Is Murray Too Risk Adverse?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

What Harry said. Also, I wasn't trying to ridicule YOU for your facts, or your wanting to do deep dives for stats. Poor wording on my part. I was just saying I'm not going to spend hours backing up to some random internet person what my eyes tell me, and what others' eyes tell them: That KM doesn't always slide well and that those slides, whatever the motivation, have hurt us. As a writer, I'll take the hit on the poor wording there.

Constantly? I'll say when it's close to the first down marker, it's pretty often. It's happened more than 4 or 5 times in recent games (no, I'm not going to look) IMO, so it's a problem to me. Whether it's a mechanics problem, field awareness problem, or avoiding contact problem, I see it as a problem.

I don't know about other posters, but I never worry about getting into the scrum or being "called out" because someone calling me out on the internet affects me roughly the same as someone calling me out on pop star knowledge: I don't much care. I also never worry about posting a mea culpa (see above) when I think I'm wrong on something.

2. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Kyler passing outside the pocket is very rare.

Once his legs start moving he forgets he has arms.

SoonerLou, TaylorSwift and Russ Smith like this.
  3. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Hall of Famer

Neither one of us has to look it up. Someone already did and posted it to Youtube. (And I thought I was a football nerd). This video was posted on Nov. 11. I have no problem with any of these slides---even the very last one:

Kyler Murray but he only slides (2020 season highlights) - YouTube

Here's the slide in the Patriot game and the return that was called back (love the fan commenting on KM for giving himself up instead of going for the 1st down and the Pat D)

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ASGEckJ5To&ab_channel=RuDown4Life

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    daves likes this.
  4. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

daves and GimmedaBall like this.
  5. GimmedaBall

Looked like Arnold was the one who was 'risk adverse' on that play. Arnold should have picked one of the Pats and applied the block (he needed the be the dude who blocked that dude). As soon as Arnold pulled up, KM immediately gave himself up as well.

Russ Smith and daves like this.
  6. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I will just say that I disagree with many of your observations stated above and we can move on. We are seeing these games differently.

7. TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift Registered

Throw it on the pile, another decision that Kiem did not think out in full.

It was known since Mahomes was drafted that he was raw, I am curious why he thought Kingsbury could even develop Rosen?

8. Stout

Definitely 2 out of the first video he could have gotten without getting clocked; same in the Pats game. Even the announcers recognized that. Also, that's certainly not all of the slides he's had this season.

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

he definitely could have gotten that first without getting crushed. Also, Dan Arnold could have made that easier by blocking ANYONE in front of him instead of just dancing with the defenders and doing nothing.

that was a big play. We had lost all mo with the 4th down stuff and there we had the ball coming out of the half at midfield. A first down and score on that drive would have knocked the Pats back on their heels and recaptured momentum.

instead Kyler goes down a yard early end then our ST craps the bed.

nashman likes this.
  10. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Which is why he's not natural throwing on the run. He obviously does it sometimes, but all his life he never needed to because he could always turn the corner.

McVay/Shanahan would drill this everyday until he gets better at it.

Kliff never really had to develop the throws on the run stuff for Mahomes/Manziel cause they naturally had it.

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. GimmedaBall

Yeah, but . . . Yeah, but . . . Yeah, but . . . Yeah, but. . .

Don't gimmedaball, gimmeabreak. I clearly state that the first video was posted on Nov. 11---of course, it doesn't have all the slides for this season. How could it?

In the Pat video, Arnold left him exposed by not making a block for him. Two Pats were there with two more closing---if he had stayed up he may have got the first down but he would have got hammered for the trouble. Recall he is playing with an injured shoulder during that game. I don't want him taking that risk for further injury, you do. I don't have a problem with his decision-making to go down in the split-second he has to make that decision.

Like I said, I have no problems with any of his slides in the video links I provided. My judgement is different than yours. Guess that's where it ends.

Russ Smith likes this.
  12. GimmedaBall

Please review that Pat play. There was at least one of four Pat players waiting a good yard in front of the first down line. Had KM continued full speed that Pat player would have moved in position to defend the first-down line. KM would have to go through him and also be open for the other three to close and gang tackle him. He would be considered a 'runner' and subject to everyone on the D having a shot. Different story if Arnold lowered the boom on the Pat player and moved him out of the way. But Arnold didn't---do you really want KM with his bum shoulder trying to move that defender?? Getting slammed by three more after the first hit???

daves likes this.
  13. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Wait until he does it during a playoff game because he will.

14. Stout

Playoff games, and games in do-or-die, get-into-the-playoffs situations, are different :)

nashman likes this.
  15. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I can't believe they wouldn't be working on him throwing on the run. Give me a mobile QB who can throw on the move over a running QB any day.

One of the biggest advantages of a mobile QB is the ability to move him out of the pocket to throw when needed. Heck, I'm not even too concerned about him throwing on the run at the moment, I'd settle for him moving out, resetting and throwing. There have been several opportunities in games this year he could have reset outside the pocket and throw.

Russ Wilson does it all the time to great effect.

SoonerLou likes this.