5 team anymore.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well I took my top QB in terms of how I think fantasy points will go, but there's no way I'd take Rodgers over Brady in real life.

I'd take Rodgers over Brady anyday. Rodgers is younger, still has an upside and can do a lot of things Brady can't (mobility).

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brady is a top five QB, however I don't believe the Pats are a top 5 team anymore.

Yup, exactly!!!! Wes Welker will have one less step this year and Randy Moss is upset again. Brady's numbers may hurt from that.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Rodgers over Brady anyday. Rodgers is younger, still has an upside and can do a lot of things Brady can't (mobility).

Purely age yes I take him. But mobility? Brady is as mobile as he needs to be.