Is this really a 'Air Raid' offense anymore...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How many yards does it take before they automatically declare a team the winner? I’ve always thought it was a points thing.
It's always going to start with yards. The red zone conversions will come as KK continues to adjust as a play caller and as the players build better chemistry. The fact that we are moving the ball well right now is absolutely be cause for optimism, but they obviously need to improve in the scoring department as the season progresses.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
It's always going to start with yards. The red zone conversions will come as KK continues to adjust as a play caller and as the players build better chemistry. The fact that we are moving the ball well right now is absolutely be cause for optimism, but they obviously need to improve in the scoring department as the season progresses.

Exactly. After 5 weeks, we are 4th in red zone scoring attempts (tied with New England and Kansas City) with a rookie HC and QB.

Our offense is moving the ball consistently into the red zone. Play calling is the hardest in the red zone due to the lack of space. They’ll adjust.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am pleased that he has made adjustments and is not one of these coaches that forces the players into a system . Instead he is adapting the offense to what he has.
And it's only gonna get better, he keeps adapting & getting better each week. When we get the red zone offense to the league average of 55% look out.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, the foundation initially was full of heavy WR sets but after the last couple of games we are seeing TEs and double back sets which are productive and production seems to have a obvious fan in Kliff Kingsbury. Yes, it never was really a full college offense which is expected and why Clements was brought in but it seems the Air Raid is now the icing and not the cake of the offense
Let's not forget about Sean Kugler, he tells KK which running plays that will work & KK dresses them up with different formations & personnel groups.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Let's not forget about Sean Kugler, he tells KK which running plays that will work & KK dresses them up with different formations & personnel groups.
Yes, Yes, YES!

We aren't going to have him for long IMO, so hopefully K2 is learning as much as possible.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How many yards does it take before they automatically declare a team the winner? I’ve always thought it was a points thing.
Through 5 weeks last year we had 10 scoring drives. This year we have had 22 scoring drives and is 8th in the NFL. There is of course an expectation that Kingsbury and Murray get better, and at this rate, they are getting significantly more red zone opportunities which should help them improve the approach.

I have been extremely skeptical about how this will all shake out, and am still not convinced it will. That being said, anyone who can't see the offensive improvement that Kingsbury's scheme has had is intentionally sticking their head in the sand. The same goes for how Murray is executing that scheme. Neither is perfect and both still need improvement but it is worlds better.

We are 11th in the NFL in team rushing at 126.8 yards per game. We are tied for 3rd in the NFL in rush yards per attempt at 5.4.

In 2018, in a "establish the run" offense, we were 32nd in rush yards per attempt at 3.8 and 32nd in rush yards per game at 83.9.

So, whatever you want to call his offense, Kingsbury has increased our rushing yards per game by 42.9 yards per game and 1.6 yards per rush attempt. That is significant especially when people consistently comment on what a trash offensive line we have.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And it's only gonna get better, he keeps adapting & getting better each week. When we get the red zone offense to the league average of 55% look out.
I was just telling the wife the same thing. If they can just get to 50% in the red zone they will be putting up 35+ a game .

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Through 5 weeks last year we had 10 scoring drives. This year we have had 22 scoring drives and is 8th in the NFL. There is of course an expectation that Kingsbury and Murray get better, and at this rate, they are getting significantly more red zone opportunities which should help them improve the approach.

I have been extremely skeptical about how this will all shake out, and am still not convinced it will. That being said, anyone who can't see the offensive improvement that Kingsbury's scheme has had is intentionally sticking their head in the sand. The same goes for how Murray is executing that scheme. Neither is perfect and both still need improvement but it is worlds better.

We are 11th in the NFL in team rushing at 126.8 yards per game. We are tied for 3rd in the NFL in rush yards per attempt at 5.4.

In 2018, in a "establish the run" offense, we were 32nd in rush yards per attempt at 3.8 and 32nd in rush yards per game at 83.9.

So, whatever you want to call his offense, Kingsbury has increased our rushing yards per game by 42.9 yards per game and 1.6 yards per rush attempt. That is significant especially when people consistently comment on what a trash offensive line we have.

Good stuff!

What I've noticed, which is all to the good, is Murray is adjusting to the speed of the game in his decision making. Still a bit quick, a bit slow, pulling the trigger but improving. Also, he's had a few issues with his drop back and shuffles left and right that has made pass blocking problematic but, again, he's getting better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keep in mind the title of offensive coordinator is vacant. If the Cardinals believe that Kugler is making a significant difference, they have the ability to promote him.

Kugler has to receive a bunch of credit for how this offensive line is playing. The scheme doesnt exactly help the offensive line out, but they have played fairly well.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Keep in mind the title of offensive coordinator is vacant. If the Cardinals believe that Kugler is making a significant difference, they have the ability to promote him.

Also, hasn't Kugler always been a OL coach and why should one think that would change with another team then being able to pry him from the Cards for the same title... really, I think 'run' OC is just some fictitious title since we gave Clements the 'pass' one when they are really only advisers with Kingsbury just happening to be a very receptive OC to others opinions but still has his own and final say :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, hasn't Kugler always been a OL coach and why should one think that would change with another team then being able to pry him from the Cards for the same title... really, I think 'run' OC is just some fictitious title since we gave Clements the 'pass' one when they are really only advisers with Kingsbury just happening to be a very receptive OC to others opinions but still has his own and final say :)
With the state of offensive lines around the NFL, I can see an old school coach wanting to have Kugler as the OC to "establish the run" on offense. I don't know that it will happen, but we do have something in place to counter it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With the state of offensive lines around the NFL, I can see an old school coach wanting to have Kugler as the OC to "establish the run" on offense. I don't know that it will happen, but we do have something in place to counter it.
You can stop that, I believe, as long as he's under contract.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
teams generally cannot stand in the way of HC opportunities--

i only say generally because they all go through this "asked team X for permission to speak to ..." process during a HC search. I cant recall ever hearing "but team X said no.."

but they can block asst coach moves, even for promotions, if the asst coach is still under contract

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

It's certainly improved, but has it improved enough?

I think that's the question.

Alongside that is if KK is really adept enough to run the full team. If he just totally cannot guide the overall team on Defense or as a whole, and we become the NFL's Texas Tech, well, it does us no good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's certainly improved, but has it improved enough?

I think that's the question.

Alongside that is if KK is really adept enough to run the full team. If he just totally cannot guide the overall team on Defense or as a whole, and we become the NFL's Texas Tech, well, it does us no good.
Well, we have one win so if doesn't improve anymore...no, not enough. If it continues to improve, sure. I think Kingsbury has an adjustment to make. I think this initial plan to focus on getting the QB and offense correct is a good way to ease into his new role while also addressing the most important needs of the team. I am sure as the offense gets more settled and Murray gets more settled, Kingsbury will become more involved with the other units.