Is this draft really a good Oline class? How do they compare to Levi Brown as a prospect?

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel Lamb is almost a for sure contributor long term.. I can't really tell if that is true for the O-lineman.. That's why I'd like Simmons or Brown.. We need as sure of a thing as we can get.. I'd be happy with 90% odds at being top 20% at their position :)

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol was hard rewatching the 2007 draft brown over Peterson ouch

That draft was deep

That's what need drafting gets you, never draft for need, nobody liked the Levi Brown pick, except for the same crowd now that screams keep Rosen. You take the best player regardless position

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know in another thread I was told you can't compare Brown to these prospects, but it sounds to me that he would very well be the number one olineman taken in this draft if they were all coming out at the same time.. that's kind of scary..

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://walterfootball.com/draft2020ot.php

Read the write up nobody here screams want him on the Cards, they all have red flags. So much so theybfont even know who the best one is, that's never a good sign. Ogden, Thanas are not there, it's more guys who they are not sure what position they will even play. A questionable RT ot Guard is never worth a early first, never.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t see an elite T either in this draft none of these guys are Thomas, Ogden or Pace

at the same time I don’t see any elite WR either none of these guys are Fitz, Julio or Megatron

lot of good but not great on offense in this draft

This is why the Cardinals should trade down if the option exists, unless Simmons or Okuda is available at #8. I don't believe that any of the highest rated O-lineman or receivers have any better of a chance of being elite, than a lot of the players ranked #10-30.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Levi Brown's nickname of the Human Turnstile was absolutely earned.

Back in the day watching the away games at Doc and Eddy's in Tempe there was a guy who stood up and yelled "levi you turnstile!" at least four times a game. I assume he probably reads this forum.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
but it sounds to me that he would very well be the number one olineman taken in this draft

its a giant leap from: "Levi Brown was a highly rated tackle taken the top 10 and he was a bust"

to "Levi Brown would be the highest rated tackle in this draft class"

not sure how you get to the second part

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Becton and Wirfs fit best at guard. Thomas will be a long term OT starter.
Wills will dominate.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
In 2020, and likely moving forward, I don't think you're ever going to see the days of a surefire NFL-style tackle coming out again. As has been mentioned, there's so many spread or Air Raid offenses that don't ask a tackle to ever put their hand in the dirt, that it's just impossible to know.

This affects WRs too, as they're put in offenses tailor-made to make them look great and put them in favorable positions that dazzle the fans. Unfortunately, when they get to the NFL and have to get jammed at the line and no longer have the benefit of pick plays or the more open hash marks, the players don't dazzle as much.

That's why this concern over tackles is silly. Of course they're going to have warts, because they don't play pro-style football and talent evaluators can do nothing but hypothesize.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
its a giant leap from: "Levi Brown was a highly rated tackle taken the top 10 and he was a bust"

So are you saying if Levi Brown was in this draft class and they did not know his Pro future he wouldn't be the #1 prospect by draft experts? I believe he would be. I think he was more well regarded back then compared to the Olinemen coming out now.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Lots of good points in this thread. OT is now vastly different in college than the NFL. That’s why athleticism is so critical. These tackles are far more impressive athletes than Brown. With good coaching all should be effective at RT. BTW Grimm was a joke away from Pitts. He couldn’t have identified a tackle if locked in a phone both (showing my age) with Joe Thomas.

football karma

Reaction score
So are you saying if Levi Brown was in this draft class and they did not know his Pro future he wouldn't be the #1 prospect by draft experts?

yes. a very good run blocker, but may lack the footspeed for quicker edge rushers in pass pro is not a 1st round grade in this draft

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
No need to compare the top 4 OTs in this draft to other drafts. The main thing to realize is they are a class above every other OT in draft. If you need a starting OT, it will be one or more of these 4 or probably nothing. Unless you just need a backup this season, you better try 1 of these top 4.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The only elite prospects in this draft are Burrow, Tua (including red flags),Young, Okudah and Simmons (lesser impact position but elite nonetheless). I don’t see any of them getting to 8 unless the Giants reach for a tackle and both Love/Herbert fly off.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can anyone find / remember Levi Brown's "NFL Prospect Grade"? Of course, it would be completely subjective, but it would be interesting to compare this year's prospects to previous successful / unsuccessful OTs and WRs on a common scale.

2020 OT grades (Highest is Wills at 6.85)
2020 WR grades (Highest is Lamb at 6.81)

NFL.com doesn't seem to have that as far back as 2007.

...dave

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He's right in that there are no elite OT's in the class because elite OT's play LT and there's a reason for that. That's why I've been steadfastly against drafting a RT at 8.

RT's are important but so are guards and centers and you rarely see them as top 10 picks unless they are considered head and shoulder above the rest as can't miss studs. When the Cards took the kid from UNC, his name is escaping me, he was considered elite but he's another example of why you don't draft those positions that high.

Lane Johnson, I believe, is the last RT to have been drafted that high and he was still the 3rd OT selected in that draft.

football karma

Reaction score
He's right in that there are no elite OT's in the class because elite OT's play LT

Andrew Thomas played LT

Wills played two seasons at RT for a left handed QB

Becton played LT last year

Wirfs is the outlier here, and its a legit question on why he wasnt moved to LT

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Andrew Thomas played LT

Wills played two seasons at RT for a left handed QB

Becton played LT last year

Wirfs is the outlier here, and its a legit question on why he wasnt moved to LT
Elite LT's are usually top 5 picks. I'm guessing Thomas and Becton are drafted outside the top 10. Playing RT for a lefthanded QB in college is irrelevant to playing LT in the NFL.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I bet Thomas goes #4 to NY.

1. Burrow
2. Young
3. Okudah
4. Thomas
5. Tua
6. Herbert
7. Simmons