Is Murray Too Risk Adverse?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Dec 1, 2020.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

The last two weeks our QB has been hurt.

2. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

NO! He has to play to give us a chance. Getting clocked and possibly injury or concussion does us no good!

CardsSunsDbacks and daves like this.
  3. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Hall of Famer

We've gotten spoiled by watching KM run for chunk yardage and crash the endzone for TDs. That is not sustainable over a season and certainly not over a long career. KM is our offense---without him we're a bunch of passengers on the bus with no driver.

KM has to be risk-averse if he is to survive the eleven heat-seeking missiles all pointed in his direction on each and every play.

nashman likes this.
  4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

right, so unless Kyler is freestyling and using his legs on broken plays for huge gains, so far Kliff has shown zero ability to adjust.

5. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Posted elsewhere...but that might be a trend with Kingsbury's QBs. Mahomes wasnt noticeably better with his mechanics from his SO to JR year either.

Mel Kiper of ESPN gave the Chiefs a C-plus. He wrote: “(T)his class will hinge on Patrick Mahomes because Kansas City bet big that he’s the successor to Alex Smith. Giving up a third-round pick and next year’s first to move up 17 spots was a ton for a team with immediate needs elsewhere and some defenders getting up there in age. Mahomes has a high ceiling, but he’s going to have to learn how NFL offenses are run, and the Chiefs are going to have to rebuild his mechanics from the ground up

Steven Ruiz of USA Today gave the Chiefs a C-minus for picking Mahomes. He wrote: “Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.”

Revisiting draft grades after Chiefs took Patrick Mahomes | The Kansas City Star

I question if we need to bring in a very experienced QB coach to help out next year. I think @BritCard suggested someone a couple months ago. QB developing may not really be Kliff's thing. Just putting them in positions to succeed instead. I know we got Tom Clements, but it always seems like Kliff is working with them on drills though.

nashman likes this.
  6. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

K1 vs the Dolphins and Bills challenged tacklers

i suspect he first tweaked something vs the Bills

after Sea, he referred to being sore for a couple games.

since Buff -- far less aggressive running the ball

and i agree with Harry -- on the run with Dan Arnold engaged with a blocker, he slid 3 yards short -- he could have easily just ran into Arnolds back and probably gained the first.

LoyaltyisaCurse and Stout like this.
  7. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Imo he was at risk of being Sandwiched on that play. We dont want him taking Dolphins games like hits...in the 3rd Qrt. At least that was with the game on the line.

nashman likes this.
  8. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

At first I thought if he slid up (after backing up so far) he probably hits Isabella/ball doesnt loft.

However, the more I look at it if he darts up the middle its him vs. a DT from getting in the endzone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would have been similar to the 49ers game.

Although this goes back to my point about Kliff having a horrible feel on when to call a screen pass. Not sure we've got much on screen passes to the backs at all this year. This looked like a perfect opportunity to call one.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

You do if you upgrade your pieces like trading for Hop, having drake from training camp, and having a ton of young players take steps in their development. But even despite that the past few weeks it looks like the nfl has caught up to kk if kyler can’t do his ad hoc magic.

10. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

It seems like since the Dolphins game at least he's been making the wrong decisions on critical downs with the RPO plays. Can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th down against the Dolphins but if he hands the ball off to Edmonds it's a 1st down easily, instead he keeps it & is brought down for a loss. On the play you're talking about against the Patriots, he hands the ball off to Drake & he gets tackled for a loss, he had one defender to make miss if he kept the ball & ran right? Looked like he could've got about 10-15 yards if he kept it? I hope his decision making on those plays improves soon?

11. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Man that game sucked on Sunday.

nashman, BritCard, kerouac9 and 2 others like this.
  12. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Yet he can't be so risk averse that it costs us big-time when there wasn't even the risk of a big hit. He HAS to be more cognizant of where he is sliding on the field and he HAS to realize when he does have more time/yards. There's just no excuse for it, and it's killing us.

13. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Hall of Famer

He's making split-second decisions on the slides---realize he has to get into his slide with enough reaction time and space to give the D player(s) bearing down on him the opportunity to avoid the hit. Usually, he is pretty good at that calculation and is sliding and also avoiding the big hit. On the Pat play (that I think a lot of people are upset about), it did look a little early and cost the first down---again, he has to get down and give the D play lead time to pull up.

I've seen more 'risk-aversion' on the pass plays where he thinks he is throwing it away but is actually guilty of intentional grounding. Those mistakes are more costly than anything yet in the running-slide to avoid the hit.

Russ Smith likes this.
  14. schutd

schutd Regular User

Very hard to watch.

15. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Actually, the eye test says quite the opposite. He constantly slides short of the first, in situations where a few extra feet wouldn't lead him into a big hit. Sunday was a prime example. And ALL QBs have to make split-second decisions on those slides, so he certainly doesn't get a break there. It's a big hole in the game of a running QB, and one he absolutely MUST address. It's really hurt us this season.

Now, if we're talking the D is closing in and he's 5 yards short of the first, get on the ground, son!

GimmedaBall likes this.