Is Tom Brady a "Game Manager?" (Help define game manager)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So I got into a discussion with Gandhi in another thread... if I'm reading his definition correctly, any QB that doesn't make plays when everything breaks down is a "Game Manager."

What do you guys think is a game manager at the QB position? And can we afford to move up to #1 to draft a guy who becomes a game manager instead of a guy that takes over games?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got into a discussion with Gandhi in another thread... if I'm reading his definition correctly, any QB that doesn't make plays when everything breaks down is a "Game Manager."

What do you guys think is a game manager at the QB position? And can we afford to move up to #1 to draft a guy who becomes a game manager instead of a guy that takes over games?

A game manager is a QB that doesn't do much to help the team win, but he won't put them in a position to lose either. The Alex Smith and Sam Bradfords of the world.

So no, Tom Brady is no where close to being a game manager.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He’s a gamer!!! Not a game manager and to even have to ask is pretty laughable.
I'm only asking because that's what was asserted in the other thread and I thought it was ridiculous. But no one else chimed in, so I figured there must be people in agreement.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defensive oriented head coaches have game managing QBs, generally with few exceptions. They instruct the QB to keep it simple stupid thus the KISS theory.

i.e. Mike Zimmer has"game managers". Bruce Arians did not.

" no risk it , no biscuit"

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What I would consider to be a game manager is a QB that is asked to make high percentage throws and not turn the ball over. Don't try to be a hero, just don't lose the game for us.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Game Manager = Picks up 1st downs on 3rd and long. Doesn't turn the ball over. Makes, maybe, 1 play a game in the passing game. Team usually wins games with defense, running the ball, and special teams. See Jacksonville Jaguars, or 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

Tom Brady literally IS the New England offense some games, and makes every and all plays. He is no game manager.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A game manager could never throw for 51 TDs and over 5000 yards like Tom did back in 2007.

Anyone making this argument doesn’t understand the term or watch Brady.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A game manager is a QB that doesn't do much to help the team win, but he won't put them in a position to lose either. The Alex Smith and Sam Bradfords of the world.

That’s a fair assessment. My definition of a game manager is a quarterback that manages the game and gameplan. An offensive coordinator or the head coach creates a system and prepares a gameplan before every game. If the quarterback executes that gameplan within the frames of the system, then I would consider him a game manager. In the specific example of Tom Brady my thinking is that you very rarely see him do anything from outside the pocket, and usually when a quarterback is improvising and basically playing his own game he is outside the pocket. When a quarterback is inside the pocket, he is executing what the playcaller told him to execute. Well, actually we don’t know that, but no one on this board or any other fan can credibly claim otherwise.

I think the vast majority of starting quarterbacks are game managers, and I don’t at all consider that to be a bad thing.

Reaction score
Game Manager = Picks up 1st downs on 3rd and long. Doesn't turn the ball over. Makes, maybe, 1 play a game in the passing game. Team usually wins games with defense, running the ball, and special teams. See Jacksonville Jaguars, or 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

Tom Brady literally IS the New England offense some games, and makes every and all plays. He is no game manager.

So you are saying TB calls all of his own plays? To me QB's that don't improvise or change plays at the LOS are game managers. Ones that do improvise a lot & change the play at the LOS are not. i.e Wilson is not a game manager but I would say Alex Smith is.

Reaction score
That’s a fair assessment. My definition of a game manager is a quarterback that manages the game and gameplan. An offensive coordinator or the head coach creates a system and prepares a gameplan before every game. If the quarterback executes that gameplan within the frames of the system, then I would consider him a game manager. In the specific example of Tom Brady my thinking is that you very rarely see him do anything from outside the pocket, and usually when a quarterback is improvising and basically playing his own game he is outside the pocket. When a quarterback is inside the pocket, he is executing what the playcaller told him to execute. Well, actually we don’t know that, but no one on this board or any other fan can credibly claim otherwise.

I think the vast majority of starting quarterbacks are game managers, and I don’t at all consider that to be a bad thing.

+1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think your definition is a just a 'good QB.' When the media uses the term game manager, they are using my definition IMHO.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a 2 part question/request thread.

1. Is Tom Brady a "game manager". Answer: No.

2 Help define "game manager". Alex Smith.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
This is a 2 part question/request thread.

1. Is Tom Brady a "game manager". Answer: No.

2 Help define "game manager". Alex Smith.
Sam Bradford is more of a game manager than Alex Smith.

Reactions: TRW

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Not a game manager at ALL !!!! ... a cheater ? ...yes a massive Whiner ? ... yes but a game manager ? ... no

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No, because Brady can decide a game too... seconds running down and he has the ball, he manages a win more often than not :)

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think your definition is a just a 'good QB.' When the media uses the term game manager, they are using my definition IMHO.

That’s right. Does that make the thinking correct? Not everything the media says is correct. I like to form my own opinions.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right. Does that make the thinking correct? Not everything the media says is correct. I like to form my own opinions.

Well, I don't know if it was someone famous or the media that coined the phrase. If the media came up with the phrase then I would say they are correct.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it was someone famous or the media that coined the phrase. If the media came up with the phrase then I would say they are correct.

Okay, but I think that’s a different matter. I thought you meant that because the media said it, it was correct. My bad.

By the way, I should add that I definitely see Brady as the best game manager in the world. He and the system are like a perfect symbiotic organism the works in perfect union. That has to be the greatest blueprint for a game manager.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
No he is not a system QB. He is the dude you trust to do whatever he wants to when the game is on the line. I think he comes through way more than not. As GatorAZ just said "Brady is the system".